Reality

Jaydee

18 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Very true, and contrary to popular belief, there's a lot of good people working very hard. They rarely get the credit they deserve.

The party system seems problematic to me though. It would be a long discussion on process, but I think election reform and an independent (and elected) senate with real clout would be a good start. 

Imagine a world where the party affiliation of a riding candidate wasn't revealed until after the election. It might force people to elect the best candidate in their riding and let the chips fall where they may. In simplistic terms, maybe that's the intent of our system.

It seems to me that if you ask someone who they voted for they always name the party leader. Ask them the name of the riding candidate they voted for and they don't remember.

First-past-the-post is the problem.  What we need is some sort of proportional system - 20% of the vote goes to "Party X" so they should get 20% of the seats.  This would force consensus.  Vastly improved over simply the 51% party whipping the vote.

On 5/30/2022 at 10:21 PM, Seeker said:

The AR15 is popular with the public in the USA because the ammo is cheap and available and because the firearm itself is off-patent, widely manufactured and has vast 3rd party aftermarket support.  Since there is wide availability the cost is low - therefore it appeals to  criminals in the USA.  That's it.  Nothing magical about the AR15 - it's cheap and available therefore it's most commonly used by those with ill-intent.  There are many firearms that would do the "job" better - better penetration of body armour, accurate at longer range, higher damage potential, etc, etc.  In Canada the AR15 is restricted (well, it was restricted, now it's prohibited) therefore not readily available, therefore not used in crime.

America's version of the AK47. Cheap. Easy to fix/replace. Reliable weapon for killing many people in a very, VERY short period of time (seconds).

10 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

America's version of the AK47. Cheap. Easy to fix/replace. Reliable weapon for killing many people in a very, VERY short period of time (seconds).

Well, sure , that's true, an AR15 can kill people.  The issue is that when the anti-gun voices speak up they focus on the tool rather than the problem.  The belief seems to be that getting rid of the tool would get rid of the problem - this is not the case.

The AR15, in the USA, is cheap, available and effective but if you could magically make them all disappear would the problem disappear?  No, it would not.  A single 12 ga shell with 00 Buck is approximately equivalent to 9 rounds fired from a 9MM handgun.  Think about that.  A shotgun is vastly more powerful than an AR15.  A handgun or rifle in caliber 5.7X28 will penetrate body armour and is massively more dangerous than an AR15 - this is not an AR15 - it's a completely different thing.  A simple .22 caliber rifle would be perfectly effective at killing a large number of people in an enclosed space.  The point here is that focusing on the tool is the wrong thing to do.  The problem is trying to figure out why the society is producing mass murderers not why the mass murderers are using AR15s.

Magically eliminating AR15s without solving the problem of the mass murderers is a mugs game - someone with murderous intent will use whatever tool is available to them.  If they can use an AR15 - fine.  If that is not available to them they will use a shotgun, or a hunting rifle or ANFO or a minivan or anthrax or rat poison.  You see?  You must solve the problem of the individual with the intent not the tool they choose to use.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Seeker said:

The problem is trying to figure out why the society is producing mass murders not why the mass murders are using AR15s.

Agreed, It seems to me that until significant effort is put into figuring that out and mitigating it, the problem will continue unabated.

I've never taken the time to look deep into the individual backgrounds of these shooters, surely there are some common threads there that contribute to causation. Reduced to an absurd analogy, if we can convince an entire generation that sheet music and advanced math is racist, surely convincing them that shooting children is the very definition of evil is within our collective grasp.

If the magic you refer to was somehow applied across the board, to all firearms of all types overnight, I shudder to think of what options people bent on mass murder and suicide would turn to in their stead. 

For me, the systemic lack of commitment to addressing real issues has changed from being a source of curiosity (bordering on wonder), and entered the realm of being downright offensive. Thank goodness we don't take the same approach to aviation safety and accident investigation... imagine if we did though.

