Reality

Jaydee

I sure hope other Provinces look at this bill from Quebec and adopt it for their own secondary students.!

Quebec tables bill on academic freedom, says no words off-limits in lecture halls

QUEBEC — A new bill tabled Wednesday in Quebec would allow "any word" to be uttered in university classrooms as long as it's used in an academic context, the province's higher education minister said.

© Provided by The Canadian Press Powered by Microsoft News

Bill 32 is great news for Quebec students, including racialized students, because it preserves a high-quality learning environment in the province's universities, Danielle McCann told reporters.

"Classrooms are not safe spaces; they are spaces for debate," McCann said, rejecting a common notion championed on university campuses across North America that students should not have to be exposed to certain kinds of hateful speech.

The bill is needed, McCann said, because academic freedom for university teachers must be better defined and protected, adding that a legislative framework will help prevent teachers from censoring themselves.

"Censorship has no place in our classrooms … we must protect the teaching staff from censorship," she said.

"In fact, we will be able to use any word in the pedagogical, academic context, and obviously according to ethical standards, scientific rigour," McCann added.

The bill draws on a committee report last December requested by the government in response to a scandal at University of Ottawa in 2020, when a professor was suspended for using the N-word during a class lecture. A student had complained that part-time professor Verushka Lieutenant-Duval used the notorious word to explain how some communities had reclaimed certain terms.

At the time, Quebec Premier François Legault and Liberal Opposition Leader Dominique Anglade both said the university should have defended the professor for using the word in an academic context.

Jonathan Desroches, interim president of the Quebec Student Union, which represents 91,000 university students across the province, says the bill is not necessary and reflects a deeper problem: a generational gap between students and teachers.

"There must be training for not only staff, but also the student community to ensure that everyone understands the elements of diversity, equity and inclusion," Desroches said.

"A law will not ensure that discussions will take place in a respectful manner."

Bill 32's preamble defines academic freedom as "the right of every person to engage freely and without doctrinal, ideological or moral constraint in an activity through which the person contributes, in their field of activity, to carrying out the mission of such an educational institution."

The bill enshrines the right to teach, conduct research and share results, critique society and freely take part in the activities of professional university organizations. It also requires universities to adopt an academic freedom policy and appoint a person responsible for implementing the policy.

Close to 30 student unions across Quebec signed a joint statement on Wednesday calling the bill an "attack" on educational institutions.

"It's a call for repression of the student community and a populist means to rally the population against progressive ideas," the statement said. The student unions said the bill instrumentalizes academic freedom in order to claim the right to make discriminatory or provocative remarks.

"Academic freedom doesn't protect the right to say anything," the statement read. "Rather, it protects the rigorous pursuit of knowledge, the pursuit of a just and egalitarian society, and the challenge of power by scholars."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 6, 2022.

— With files from Jocelyne Richer in Quebec City.

---

image.png

• Thanks 2

if you're in favour of discharging unvaccinated troops (for safety reasons), I'm wondering how you can also be in favour of this ruling.

It seems like 70 percenter logic to me, you can be discharged for a temporary condition you don't have but not for a permanent one that you do.

I've noticed now that people who previously used "safety" as justification for involuntary releases have switched to the "disobeying a lawful command" argument in response to this ruling... more 70 percenter conditional logic translated into the talking points of convenience IMO.

Judge rules US military can't discharge HIV-positive troops

Treatment lowers risk of transmission but risk is still amplified on the battlefield where soldiers can often encounter blood

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Confused 1

The Destabilizing Power of Hunger

“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy” — Alfred Henry Lewis

If you are not paying very close attention to the impending global food crisis, you should be. There is no force or power as threatening and destabilizing as hunger, especially among a population that has grown far too accustomed to having food available in unbelievable variety and excess.

I try my best to avoid getting too worked up about possible crises (we have had our fair share of both real and over-hyped crises over the last few decades), but there is a confluence brewing of three major disruptions that actually have a real potential to throw the world (and our country) completely into a chaotic mess.

First, there is the large amount of grain and other food staples that Russia and Ukraine export that will be disrupted by the Russian invasion. For example, Russia and Ukraine make up 28% of global wheat exports. Ukraine alone constitutes 14% of global corn exports. In isolation, we have the ability to collectively handle the shock of these production/export losses without too much trouble. I read an article recently that said that Ukrainian exports made up only 2.2% of all calories consumed on the planet. We can manage that - especially because Russia and Ukraine do not make up a significant portion of rice or soybean production, which are easy high yield staple replacements for wheat and corn.

