Reality

Jaydee

Posted (edited)

From Global News this morning:

... 29 per cent of respondents said Ontario New Democratic Party Leader Andrea Horwath would be the best premier for Ontario, while 22 per cent said the same of Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca

Is it reasonable to assume a connection between provincial and federal voting trends? I would concede that It doesn't always hold true but there has to be some overlap in thinking, values, goals, etc. 

This says to me that despite everything that's happened, a majority of people like what they see at the national level and want more of it. Throw in the greens and the Bloc and we push it close to that influential 70% level. In the absence of radical ideas, that would be fine but it's a tipping point for oppressing the remaining 30% with impunity... I don't know why that is, but it seems to hold true in every political endeavour and we've seen enough of it right here to lend credence to the observation.

Trouble is that during periods of hard core polarization, 30-35% is not a statistically insignificant number of dissenting voices who know they will be hurt if elections don't go their way. Demographic concentrations (ridings, districts, rural areas etc) often give that 30% group more sway than the majority anticipate.

IMO, it's a universal (near) constant that always results in problems that when viewed in hindsight, could easily have been avoided with compassion, common sense, and the primacy of existing constitutional law.

In my limited and clearly anecdotal experience, it's simply an issue of human nature. When individual rights, freedoms and a previously robust legal structure fail to protect the interests of a statistically significant  minority, tyranny increases in direct proportion to the inevitable pushback and soldiers in blue hats patrol the streets. 

Inflation, shortages, supply line problems, hoarding and a robust black market economy always accompany it. I don't know why that is... and even if the MBA crew can explain why, be assured that they won't.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

Total and complete ownership of this falls directly on the shoulders of the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" crowd. Far too many people parroted this slogan without a moments consideration for how it might effect their own privacy. 

70 percenters should note that when you advocate for trampling the rights of others, it always comes back to bite you. 

I don't have (or even want) a smart phone... it would never survive the experience intact. I have the dumbest of dumb phones whose only claim to fame is indestructibility. Given that, I think they should be able to search your smart phone as a matter of course and at will...  see how that works?

OK, for the record, I don't actually feel that way at all but it illustrates the point eh? 

New bill proposes changing Customs Act to give border guards new rights to search your phone

Edited by Wolfhunter

I get the argument for hunting rifles. However I don't see the argument for the AR 15 that is essentially designed for military use. The 18 year old in Texas purchased 2 of these in a sporting goods store and now we have all those grade 4 kids dead.

When we talk about gun control we shouldn't lump all guns in together. There is a difference.

AR-15-5d10291a8dd16f1670be2c81b823248f4076af10-s1100-c50.jpg

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, GDR said:

When we talk about gun control we shouldn't lump all guns in together. There is a difference.

Not according to the Trudeau government…basically they banned guns that look bad and are painted black……this is only a partial list…..I stopped at guns that begin with “C”

2) Part 1 of the schedule to the Regulations is amended by adding the following after item 86:
Other

87 The firearms of the designs commonly known as the M16, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles and the M4 carbine, and any variants or modified versions of them — other than one referred to in item 47, 49 or 50 of this Part — including the

(a) 2 Vets Arms 2VA-10;

(b) 2 Vets Arms 2VA-15;

(c) Accuracy Systems A-15 Custom Edition LR Tech Tactical;

(d) Adams Arms AA15;

(e) Adams Arms AASF-308;

(f) Adams Arms Multical;

(g) ADC ADC234;

(h) ADC ADC253;

(i) Adcor Defense A556 Elite GI;

(j) Adcor Defense ADC15;

(k) Adcor Defense B.E.A.R.;

(l) Adcor Defense Elite;

(m) Addax Tactical ADDAX-ZK;

(n) Addax Tactical AT-15;

(o) AdeQ Firearms L-Tac;

(p) AdeQ Firearms Paladin;

(q) AdeQ Firearms Venator;

(r) Advanced Armament Corporation MPW;

(s) Advanced Armaments Incorporated M15;

(t) Aero Precision A15;

(u) Aero Precision AP15;

(v) Aero Precision G15 Ghost Gun;

(w) Aero Precision H15;

(x) Aero Precision M4 Carbine;