Here's the quote of the day... it illustrates exactly what I mean by offensive in terms of simplicity, efficacy and intent and I'm heartened by the fact elements of the mainstream media are beginning to see it too. What this actually says to me is that cracks are forming in the liberal/NDP coalition... JT appears to be looking ahead and shaping future election issues to his purpose. This is Sun Tzu artistry at work:

The Liberals’ new gun control bill, C-21, doesn’t even need to be passed into law to achieve its desired ends. That’s because Liberal firearms policy is not about reducing crime, but firing up the party’s left-wing base and forcing Conservatives to take a stand against gun control. It’s performative political theatre at its finest.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

...until significant effort is put into figuring that out and mitigating it, the problem will continue unabated.

Here's a developing story that speaks directly to my concern, almost as if it were on cue. For reasons yet to be determined, we have, or appear to have, multiple shooters in a cooperative effort with common intent in a seemly random event.

Whatever the investigation into this reveals, the notion of "the tool" being causal seems overly (IMO even dangerously) simplistic in terms of addressing and mitigating tragic outcomes. 

3 dead, 11 injured after shooting at popular night spot in Philadelphia

Multiple shooters were seen firing into a crowd, Philadelphia police say.
Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

Consider the following book cover, its from 1937. If released in schools today it would cause a firestorm of offence nation wide. Individual views on the subject matter may vary, but my point in posting it is simply to illustrate that society has changed far (and I mean FAR) more than firearm technology.

image.png.774037c9e2f29cd4723d32f6f896f228.png

Now consider the Winchester model 1907 (from the year 1907). It's a semi automatic rifle with a detachable box magazine, the cartridges were designed the previous year. In any case, for some reason, people back then didn't run around shooting each other's children. 

There has been a perfect storm of change in society, if listed individually, their causal effects would be instantly ridiculed, if listed in totality, the length of the dissertation would ensure that no one would take the time to even read it. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

An interesting case here that might challenge both the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" crowd and the anti gun lobby."

The question being, what regulation would you enact in order to prevent deliberate, premeditated homicides like the one below.

IMO, if she had a gun she would have shot him, in the absence of a car, she would have clubbed him with a bat in his sleep (baby seal thing), or lacking a bat she would have gotten him drunk and stabbed him in the heart with screw driver when he passed out.

Since it's an aviation forum, the other option is "what regulation would you suggest to prevent another occurrence of mass murder via pilot suicide?

During a half roll and pull through, that 90 Lb FA that replaced the Capt (when he went to the lav) won't cut it.  I'm guessing that pilot diapers with a 14 hour capacity might worsen the existing crew shortages but I propose that as a solution. But hey, I'm retired... if you wearing a diaper for 14 hours saves even one life, then we should mandate it. 

See, I can do this too.

An Indiana woman was charged with murder after she allegedly followed a man she said was her boyfriend to a bar using an Apple AirTag, accused him of cheating on her and proceeded to intentionally run him over with her car, court documents show.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

we have, or appear to have, multiple shooters

Details are filtering in now. I'll analyze the events as if I were a liberal... ready?

Somebody disrespected somebody, then somebody did something.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Food security is national security and a crisis is coming

We need to ensure that America’s food can’t be held hostage by anyone

Yes there is, yes you do, and maybe you should have thought of it sooner eh?

A bit late, but there are occasional signs of awareness. When challenged, the MBA crew will start their response with: "no one could have predicted..."

But wait, NOT being able to predict the future is, in and of itself, entirely predictable. That's why we analyze vulnerabilities and fix them. Ignoring and openly ridiculing people who point them out (and suggest remedial action) simply hastens that predictably unpredictable result.

As my grandfather used to say, "an honestly built boat doesn't leak."

Cute slogan though... "food security is national security." Now the MBA crew will be singing that tune as if they invented the bloody concept in the first place.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

“ Top Gun: Maverick breaks box office records on opening weekend “

“Top Gun' stays aloft with $86M in its 2nd weekend”

CA6D121F-645A-44D6-9F52-3F97B095F66E.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

Posted (edited)

What is a Woman? One would think that’s a fairly obvious question, even in the madness of the last 10 or so years

There is now a film out on exploring the darkest depths of gender ideology.  We all know most media is controlled by the LEFT….and those same outlets are now refusing to even watch the movie, let alone critique it. YES…believe it or not they are that close minded. Much like Covid policy…BLM riots…MeToo…whatever…The LEFT basically proclaims …” This is the way it is, we don’t want to hear what you have to say…the subject is settled…so accept it and move along or STFU.”