But then add on the second disruptor, the loss of fertilizer exports. As a background, there are basically three key components that make up any fertilizer: nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. These three constitute the numbers (xx-xx-xx) you see on the label of any fertilizer you buy at the store. It so happens that Russia is a major global exporter of all three components of fertilizers. Russia makes up 14% of global phosphorous exports, 15% of nitrogen exports, and (together with Belarus) 37% of potassium exports. Shortages (or prohibitively high costs) of fertilizer means we should expect to start seeing lower crop yields in the upcoming growing seasons. Again, on its own, this is a system shock we could handle. But can we handle it concurrently with the loss of Ukrainian grain exports? Now I start to get a little concerned.

But maybe we can quickly ramp up production domestically or elsewhere and move things around to compensate, right? That is where persistent disruptions in global supply chain comes into the picture. Everyone is feeling the frustrations caused by breakdowns of the supply chain as we have experienced increased levels of shortages among retailers and elsewhere. Should these issues persist, it will substantially hamper our ability to respond to the disruptions from the loss of grain and fertilizer exports.

In reality, these problems are going to be felt far worse in countries that are poorer or unable to produce their own food. So why should that be our problem in North America? Because these food shortages elsewhere will be incredibly destabilizing in those countries and has the power to topple multiple governments. We are already beginning to see the genesis of this unrest in the last couple weeks in places like Peru, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan. History clearly shows that when governments are overthrown due to rioting hungry citizens, what replaces the ousted government is often far worse. Napoleon replaced the French monarch. The Bolsheviks replaced the Russian tsar, Nazis replaced the Weimar Republic, and so on and so on. This gives me little confidence that we can firewall the problems arising out of these destabilized countries. On top of that, we unfortunately depend on many of these same countries to supply commodities and materials necessary for maintaining our own economy. Add to that the fact that we have geopolitical opponents in Russia and China who will be waiting with open arms to bring these countries under their wing. Overall, this is not a good recipe.

I am not saying that we need to go all doomsday prepper and start hoarding (yet), but if there ever was a time that we, individually, needed to start putting some food and extra necessities aside, I think that time is now. I know this is an investment site, but one investment we should not be neglecting is our own preparation. Time to start working on our gardening skills, or improving our cooking abilities so we can be less dependent on grocery stores, eating out and less wasteful with food in general.

Politically, it is time to pull our head out of the sand get serious about ramping up domestic commodity production, starting with industrial metals and materials (fertilizer material, copper, lithium, nickel, zinc, silver, palladium, antimony, and so on). Unpopular opinion on here, I know... But this post is primarily about food supply, so maybe another day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, Jaydee said:

But then add on the second disruptor...

And the third, fourth (and so on). Taken individually each is innocuous, none the less, total pressure is always equal to the sum of the partial pressures. 

Every time I think we have become wiser through experience, I see headlines (like this) that are cause for further alarm. The very things I think couldn't possibly be true usually are.

Here's an example, I would have bet money against this one.... assuming it's even true. Since I can't imagine that people with liberal values would actually vote for this guy, it probably is true.

If Cuomo launches comeback for NY governor, poll suggests competitive primary with Hochul

New poll indicates Cuomo would be ‘very much in the game’ if he runs

Edited by Wolfhunter

On 4/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, Jaydee said:

Politically, it is time to pull our head out of the sand get serious about ramping up domestic commodity production, starting with industrial metals and materials (fertilizer material, copper, lithium, nickel, zinc, silver, palladium, antimony, and so on).

So very true. Single sourcing essential commodities from potentially hostile trading partners is fraught with failure points.

Trump got a lot of bad press over the notion that relying on Canadian aluminium was a security threat. This is what he meant by it IMO... I think he was right too. When stressed, even friendly trading nations will look to their own needs first. We should expect and even defend that.

In short though, we need to stop considering best case outcomes to be the norm, or even sustainable during periods of systemic stress. If nothing else, covid exposed a bunch of vulnerabilities we should learn from and resolve not to repeat. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

