Reality

Jaydee

Posted (edited)

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/medical-assistance-in-dying-how-do-people-die-from-maid

"In Canada, the law no longer restricts MAID to people whose death is reasonably foreseeable. As of next March, people whose sole underlying condition is a mental illness will also be eligible for assisted death. A joint parliamentary committee is studying whether MAID criteria should be further expanded still, to include mature minors and advance requests."

Here's a horrible thought:

I foresee a time where MAID will be (more) freely offered to the mentally ill for (more) frivolous reasons.... some might argue that we are already there. Their organs would be harvested and specifically designated, by the patient, to the recipient of their choice in return for compensation. I would see that compensation being in a form similar to a life insurance payout provided directly to a named beneficiary at the time of death.... but essentially, it's the purchase of organs by any other name. A ghoulish idea to be sure.

At the start of this I thought no, that could never happen in Canada, for one thing, MAID would never be extended as an option for mental illness... yet it's here now.

Now I'm thinking no, designating an individual organ recipient (prior to death) and receiving payment for a named beneficiary could never happen in Canada. But when you stand the issue on its head, I'm left wondering why it couldn't, or even shouldn't happen under the framework envisioned by an already hideously immoral government.

The question (IMO) becomes why couldn't (or shouldn't) a potential MAID candidate be able to bequeath organs directly to the recipient of their choice at the time of death. And why wouldn't any financial transaction made between the donor and recipient be their own business?

Even if you put aside the notion of financial transaction... why shouldn't a candidate for MAID be able to designate the recipient of their choice for reasons of their own?

Given the number of things that I thought I would never see in my life time come to pass, and given that those things were accepted by the masses with little more than a whimper, this could easily become a WDYTWGTH question a few years from now.

Since even I could write a heart wrenching story for "Drag Queen Story Time" entitled "The Gift of Life," I no longer see the idea as a bridge too far.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

Not rocket science, when you say the words out loud deficiencies and outright madness become obvious.

If you can commit to being a political agnostic and only vote on policy, policy will provided... but it has to first be demanded.

Election campaigns are fought over such things as he's a racist and make the rich pay... not a policy in sight.... stop it. In the big free market of good ideas,I don't care what the political persuasion of those who have them are. 

The message here is eat your vegetables... stop electing them. This is from the US but it holds true here as well. If you aren't mad as hell right now you either aren't paying attention or there's no sense in even talking to you anyway.

Both are common symptoms of a society in free fall.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6308828584112

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

In the past 10 years I have had a father in law, a mother in law and a mother die. One was with maid, the other two were through natural causes.  I did not witness the maid procedure but I was there almost daily for the 2 months previous to it and their commitment never wavered once. From the the recollection of someone present, they passed away with a content look on their face.

I can definitely say from my experience I would pick MAID hands down. If given the opportunity that’s the route I will take. I guess right now that’s an easy position to take as it’s not staring me in the face, but if my choices are lying in bed suffering for months on end waiting for the walls to close in, verses quietly going to sleep before the inevitable **bleep** hits the fan,  I don’t think there will be much problem making that decision.

As for cases of the mentally unstable being offered MAID, at first thought I’m against it because another human being is making the life or death decision over another human. In some circles of thought that would be defined as murder.

The guy writing this article hasn’t even witnessed a MAID procedure, yet he is full of critiques and questions about it. He would have a lot more credibility if his objections were backed up by experience rather than arm chair quarterbacking the subject.

“ Zivot, who has never performed or witnessed MAID himself, is dead wrong, that his assumptions aren’t anchored in any published evidence and that it’s irresponsible to extrapolate findings from the autopsies of executed prisoners and claim they could be seen in the context of MAID.”

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jaydee said:

In the past 10 years I have had a father in law, a mother in law and a mother die. One was with maid, the other two were through natural causes.  I did not witness the maid procedure but I was there almost daily for the 2 months previous to it and their commitment never wavered once. From the the recollection of someone present, they passed away with a content look on their face.

I can definitely say from my experience I would pick MAID hands down. If given the opportunity that’s the route I will take. I guess right now that’s an easy position to take as it’s not staring me in the face, but if my choices are lying in bed suffering for months on end waiting for the walls to close in, verses quietly going to sleep before the inevitable **bleep** hits the fan,  I don’t think there will be much problem making that decision.