What ever happened to this world when an idea is shut down even before its reviewed? The older I get the further north I want to move.

Edited by Jaydee

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 6:50 AM, Wolfhunter said:

Agreed, It seems to me that until significant effort is put into figuring that out and mitigating it, the problem will continue unabated.

I've never taken the time to look deep into the individual backgrounds of these shooters, surely there are some common threads there that contribute to causation. Reduced to an absurd analogy, if we can convince an entire generation that sheet music and advanced math is racist, surely convincing them that shooting children is the very definition of evil is within our collective grasp.

If the magic you refer to was somehow applied across the board, to all firearms of all types overnight, I shudder to think of what options people bent on mass murder and suicide would turn to in their stead. 

For me, the systemic lack of commitment to addressing real issues has changed from being a source of curiosity (bordering on wonder), and entered the realm of being downright offensive. Thank goodness we don't take the same approach to aviation safety and accident investigation... imagine if we did though.

Here's the quote of the day... it illustrates exactly what I mean by offensive in terms of simplicity, efficacy and intent and I'm heartened by the fact elements of the mainstream media are beginning to see it too. What this actually says to me is that cracks are forming in the liberal/NDP coalition... JT appears to be looking ahead and shaping future election issues to his purpose. This is Sun Tzu artistry at work:

The Liberals’ new gun control bill, C-21, doesn’t even need to be passed into law to achieve its desired ends. That’s because Liberal firearms policy is not about reducing crime, but firing up the party’s left-wing base and forcing Conservatives to take a stand against gun control. It’s performative political theatre at its finest.

Notwithstanding your reasoning, there is absolutely, and I mean absolutely no good reason for a civilian to own this or anything like this weapon. Read this: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opinions/guns-ar-15-uvalde-school-shooting-fanone/index.html

A truly reasonable explanation from someone that knows what these weapons of war do in the hands of civilians.

EDITTED TO ADD "NO" good reason. Measure twice, cut once...then cut again...

Edited by Moon The Loon

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

A truly reasonable explanation from someone that knows what these weapons of war do in the hands of civilians.

Hi there, good to see you on the dark side of the forum.

IMO, the AR-15 is the "Good Year Tire" of the rifle world, seeker has covered this very well in a previous reply to you so I won’t rehash what he said… I can add nothing of substance.

The fact that many impaired drivers use Good Year tires is analogous here, I get that you don’t see it that way but to me, both items are tools; elevating both, or either one to the status of “cause factor”  seems like a big  leap that fails to address the root cause .  

As for being a "weapon of war," If you can name a single military in the world who uses the AR15 with a 5 round magazine, I’d appreciate being schooled on it. This critter is nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable box magazine and black plastic stock. In real terms, its technology hasn’t changed a whole lot since 1907, nor has pistol technology changed much since 1911.

I bet we can both agree that society has though. If I recall, seeker covered that quite well too.  

In terms of "need," I guess we could have a whole thread on that and compare drowning deaths to pools, golf courses to dwindling farm land, engines larger than 2.0 litres with our commitment to the Paris accord and a host of other "needs" that many (right here) would characterize as a hobby. Muscle cars driven by bank robbers fleeing police custody shouldn't reflect on responsible drivers. I guess it would be a long thread eh?

Comparing Canadian regulations with the US is the very definition of false equivalency despite the popularity of doing so. It’s the road to nowhere in terms of comparison, and given the cost of gas, it's a detour that few who are familiar with the Canadian rules consider worthy of traveling.

While I’m proficient with the type, I don’t have much use for it, there are better legal options available IMO...  I'm pretty sure you would like them even less than the AR.

Cheers

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Military recruitment lags despite reduced targets, record incentives to boost interest

This is from the US but I would expect to see a similar result in Canada. The military shift to woke, across the board and right down to preferred pronouns in your signature block, serves as a disincentive to both recruiting and retention IMO.