(y) Aero Precision M4E1;

(z) Aero Precision M5;

(z.001) Aero Precision M16A4;

(z.002) Aero Precision Pistol;

(z.003) Aero Precision P-15 PEW;

(z.004) Aero Precision STS15;

(z.005) Aero Precision X15;

(z.006) Airtronic DMR;

(z.007) Alamo Tactical AT-15;

(z.008) Alberta Tactical Rifle AT15;

(z.009) Alexander Arms AAR15;

(z.01) Alexander Arms AAR15 Beowulf;

(z.011) Alexander Arms AAR15 Beowulf Overwatch;

(z.012) Alexander Arms AAR15 Genghis;

(z.013) Alexander Arms AAR15 Grendel;

(z.014) Alexander Arms AAR15 Grendel Overwatch;

(z.015) Alexander Arms AAR17;

(z.016) Alien Armory UFO-10;

(z.017) Ambush Firearms A11;

(z.018) Ameetec Arms AM-15 General;

(z.019) Ameetec Arms AM-15 Modular;

(z.02) Ameetec Arms AM-15 M4 Tactical Master;

(z.021) Ameetec Arms AM-15 Standard Tactical;

(z.022) Ameetec Arms AM-15 Standard Varmint;

(z.023) Ameetec Arms AM-15 Tactical Predator;

(z.024) Ameetec Arms AM-15 Varmint Master;

(z.025) Ameetec Arms AM-15 9MM;

(z.026) Ameetec Arms WM-15;

(z.027) America Remembers Colt AR15A2 Match HBar Vietnam Commemorative;

(z.028) American Defense Manufacturing UICH;

(z.029) American Defense Manufacturing UIC 10A;

(z.03) American Historical Foundation Colt AR15A2 Sporter Match HBar Vietnam Tribute Special Edition;

(z.031) American Historical Foundation Colt AR15A2 Sporter Target Operation Desert Storm Commemorative;

(z.032) American Precision Arms A15;

(z.033) American Spirit Arms ASA15;

(z.034) American Spirit Arms ASA15 Pistol;

(z.035) American Spirit Arms ASA308;

(z.036) American Spirit Arms Canadian Carbine;

(z.037) American Tactical Imports AT-15;

(z.038) American Tactical Imports ATI-15;

(z.039) American Tactical Imports MilSport;

(z.04) American Tactical Imports MilSport Canadian;

(z.041) American Tactical Imports Omni;

(z.042) American Tactical Imports Omni Hybrid;

(z.043) American Tactical Imports Omni Hybrid Pistol;

(z.044) American Tactical Imports T14;

(z.045) Anderson Manufacturing AM-10;

(z.046) Anderson Manufacturing AM-15;

(z.047) Angstadt Arms JACK9;

(z.048) Anvil Arms AA15;

(z.049) Area 53 El Capitan;

(z.05) Area 53 El Jefe;

(z.051) Ares Defense Systems Ares-15;

(z.052) Ares Defense Systems Ares-15 MCR;

(z.053) Ares Defense Systems Ares-15 MCR Sub-Carbine;

(z.054) Ares Defense Systems SCR;

(z.055) AR Five Seven AR15;

(z.056) AR Five Seven AR57 LEM;

(z.057) AR Five Seven AR57A1 PDW;

(z.058) Armalite AR-10A;

(z.059) Armalite AR-10A2;

(z.06) Armalite AR-10A4;

(z.061) Armalite AR-10B;

(z.062) Armalite AR-10 KLM;

(z.063) Armalite AR-10 Magnum;

(z.064) Armalite AR-10NM;

(z.065) Armalite AR-10T;

(z.066) Armalite AR-102 Sporter;

(z.067) Armalite M4C Carbine;

(z.068) Armalite M15;

(z.069) Armalite M15A2;

(z.07) Armalite M15A4;

(z.071) Armalite M15A4 T;

(z.072) Armalite M15 Pistol;

(z.073) Armalite SPR Mod 1;

(z.074) Armalite SPR Mod 2;

(z.075) Armalite SPR Mod 2A;

(z.076) Armalite AR-10 Pistol;

(z.077) Armi Jager AP15;