As for cases of the mentally unstable being offered MAID, at first thought I’m against it because another human being is making the life or death decision over another human. In some circles of thought that would be defined as murder. 

The guy writing this article hasn’t even witnessed a MAID procedure, yet he is full of critiques and questions about it. He would have a lot more credibility if his objections were backed up by experience rather than arm chair quarterbacking the subject.

“ Zivot, who has never performed or witnessed MAID himself, is dead wrong, that his assumptions aren’t anchored in any published evidence and that it’s irresponsible to extrapolate findings from the autopsies of executed prisoners and claim they could be seen in the context of MAID.”

It's the slippery slope feature of it that "conspiracy theorists" have always feared. Mostly they aren't wrong, just early.

The obvious argument against their position (at least in the beginning) is the one you just made... and it's perfectly reasonable. But we have seen how perfectly reasonable can quickly morph into madness though.

In short, I find your position to be reasonable, sound and compassionate, unfortunately though, I predict that it's the harbinger of things to come and those (like us) who may stand in favour of it now will seek reasonable limits on its future application (citing reasonableness and compassion in the attempt)... and fail.

I had previously thought that reasonableness and compassion could (within a nominal margin) be defined and generally agreed upon. Now we can't even agree on what a women is... so who'd a thunk (say 30 years ago) that we'd be where we are right now?

If slope still equals rise over run, the run portion of the equation is getting incrementally shorter and the rise stratospherically higher every year. Soon the pitch will be too steep to clean the chimney and we'll burn the house down with a huffy puffy chimney fire that sounds like a freight train.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I had "herd" about the recent incidents of buffalo attacks in Yellowstone and wondered if they had suddenly become more aggressive for some reason. 

Nope, people have suddenly become more stupid for some reason... these creatures get to vote BTW, it's what 3 generations of helmet and seatbelt laws get you:

A Colorado man was taken to a medical center after a bull bison attacked him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/06/29/bison-attacks-family-yellowstone-national-park-orig-jc.cnn/video/playlists/atv-trending-videos/

Edited by Wolfhunter

Could anyone actually applaud this announcement without seeing the magical level of irony in it?

.I stand in awe... robust privacy protection indeed:

Google says it will delete location history data of users visiting abortion clinics

Google said Friday it will delete entries from a person’s location history if it detects a visit to an abortion clinic

"We’re committed to delivering robust privacy protections for people who use our products, and we will continue to look for new ways to strengthen and improve these protections," Google's Senior Vice President of Core Systems and Engagement, Jen Fitzpatrick, wrote in the blog post."

Posted (edited)

The "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" crowd are getting their first meaningful whiff of self inflicted, unintended consequences. 

My point here isn't the point of the article.... it's that you can't predict the future; but you can address vulnerabilities. Giving away other people's privacy rights with little more regard than a smugly delivered t-shirt slogan always (ALWAYS) comes back to bite you.

There will be more, I have no idea what form they'll take though since I'm not clairvoyant... if you want to find out, just continue to ignore vulnerabilities. And what ever you do, don't vote on policy.

From the WDYTWGTH file" 

Some Americans are offering to help others travel out of state for an abortion. But in a post-Roe era, experts urge caution

But while many of the offers may come with good intentions, abortion rights activists and legal experts warn that in post-Roe America -- and in an age ofunprecedented digital surveillance -- those online communications may come with complicated safety and legal risks for both parties as a patchwork of drastically different abortion laws begin to take shape and go into effect.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rogers-debit-outage-bc-1.6514932

Convenience and ease of use often comes at a cost, in this case it also effected 911 service in some areas. There are real, palpable, vulnerabilities with many of the conveniences we now see as everyday life because they've become part of the infrastructure with no thought toward hardening or redundancy.

If an airline can't launch an airplane during a service interruption or programming glitch that's probably OK, but what about the military? We were getting close to that when I retired. 

Examples abound, some are listed in the article but there's lots more. If a simple fibre optic cable break can shut down everything from banking to emergency response, and grocery stores to transportation networks, I call that a vulnerability. 