First off, other than statistically insignificant numbers, woke people, and those with extreme left wing views tend not to join the military... that largely comes down to their own bias BTW. And secondly, the pool of those who do join (or would join), in general, simply can't be bothered with woke nonsense.

I would hasten to add that the "unwillingness to be bothered with woke nonsense" doesn't stem from bias, hatred, white supremacy, white nationalism or any other of the standard labels. When I say can't be bothered, I mean exactly that.

It's bit like your mother rolling her eyes at the idea that sheet music, math and a host of other inanimate objects have suddenly become racist. As a retired teacher, she would likely shake her head at the notion that if she didn't meow back to a cat gendered student that she'd get fired.  She isn't a racist by virtue of the fact that she doesn't care, can't be bothered and wants no part of it. As an aside, some long serving members I know personally are taking early retirement now because they simply "can't be bothered." 

I can honestly say that I wouldn't make a career out of the military now either, again, simply because of the pervasive  nonsense of an organization gone mad... it would become all consuming and invasive for me.

I'd end up picking "bunny gender" and going with the pronoun "bunny self." I'd demand a special bunny friendly diet on deployments and attach pink bunny ears to my helmet. The absolute absurdity of it all would become a perverse hobby of sorts for me and serve the interest of no one.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

https://www.rebelnews.com/texas_lawmaker_announces_bill_banning_minors_from_attending_drag_shows

As predicted, and for good or ill, we now see the whipsaw effect of extreme positions (both left and right).

There will always be equal and opposite pushback at the extremities and it's a frivolous internal distraction for a democracy that's already imperilled by external forces. It lends credence to the notion that, like Meat King chickens fed a diet of corn, societies always collapse under their own weight. 

Regardless of political persuasion, and IMO of course, this heralds a trend in the trajectory of our society that's a bit more scary than making a small donation to the AEF.

Edited by Wolfhunter

spacer.gif

boris2.jpg

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson addresses his cabinet in Downing Street, London, June 7, 2022

WORLD

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson tried to shore up his leadership by setting out a raft of new policies to ministers after he narrowly survived a confidence vote that revealed the scale of the threat to his position. We look at what's ahead for Johnson.

Foreign tourists visiting Japan will be required to wear masks, take out private medical insurance and be chaperoned throughout their stay, the government said, as it plans a gradual opening from two years of COVID-19 restrictions.

South Korea and the United States staged a joint air power demonstration during a visit by U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman, who said there would be a strong and clear response if North Korea were to conduct a nuclear test.

The White House excluded Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua from the U.S.-hosted Summit of the Americas this week, prompting Mexico's president to make good on a threat to skip the event because all countries in the Western Hemisphere were not invited.

The South African government said it was taken aback by Ryanair's decision to force UK-bound travelers holding the country's passport to take a test in Afrikaans language to prove nationality, calling the move a "backward profiling system".

U.S.

A former member of Donald Trump's cabinet will attempt a return to the U.S. Congress in Montana and California Democrats concerned about crime may oust one of their own as voters head to the polls in midterm primary elections in seven states.

State police in Michigan have obtained warrants to seize voting equipment and election-related records in at least three towns and one county in the past six weeks, police records show, widening the largest known investigation into unauthorized attempts by Trump allies to access voting systems.

A judge blocked a Louisiana Republican redistricting map that created only one majority-Black congressional district in the state, ordering the state legislature to redraw the map with a second such district within the next two weeks.

The former leader of the right-wing group the Proud Boys, Enrique Tarrio, and four associates were charged with seditious conspiracy for their role in the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by Trump's supporters.

A Philadelphia school teacher, an Arizona teenager and a Chicago police officer were among hundreds of people struck down by bullets over the weekend, part of a relentless wave of shootings that has pushed gun violence to the forefront of U.S. politics.

Brussels agrees new law on single standard charger in blow to Apple

Move to adopt USB-C follows more than a decade of discussions between regulators and tech groups

19a6e168-20f1-45d4-add7-9300d086497f.jpg

Tue Jun 07, 2022 - Financial TImes

by Javier Espinoza in Brussels

Regulators in Brussels have agreed a long-awaited deal that will force companies such as Apple to use a common charger for smartphones and laptop computers.