Imagine if 20 years ago you were approached by a time traveler and he was like "Look, I don't have much time to explain, all I can tell you is that the year 2020 is going to be wild as **bleep**! You know Donald Trump, the star of the apprentice? Well he's the president of the United States!  He became a rich entertainer but then the rich entertainers hate him and many poor people like the rich guy. The youth turn to another old rich white guy to save them. Meanwhile at the beginning of 2020 the president gets into a Twitter beef with Iran that almost starts world war 3. Australia catches fire and a woman tries to save it by selling pictures of her tits. Kobe Bryant dies in a helicopter crash. Half the world is devastated, airplanes are grounded the other half just makes stupid memes. Tom Brady leaves the Patriots to play for the Buccaneers and just when the world starts recovering from the loss of Kobe some dude in China eats a bat and starts a global pandemic that specifically kills old people and asthmatics. Chinese make Gucci shoes and Italians die. Everyone loses their minds. 40% of the population thinks it's the end of the world another 40% thinks it's all fake and 20% blames the whole thing on cell phone towers. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the only way to survive is by hoarding toilet paper. Grocery stores are ransacked and Charmin ultra soft essentially replaces the dollar as the United States official currency. Eventually as hysteria grows, Waikiki beach is closed parks are closed and liquor stores are open. People get tickets for walking a dog world governments are forced to shut the entire planet down and lock everyone in their houses and..... the only person that can keep the people from completely losing their minds and starting a huge riot is a homosexual gun toting Oklahoma man with two husband's, a meth addiction, and 223 pet tigers...

And that was all before Spring!!!!!!!!!!

Even if they start today (and they won't) it will take years and many more deaths to undo the damaged caused by gas can social justice efforts. It's easier to lose police than recruit and train them, it's also way easier to hemorrhage tax payers than lure them back with incentives.

The other issue with mass recruiting (maybe it comes from maintaining standards with high intakes) but, you are more likely to get more of the sort of people you don't want. It creates a leadership problem for police organizations that (I would argue) already suffer from severe leadership issues

The MBA crew will always assert that the above is not true.... so ask a cop or a soldier instead.

Black leaders call on woke companies to support police, not BLM: 'They should know better'

Pastor Marc Little calls for companies to support police as crime soars

Edited by Wolfhunter

Disney stock tumbles amid Florida bill controversy

Florida passed a bill that would dissolve Disney’s special governing power in the state

Disney is poised to rank among the worst-performing stocks in 2022 after the company became embroiled in a high-profile political controversy

The stock reached an all-time high in March 2021, trading at nearly $200 per share. But it has been in free fall ever since. As the market closed Thursday, the stock was hovering near $120 per share – down roughly 33% from a year ago. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/disney-stock-tumbles-amid-florida-bill-controversy?cmpid=fb_fnc&fbclid=IwAR0ajpA7kiB5Wff5jxXI1ZhFZMSPgoLFOQVBwocZG3IF1cJmoajrHHq6enk

DB6FBDB5-6F9C-4D3F-AC97-D51F2FA11658.jpeg

• Like 1

Florida passed a bill that would dissolve Disney’s special governing power in the state

Disney is poised to rank among the worst-performing stocks in 2022 after the company became embroiled in a high-profile political controversy

Love it!

15 hours ago, Falken said:

Seeker- perhaps you will start a go fund me for my loss😂

Maybe get that trucker woman to set you up - she's good at it apparently.

15 hours ago, Seeker said:

Love it!

Posted (edited)

Woke Chickens Come Home to Roost at Disney, Netflix ,Twitter, CNN

The devastation done to the Woke Gestapo at Disney, Netflix, Twitter, and CNN is glorious and proof of God’s love for us.

As you know, my mantra since the Woke Terror began has been: Hang in there. This won’t last. I was confident of this for two reasons: 1) Woke is a violation of human nature, and 2) this is still America.

Now, if you spend all your time on social media and consuming cable news, including Fox News, you are not aware America is still America. But once you escape that toxic echo chamber and spend some time in the real world with real people, you will discover that Americans of all stripes are just like you. They just want to be entertained. They don’t care about skin color. They find people whose entire identity is based on what they do with their sex organs obnoxious and tiresome. Oh, and you’d better leave their children the **bleep** alone.

And because this is still America, the woke cretins are at long last getting what they have coming to them.

Let’s start with CNN…

For more than a decade, I’ve been telling you CNN’s power is a mirage. CNN is not popular. In fact, CNN is a punchline out here in the real world. Mention CNN in a waiting room, and people start to laugh. What artificially props CNN up is a left-wing affirmative action program called “cable TV,” where suckers like you continue to pay a fortune every month to cable channels that hate you. That’s how CNN stays in business. It has nothing to do with merit. I also told you that if CNN was ever forced to survive in a real market economy, it could not survive.

Well, CNN+ was forced to survive in the real market economy and lasted only three weeks. Lol.

CNN is a woke, left-wing propaganda outlet that spreads conspiracy theories and political violence, and it just got punched in the face by America.