Imagine the effect of an EMP event. It would shut down our society and create lasting chaos. By comparison, our grandparents wouldn't have noticed, wouldn't have been effected, and wouldn't have cared.

In short, we're deliberately creating vulnerabilities and largely ignoring them at the same time. Defence against cyber warfare / terrorism now has the potential to be huge and we should be spending big bucks on it... I don't think we are. I usually pay with cash and often get teased about it... until the lights go out.

The point can be summarized pretty easily, have you noticed that when people say to you "I never carry cash," they usually do it with an obvious level of smug satisfaction that often borders on ridicule?

It's the arrogance behind the ridicule that creates vulnerabilities that don't get addressed. If forced to fight, I'll choose arrogant opponents every time. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

"I never carry cash,"

Personally I use a Credit Card where ever possible. Even down to a package of gum. Cash or a debit card are always choices of last resort. By not using “cash” I generate a minimum of $600 back every year paid out in “cash” as a reward. That’s FREE money that would otherwise have been given up by using “cash” . 

I also NEVER pay interest. Instead of building UP a CC balance, I work DOWN a CC surplus. Been doing this for years and have conservatively pocketed 15G back into MY pocket, not some big banks year end statement.

Works for me. Never once had an issue.

Edited by Jaydee

Quote of the day from an article about invasive wild pigs in Canada.

Albeit deliberately selected out of context, I was struck by the dilemma over what to do about them tearing up a golf course. It clearly illustrates the difference between rural and urban solutions to simple problems... more accurately perhaps, between mine and their's. 

So here's the rural (meaning my) solution to the problem... EAT THE PIGS.

"There were seven or eight of them, so we had the mother and the little sucklings and they keep wandering and making a mess with their waste, and then when the golfers come they sort of beetle off," said Norm Jackson, head professional at Cowichan Golf Club in Duncan, B.C., near Victoria.

"If there's anybody out there that has any suggestions we would certainly be happy to listen," Jackson said.

Now let me try and guess the urban solution:

Humanely trap the boar(s) and neuter them before releasing back to the golf course. Set up feeding stations with irresistible piggy treats at strategic locations away from the fairway and greens and have a name the piglets contest.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Haha 1

Take a moment... try and envision yourself explaining this to village elders in Africa who are concerned about the delivery of food aid:

Oregon mom challenges state law requiring tampons in boy's bathrooms

The requirement will reportedly cost schools $5.6 million

• Confused 1

https://www.rebelnews.com/the_force_weakens_police_in_australia_struggle_to_fill_vacancieshttps://www.rebelnews.com/the_force_weakens_police_in_australia_struggle_to_fill_vacancies

The beginning of a predictable recruiting vs retention problem with police services.

This is coming here too and will also infect the military who now see woke recruiting as a solution instead of the trap that it is.

Both organizations will lose the people they most want to retain and recruit the people they don't (as a function of mass recruiting that borders on desperation). Since careers are measured in decades, this is now a long term problem.

Easily predictable, easily avoided... hard to fix. Short term madness has longterm consequences and attempts to "fix it quickly" is exactly how you make it worse. Equally predictable is the fact that MBA crew members will disagree.

Edited by Wolfhunter

11 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

https://www.rebelnews.com/the_force_weakens_police_in_australia_struggle_to_fill_vacancieshttps://www.rebelnews.com/the_force_weakens_police_in_australia_struggle_to_fill_vacancies

The beginning of a predictable recruiting vs retention problem with police services.

This is coming here too and will also infect the military who now see woke recruiting as a solution instead of the trap that it is.

Both organizations will lose the people they most want to retain and recruit the people they don't (as a function of mass recruiting that borders on desperation). Since careers are measured in decades, this is now a long term problem.

Easily predictable, easily avoided... hard to fix. Short term madness has longterm consequences and attempts to "fix it quickly" is exactly how you make it worse. Equally predictable is the fact that MBA crew members will disagree.