The agreement on Tuesday follows more than a decade of discussions as regulators argued such a device was needed to counter electronic waste and curb the number of chargers consumers have to carry.

The new law will come into effect in 2024 and will see USB Type-C become the common charging port for devices such as cameras and mobile phones. The move will have a particular impact on Apple’s iPhones, which use a Lightning cable while Android-based devices already use the new standard.

Fifteen categories of products will fall under the scope of the new law, including earbuds, video game consoles and ereaders, which is likely to affect other companies such as Huawei and Samsung. Laptops have been given more time — 40 months — to make the transition to the single charger because of technical issues.

Thierry Breton, the EU’s commissioner for the single market, said the deal would bring about €250mn of savings to consumers.

“European consumers will be able to use a single charger for all their portable electronics — an important step to increase convenience and reduce waste,” he said.

He said: “Our deal today shows that once again — and despite lobbying efforts — the EU general interest has prevailed. We are not doing this regulation ‘against’ anyone or any company in particular — but ‘for’ our EU citizens.”

Breton added that the law would also allow new technologies such as wireless charging to “emerge and to mature without letting innovation become a source of market fragmentation and consumer inconvenience”.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The tech giant has previously hit back at the move, arguing it will deprive consumers of the choice to buy lower-priced older models that are compatible with their existing accessories and chargers.

Alex Saliba, the MEP leading the discussions at the European parliament, said that when the law was assessed in four years’ time, legislators would also discuss whether to legally force companies to sell a charger separately from a device, which would give consumers more choice.

He said the pushback from tech companies over a common single charger had been particularly strong as illustrated by the length of the discussions, which took more than 10 years under at least two different commissions.

“This will revolutionise charging technology. One charger for all,” added Saliba.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://torontosun.com/news/local-gun-club-members-feel-targeted-by-new-gun-bill

Anecdotal gym talk to be sure, but I'm starting to think JT's new effort lacks legs. The buying and selling spree may all come to naught.

Even people unfamiliar with Canadian regulations now realize the influence of smuggling from the US and know this doesn't address the real issue. When it comes up, I always ask people if they support the idea of tax dollars being used for a buy back... I haven't gotten a yes yet.

The fact that AR15s in Canada haven't seen the light of day since they were prohibited, is actually a testament to the character and compliance of registered owners, people seem to get that too (once you provide a bit of context).

This is a quote from the article... it's ubiquitous but manages to annoy me every time I see it:
Owners of assault weapons would be forced to sell them to the government through a mandatory buyback program.

A semi automatic rifle without selective fire simply isn't an assault rifle and my pickup truck doesn't become a race car by virtue of adding an STP sticker to it.

If I suggested that a truck so adorned should have its insurance and registration fees doubled (because it's a race truck), people would see through that in a heartbeat.

If you were to put the AR15 action into a wooden stock with no pistol grip, none of this would even be a source of discussion in Canada. Information is key here and if the media actually does its job, I can't see this passing... or if it does, not being repealed by the PCs.

If I were a PC Prime minister, I would grossly inflate the buyback costs, float a trial balloon in the media to garner outrage and have them compare the efficacy of it to the long gun registry. Then I'd shut the whole thing down with the blessing of most voters and get to work on gangs and border controls. 

JT's misinformation and absurdities in the development of wedge issues are best countered with the same technique IMO. Conservatives need to beat him at his own game using his own playbook on home ice. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

2 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

If you were to put the AR15 action into a wooden stock with no pistol grip, none of this would even be a source of discussion in Canada.

Not necessarily true - I know a guy who has a really nice Mini-14 sitting in a safe.  It's a wood stock and the action is completely different from the AR-15 but somehow still get's tagged as an assault rifle.  This is why I don't get too worked up about the term "assault rifle".  It's meaningless in that it can be anything.  Today an assault rifle is the AR-15.  If they were all gone an assault rifle would be a Browning BAR with a 4 round internal mag and when they're gone it will be a Winchester '92 lever action 3030 and then an Enfield.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Seeker said:

It's a wood stock and the action is completely different from the AR-15 but somehow still get's tagged as an assault rifle.

