WS Seat Selection

Kip Powick

Going on a short flight on WS

Opted for not paying $51.00 for my preferred seat. Take what they offer because I do not suffer from "Giantitous" and it is a short flight (3 hours)

On Line Check-in

At one point I am offered a chance to change the seat that I must sit in because I did not pay the $51.00 for the seat that is NOW  designated on my boarding pass

There are about 8-10 seats available, (737-800) and in my opinion some are worse location seats than the one that is on my Boarding Pass.....so for fun I tried  selecting a different seat

No matter what seat I selected, and obviously it was not sold NOW, I was going to be charged $51.00 for that seat whereas the designated seat I have is "free".  and , in my opinion, a better seat than all the "open" seats

Seems weird to me. If 8 seats are available now for the no-payers  and you do an online check-in, why not let the no-payer select any one of the open seats (Business class excepted) ???

Well, at least I'm not on "Scoop"☑️

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

Seems weird to me. If 8 seats are available now for the no-payers  and you do an online check-in, why not let the no-payer select any one of the open seats (Business class excepted) ???

Doesn't matter is the seat is the same or worse - whatever your motivation for wanting to change, it's an opportunity to get a few bucks.  

And how about this - I'm on a cheap fare on AC, on board the aircraft, in my seat, and the "preferred" seats in the emergency exit row (which cost to select) are empty. I asked the flight attendant if I could move there - since in the unlikely situation there is an incident, it would be good to have someone there, I was told "No, it is company policy that unless you pay for an emergency exit row seat, you cannot sit there." .... So the emergency row seats were vacant the whole flight, on both sides of the aircraft ... interesting change of philosophy ... 

13 hours ago, Airbusguy said:

If you bought the el cheapo eco fare, you aren’t allowed to pick a seat even for a fee.  You’re also not allowed to change your itinerary at all.  If you miss your originating flight, you lose the return.

Well my fare wasn’t in that category ? but I was surprised that the no cost seat occupant could pick another EMPTY seat but have to pay for it. 

3 hours ago, AvWatcher said:

And how about this - I'm on a cheap fare on AC, on board the aircraft, in my seat, and the "preferred" seats in the emergency exit row (which cost to select) are empty. I asked the flight attendant if I could move there - since in the unlikely situation there is an incident, it would be good to have someone there, I was told "No, it is company policy that unless you pay for an emergency exit row seat, you cannot sit there." .... So the emergency row seats were vacant the whole flight, on both sides of the aircraft ... interesting change of philosophy ... 

So, in theory, if there were only six empty seats on a B737 and no one paid to sit in the exit row, the flight could depart with a virtually full flight and yet no one has been briefed as an ABP. TC should have an issue with that being their policy.

4 hours ago, AvWatcher said:

How would you feel if you paid extra for the seat and I just gave the empty ones away for free to anybody who asked onboard? I'd be writing AC to ask for a refund.

19 hours ago, moeman said:

How would you feel if you paid extra for the seat and I just gave the empty ones away for free to anybody who asked onboard? I'd be writing AC to ask for a refund.

Well, you guaranteed yourself an emergency row seat - you received what you paid for, so why would you deserve a refund ? If I moved to the row because it was empty, means I was on standby for that seat - and don't we all love being on standby ... :)

11 minutes ago, AvWatcher said:

Well, you guaranteed yourself an emergency row seat - you received what you paid for, so why would you deserve a refund ?

Margins in the airline business are thin.  Airline staff have made enough in the way of concessions to enable people to fly around cheaply.  If you want a seat with extra room, pay for it.

7 hours ago, AvWatcher said:

Well, you guaranteed yourself an emergency row seat - you received what you paid for, so why would you deserve a refund ? If I moved to the row because it was empty, means I was on standby for that seat - and don't we all love being on standby ... :)

Moving to an empty preferred seat is different than being on standby and being assigned one. The first is what I consider to be theft, so I will move you back to your seat or another non-preferred seat and if you don't comply, there are ramifications.

7 hours ago, mo32a said:

Definitely won't let you in PHX.

Never been there myself, have friends who have been dozens of times. Never an issue. 

Have done the same in Anaheim, LA, Calgary, Vancouver - never an issue. Just don't go at the start of the game and expect a warm welcome. :)

1 hour ago, mo32a said:

I see people regularly moved out of seats they illegally occupied.  If the usher doesn't catch them the people that paid for the seats rat on them, as they should.

The same when I finally get a boarding card for a flight and someone is occupying the seats.

Archived