(z.078) Armi Jager AP74;

(z.079) Armitage International BR-15-A6S;

(z.08) Armscorp AC-15;

(z.081) Arms East N8S;

(z.082) Armtech X;

(z.083) Ascend Armory A15;

(z.084) AR15 Chatterbox CB-15;

(z.085) AR15.Com ARFCOM;

(z.086) AR15.Com AR15.Com;

(z.087) AXTS AX556;

(z.088) Badrock Tactical BR10;

(z.089) Badrock Tactical BR15;

(z.09) Bartlett Enterprises 1202009;

(z.091) Barrett Firearms M468;

(z.092) Barrett Firearms REC7;

(z.093) Barrett Firearms REC10;

(z.094) Battle Arms Development BAD-PDW;

(z.095) Battle Arms Development BAD-15;

(z.096) Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW;

(z.097) Battle Rifle Company BR15;

(z.098) Battle Rifle Company BR16;

(z.099) Battle Rifle Company BR308;

(z.1) BCI Defense SQS-15;

(z.101) BCM Rifle Company BCM4;

(z.102) BCM Rifle Company M4A1;

(z.103) Bean Firearms BFC-15A;

(z.104) Bear Creek Arsenal BCA15;

(z.105) Black Creek Labs BCL15;

(z.106) Black Creek Labs BCL102;

(z.107) Black Creek Labs BCL102B;

(z.108) Black Dawn BDR-15;

(z.109) Black Forge BF15;

(z.11) Blackheart International BHI-15;

(z.111) Black Leaf Industries BL10;

(z.112) Black Leaf Industries BL10B Prototype;

(z.113) Black Leaf Industries BL15;

(z.114) Black Rain Ordnance Fallout 10;

(z.115) Black Rain Ordnance Fallout 15;

(z.116) Black Rain Ordnance SPEC15;

(z.117) Black Rifle Company BRC15B;

(z.118) Blackwater BW-15;

(z.119) Black Weapons Armory BWA-15;

(z.12) Blue Line BL-15LE1;

(z.121) Boberg CDH-15;

(z.122) Bohica M16SA;

(z.123) BPM BP15;

(z.124) BPM CQB-10;

(z.125) BPM LR-10;

(z.126) Breda B4;

(z.127) Brownell’s BRN-16A1;

(z.128) Brownell’s BRN-601;

(z.129) Brownell’s XBRN16E1;

(z.13) Bushmaster Carbon 15;

(z.131) Bushmaster XM15E2S;

(z.132) Bushmaster XM15E2S Law Enforcement;

(z.133) Bushmaster XM15E2S M4;

(z.134) Bushmaster XM15E2S M4GP;

(z.135) Bushmaster XM15E2S Predator;

(z.136) Bushmaster XM15E2S Varminter;

(z.137) Bushmaster XM15E2S 450 Bushmaster;

(z.138) Bushmaster XM15E2S DCM Competition Rifle;

(z.139) Bushmaster Bushmaster 308;

(z.14) Bushmaster BAR-10;

(z.141) Bushmaster XM15E2S V Match;

(z.142) Bushmaster BR-308;

(z.143) C3 Defense C3-15;

(z.144) Cadex AR15 Karpat SPVM;

(z.145) Cadex CDX-10;

https://silvercore.ca/2022/04/01/the-complete-ban-list-of-newly-prohibited-firearms-in-canada-as-of-may-1-2020/

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 10:58 AM, GDR said:

I get the argument for hunting rifles. However I don't see the argument for the AR 15 that is essentially designed for military use. The 18 year old in Texas purchased 2 of these in a sporting goods store and now we have all those grade 4 kids dead.

AR-15-5d10291a8dd16f1670be2c81b823248f4076af10-s1100-c50.jpg

it's a circular argument.

The AR15 is popular with the public in the USA because the ammo is cheap and available and because the firearm itself is off-patent, widely manufactured and has vast 3rd party aftermarket support.  Since there is wide availability the cost is low - therefore it appeals to  criminals in the USA.  That's it.  Nothing magical about the AR15 - it's cheap and available therefore it's most commonly used by those with ill-intent.  There are many firearms that would do the "job" better - better penetration of body armour, accurate at longer range, higher damage potential, etc, etc.  In Canada the AR15 is restricted (well, it was restricted, now it's prohibited) therefore not readily available, therefore not used in crime.