It's also interesting to note the platforms that didn't get tagged. I don't even want to mention them for fear of the jinx, but there was little rhyme or reason to the entire undertaking.

I now avoid all coverage of the NS shooting inquiry for fear of suffering the same Ischemic Stroke that the creator of the list appears to have fallen victim to.  

I'm loath to accept any change to the definition of assault rifle though, it's pretty clear and the deliberate misuse of the term is an obvious ploy to turn a banana into an orange.

The FNC1-A1 was classified as a battle rifle, it didn't have selective fire and thus didn't make the cut for assault rifle. Calling it what it isn't and wasn't in order to illicit a visceral reaction in the public is pretty shady IMO. In any case, it stands as prohibited largely due to the ease of making trigger sear modifications.

On the other side of the coin, we see the government going to great pains to label RCMP rifles as"patrol carbines." It falls under the same shady banner to me, especially in a world where words seem to matter more than fit and function.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

For the US, New York has relatively strict gun laws... here's some background:

https://www.findlaw.com/state/new-york-law/new-york-gun-control-laws.html

Then there's this... I refer to the embedded video here and wonder what regulation would have prevented it. Would making it illegal to commit murder while wearing horizontal stripes work?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-shooting-video-police-suspect-queens

They really need to get busy on the causal issues here, responding to criminal / gang violence with defunding police, easing bail conditions or enacting further regulation for criminals to ignore is getting far too many people killed now.

Then there's reality, here's the sort of absurdity that makes progress on real issues so difficult:

The View co-host Joy Behar: Gun laws will change 'once Black people get guns in this country'

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

The View co-host Joy Behar: Gun laws will change 'once Black people get guns in this country'

Several jokes spring to mind - none of which I'll post with my name attached.

On a serious note though, think about what this comment from her implies.

'Sometimes' OK to play songs containing F-word on French radio: broadcast council

photo: Pexels.comphoto: Pexels.com

It's acceptable in most cases for French radio stations to play English songs containing the F-word during the daytime, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council said Wednesday.

In a written decision, the organization said that when the overall programming is in French, only songs where the word is used frequently or to insult someone breach its code of ethics.

The council's code of ethics limits use of the F-word on English stations to late evening broadcasts, but notes that the word doesn't have the same "vulgar connotation" in French.

"The CBSC has acknowledged that those words do not have the same severity when used by French speakers, so it established a different standard for the use of the English F-word in French-language programming," the organization wrote in a news release.

The organization said its French-language panel investigated after a listener complained about hearing what she described as "violent, vulgar and sexual" language on a Quebec City pop music radio station.

The music in question included uncensored versions of hit songs by Lil Nas X, Ariana Grande and Kid Cudi, and Gayle.

The listener acknowledged that the F-word is less severe in French, but argued that English songs broadcast on French stations should be considered English programs.

The station argued otherwise, adding that the songs were hits and that the station wanted to "maintain the integrity of the work."

The decision from the CBSC, a self-regulatory organization created by private broadcasters to deal with viewer or listener complaints, sided largely with the station, CHXX-FM. It agreed that as a French station, more lenient rules apply to the music it plays, even if the lyrics are in English.

However, one of the songs the panel analyzed -- "abcdefu" by Gayle -- violated the code of ethics because the F-word was used repeatedly and directed "in a very aggressive way" at a series of individuals related to the singer's ex-boyfriend, the panel found.

According to the news release, the panel agreed that, even if the occasional F-word is acceptable, broadcasters should try to offer high-quality content and should consider playing edited versions of the songs when possible.

"Even if a station's music targets a younger audience, there is always a choice to be made, and the panel is of the opinion that this choice should always encourage the use of civil language and be sensitive to audience expectations, especially during peak listening hours," the panel wrote.

It suggested that in programming where the use of offensive words in either French or English is inevitable, broadcasters should acknowledge them by apologizing or advising people in advance in order to allow them to tune out if they prefer.

- This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 8, 2022.