Many large organizations put more effort into avoiding the hiring of employees that will be a problem down the road vs hiring the best employees.  Hiring a few stellar employees does slightly raise the average of the organization but hiring a few troublemakers can be disasterous.  Here we see the police forces in many jurisdictions doing the exact opposite - hiring woke, marginally competent, millenials with bad attitudes (bad from a semi military organization POV).  And, as you say, hiring them into careers that normally last decades - huge problem.  What's that saying, "a typical manager spends 90% of his/her time dealing with 10% of the employees they manage"? That's in normal times - when the percentage of problem employees goes up so does the time required to deal with all their problems. 

Quote of the day:

"Family doctors are pushing back against claims that they are partly responsible for the woes of hospital emergency rooms across Ontario by limiting patients' in-person appointments."

Push away... work up a sweat and knock yourself out. People with eyes to see and ears to hear don't believe it.

I don't know about Ontario but it's definitely the case in my province. You can't get a doctor and you can't get an appointment. Prescriptions are renewed in the emergency department out of desperation. Even if you have a doctor, some of them here won't let you in the door if you feel sick, they diagnose conditions and issue prescriptions based on telephone calls. 

Provinces need to grow their own doctors like the RCAF grows their own pilots. Tuition and expenses would be paid and you graduate debt free. On completion of residency you go were we tell you and and stay there for 7 years... after that you're free to flee. I would reserve enough slots for school and residency to meet ongoing provincial needs and adjust accordingly.

No salaried doctor positions either, the more you do the more you make... even though they're busy, there is no problem finding a vet or dentist here, why is that? 

Actually, don't bother answering, I already know the answer.

Edited by Wolfhunter

12 hours ago, Seeker said:

Many large organizations put more effort into avoiding the hiring of employees that will be a problem down the road vs hiring the best employees.

Then perversely, from what I can see, they're failing miserably at it. It's almost as if they go out of their way to hire people who are going to be a problem and discount the people who aren't and never have been.  

That's more than a casual observation BTW,  it's personal experience. How many times have I heard "you're over qualified and wouldn't be happy here." For the longest time I had to stay at home and trim rose bushes in the rain while rejoicing in how happy I was at being excluded by virtue of proven performance (in previous jobs) over a period of decades.

Potential employers can't seem to grasp the notion that some of us aren't going to move to Toronto to pursue (what is at best) a minimum wage job in our chosen field. Being an experienced pilot is actually a detriment when it comes to local job searches.

Only reputation solves that problem, once established though, you get real busy and real popular. It seems that even showing up on time is a highly praised and valuable commodity. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Only reputation solves that problem, once established though, you get real busy and real popular. It seems that even showing up on time is a highly praised and valuable commodity. 

Simply being able to speak English is becoming a valuable job skill.  I was talking to a person who does training for new employees at a particular organization.  According to them, anyone who can walk through the door will be hired but the newhires are untrained, lack basic mechanical aptitude and, worst of all, don't understand what is being told to them.  Well, that's what you get when you're paying basically minimum wage for a job that has certain physical demands - for the same money the applicants can work in a nice airconditioned environment.

When I see liberals feeding laying mash to their roosters in anticipation of getting eggs, I'll believe that they believe what they're saying.

So far, none seem willing to commit to a flock of roosters and the only consistent response I've gotten from them is: "don't be silly.

This might be the "silly" they were talking about

In a liberal world, would it be fraudulent to sell roosters to people who wanted them specifically for eggs and didn't know anything about raising them... say first time urban chicken them/theys.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Europe on the verge of new migration crisis thanks to woke policies causing global food shortages

'We have to prepare also for refugees coming from other areas because of food security,' the EU's border and coast guard director told reporters.

Indeed they are... and largely self inflicted to boot.

Food shortages are what the authors of the Federalist Papers would have referred to as "an inducement to war."

Even when vulnerabilities are stated in clear terms by people who's job it is to track such things... simple facts get ignored, and not innocently either, they're ignored in a manner that any casual observer could only describe as deliberate. 

Fire the MBA crew... this seems to be growing legs, PNR on the food availability front looms and whether it's a price or availability issue that triggers the shortages is mostly moot now, especially if you're hungry. While the ladies in black are likely surprised by the global appetite for starvation, they will certainly give it to those who insist on having it.

Has anyone noticed that Bill Gates is buying up farm land with gusto? Stop listening to what these people say and take note of what they do. 

Edited by Wolfhunter