As for the argument for the AR15 - it's fun to shoot.  I have 2 of them.  Can't shoot them anymore because Trudeau made that illegal but they were fun to shoot.  Essentially just a .22 caliber bullet with more powder - bigger bang, bigger flash.  It's a .22 caliber rifle on steroids.  The AR15 has nowhere near the range or power of the average deer hunting rifle but it's been turned into some sort of uber killing machine by the media.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:08 PM, st27 said:

My point is not that the courts failed to convict, but rather the behaviour of our new Canadian father …… still having trouble adjusting to his new countries’ values!

yeah no white anglo saxon protestant EVER whipped or beat his kids.  Delusional

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Seeker said:

The AR15 is popular with the public in the USA because the ammo is cheap and available and because the firearm itself is off-patent, widely manufactured and has vast 3rd party aftermarket support.  Since there is wide availability the cost is low - therefore it appeals to  criminals in the USA.  That's it.  Nothing magical about the AR15 - it's cheap and available therefore it's most commonly used by those with ill-intent

I was planning a similar response but your's was better... agree completely. The AR 15 is analogous to plywood and carpentry.

With an OIC pending (likely today), calling the CFO results in an intercept that says we are not taking calls. Likely not a coincidence IMO.

Like others in Canada, I have firearms that date back to my great grandfather when he was a young man. Those cheering the liberal virtue signalling should pause for a moment and consider analogous scenarios before celebrating the sort of loss I (and many others) face today.

Let's say you restore your grandfather's Mustang at great expense only to discover that the climate change greenies have passed a law that bans operating, buying, selling or transferring vehicles with engines in excess of 2.0 litres. Not too much of a stretch is it?

You become the last owner of a valuable antique car that you can't drive, and given the idling engine bylaws in some places, a car you can't even start. 

I'm now a single issue voter but intellectually I know that's not a good thing. As with others, I stand to suffer significant financial loss in addition to a heartbreaking loss of family history which could occur as early as my next motorcycle trip or parachute descent. For the first time in my life (including 32 years in the military) I now have to worry about my ability to  outlive a government.

The divisive nature of the last few years transcends party lines, people who are vaccine hesitant (they're mostly not crazed anti-vaxxers BTW) and those who participate in the shooting sports now represent well over 30% of the voting public and contrary to what some may think, encompass a large cross section of the political spectrum. Go to an IPSC, steel challenge or archery 3D competition and see for yourself. If you live in the GTA, it's absolutely the safest place to be.

IMO, that 70/30% ratio is historically problematic. When people fear an election result, when they face financial loss, job loss or restriction of their rights and freedoms, democracy suffers in direct proportion.

Sooner or later the perpetrators of such things get caught in their own web. The final chapter of "A tale of Two Cities" is worth review, it's a great example of timeless literature ... especially the part that refers to "long lines of the new oppressors." 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Absurdity to the point that you might confuse real news with satirical comedy: 

International Health Regulations to be restructured under new World Health Organization 'instrument'

------------------------------

World Health Organization elects China to Executive Board with zero objections from developed countries

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Breaking news, some of the MBA crew have just completed soldier 101 training...

POOF, inflation, supply line failures and sole sourcing essential commodities from potentially hostile trading partners might have consequences.... who'd a thunk eh?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/jamie-dimon-warns-economic-hurricane-fed-races-cool-inflation

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

If you have noting to hide, you have nothing to fear, right? The parrots seem to be getting worried now for some reason.

Should be fun, now you can fight to regain the rights parrots willing gave away on your behalf. Since I don't have a smart phone, and since I subscribe to the theory that "nobody needs one," I won't be signing your petition either... see how that works?

From the WTFDYTWGTH file:

Proposed new legal threshold for cellphone searches at border is 'deeply worrisome,' senators hear 

Bill S-7 sets a new legal standard of 'reasonable general concern' in order to search personal digital devices, which civil liberties groups say is too permissive 

Most of the thousands of travellers who cross the border to enter Canada each day carry a personal device, McSorley noted, which contain “troves of intimate information about the individual person, from health to financial to personal records,” as well as intimate information about other people in the individual’s life.

Edited by Wolfhunter

39 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

DB153858-3BB8-48AA-9D52-4EA916D66CE7.jpeg

Good one.

I always say; getting old doesn't give you an opinion and doesn't change your opinion, it's just makes you more likely to express your opinion.

When I was little I wanted to be a dog.

Good thing the government didn't permit me to remove my fingers and toes (to create paws) and surgically attach a permanent tail. Turning little boys into little girls without parental consent is analogous IMO.

WOOF!

DeSantis moves against transgender surgeries and puberty blockers for minors in Florida

Posted (edited)

Instead of the birds and the bees, Demonrats now want you to explain the birds and the fish.

Don't empty that aquarium into the flower garden without briefing your goldfish on cross pollination.

When you can't define what a woman is, all things become possible:

California court rules a bumblebee is a fish under environmental law

The Appellate Court ruled a lower court 'erred when it reached a contrary conclusion'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-court-bumblebee-fish-environmental-law

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Sad 1

The recent provincial election brought out opposing views of the parties….surprise. Most seemed to be against development, the 413 highway, the loss of farmland around Toronto, etc.

One statistic the came out was that 137000 people arrive in Toronto every year and builders can’t keep up.
Something has to give.

This anticipated demand was put in perspective through an article in the Globe:

“Returning to Pickering after university, Mr. Rehman set up shop as a real estate agent. He noticed a startling number of development notices going up. Appearing in a mall parking lot or at a big intersection, they would inform residents that a builder was proposing to put up some very un-suburban-looking high-rise buildings there. Curious, Mr. Rehman decided to investigate. He went on the city’s website and started to count the number of developments proposed or under way. The figure he came up with blew his mind: In his quiet community, no fewer than 75 towers are due to rise – some of them more than 50 storeys tall.”

So, growth is coming whether people like it or not. Like the condos  along the Toronto waterfront, the density will be extreme. Similar to NYC, Hong Kong, Beijing……not a place I would like to “live”.

Posted (edited)

A pretty bold (not to mention racist) statement for a black lady who's unable to define what a woman is... lets talk baby daddies shall we?

I know it's the US and all, but in general, the one issue voter concept has made life so much easier for me... no further discussion or concern for your rights until you acknowledge and respect mine. It's actually cathartic...

My response is who cares, either get back in the kitchen or take your observations to someone who does. This is pretty liberating... I should have thought of it sooner. I spent way too much time being concerned about not trampling on their rights. 

These boots are made for walking girlfriend...

MSNBC guest: ‘White Men’ are the biggest ‘threat’ to women’s ‘liberty as citizens,’ ‘right to vote’

Edited by Wolfhunter

13 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

MSNBC guest: ‘White Men’ are the biggest ‘threat’ to women’s ‘liberty as citizens,’ ‘right to vote’

Interesting argument.  To that I counter;  If you're a white man facing a custody battle or a hearing to decide support payments what is your biggest threat?  Naturally it's the overtly pro-woman court system.  If you're an unborn child what's your biggest threat?  That the woman carrying you turns out to be a raging feminist who spends her weekends wearing a pussy hat screaming, "my body, my choice" at 100 db.

As Jordon Peterson points out - the reason there aren't more women in politics is that it's a crappy job with long hours and much public criticism.  It has nothing to do with men holding it back from women.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Seeker said:

the reason there aren't more women in politics is that it's a crappy job with long hours and much public criticism

Very true, and contrary to popular belief, there's a lot of good people working very hard. They rarely get the credit they deserve.

The party system seems problematic to me though. It would be a long discussion on process, but I think election reform and an independent (and elected) senate with real clout would be a good start. 

Imagine a world where the party affiliation of a riding candidate wasn't revealed until after the election. It might force people to elect the best candidate in their riding and let the chips fall where they may. In simplistic terms, maybe that's the intent of our system.

It seems to me that if you ask someone who they voted for they always name the party leader. Ask them the name of the riding candidate they voted for and they don't remember.

Edited by Wolfhunter