The Woke Nazis at Twitter have watched their stock drop from $70 per share in July of last year to $33 per share in February. Why? Because it’s a dishonest company run by childish bullies, and this is still America. The Twitter Era is over, and the smart money knows it. You cannot run a company like Twitter runs Twitter. You can’t blacklist the President of the United States and welcome the Taliban and the President of Russia. You can’t have arbitrary censorship rules that sound like a mean little kid making it up as they go along. You can’t interfere in America’s presidential election using lies about a “hacked” laptop when everyone knew it was real.

Two things are going to happen to Twitter. Either Elon Musk will succeed with his takeover bid and right the free speech ship, or one of Twitter’s competitors will break through. Regardless, Twitter’s era as a growth company is over.

Netflix had it all… Netflix not only invented the idea of streaming TV but Netflix also figured out what it had before anyone else and immediately borrowed billions of dollars to create exactly what it needed: original content no competitor could take away from them.

But what did Netflix go and do? First, it spent those billions of dollars on hundreds of woke shows and movies no one watches. As a Netflix Streaming subscriber going back into the 2000s, it is simply remarkable to open the Netflix portal and gander at a $10 billion pile of **bleep**. Second, Netflix gave that grotesque, sex-obsessed fetishist Ryan Murphy $300 million to create something around a dozen flops. Third, they went after our kids with that indefensible Cuties movie. And now, every Netflix show and movie is gay, transsexual, white guilt, environmental hectoring from smugly unattractive characters—which is why, whenever you look at Netflix’s top ten, it’s ten-year-old box office disappointments like Cleaner (2007) and The Call (2013) always topping Netflix’s original content. The result…?

hastings.png

Reed Hastings attends the Netflix & Mediaset Partnership Announcement, Rome, 8th October 2019. (Photo by Ernesto S. Ruscio/Getty Images / Netflix, BNN edit)

In the last six months., Netflix’s stock price has tumbled from $671 to $215. The company is also starting to shred subscribers.

The fix is easy… Grow up, Netflix, and behave like a studio instead of a mewling gerbil to The Talent. Produce content people actually want to watch. Although it holds all the cards, Netflix is constantly bending over to please The Talent when The Talent is mostly made up of a bunch of self-involved, self-important babies who wouldn’t know the Real World if it kissed them on the mouth.

Finally, there’s Disney… A company built on the wonderful idea of preserving and protecting the innocence of children while teaching them healthy values to help them grow into well-adjusted adults. That same Disney just pulled the most self-destructive bait-and-switch in history.

This company is so lacking in self-awareness, so out of touch with the real world, it just stormed out of the closet to out itself as a mob of child predators and groomers determined to sexualize five-year-olds through its content and political action.

15disneylgbtq1.jpg

Walt Disney CEO Bob Chepak. Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for Disney/AP Photo/Charles Krupa/Instagram;disneyparks/Disney Channel/YouTube

Disney is now run and staffed by sexual degenerates who will not stop until every single American child has been traumatized into one of them: an unhappy, neurotic, damaged, shallow, bullying, narcissistic freak whose sole identity is defined by their sex life.

The damage Disney has done to its reputation is permanent. The stock price is plummeting. The era of Disney as a growth company has come to an end. Also, thanks to Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), the corporate welfare and sweetheart deals Disney enjoyed have been revoked. No longer can Disney use millions of dollars that should go to taxpayers to defile our children.

All of the above was inevitable, and I promise you there is more to come.

Despite the corporate media’s gaslighting campaign to make you feel outnumbered, you are not. This is still America.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/04/23/nolte-woke-chickens-come-home-to-roost-at-disney-netflix-twitter-cnn/?fbclid=IwAR20WREr8hWXgNEEQMBrUoxU9zcjhxd8kbQJBjQyrks0GucidTk2DxG-lPQ

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

They don’t care about skin color. They find people whose entire identity is based on what they do with their sex organs obnoxious and tiresome. Oh, and you’d better leave their children the **bleep** alone.

Yup, I would say obnoxious and tiresome just about covers it. 

When it arrives, the pushback will be of equal / opposite measure and duration. People who worry about polarization should consider that it has barely even begun:

University professors unhappy by Florida Gov. DeSantis' attempt to hold faculty 'accountable'

One professor said that the state of Florida's universities 'could be bleak'

Tactically, inserting yourself (or your woke ideals) between children and their parents is a losing proposition. The idea that you would have to explain that to anyone is the very definition of gobsmacking. Continuous references to QAnnon simply makes them look stupid:

NYT columnist slams ‘crazies’ in fight over ‘when to teach sexuality to schoolkids’ as ‘barbarically lunatic’

Parents trying to protect kids from sexualization in public schools linked to 'QAnon,' 'fringe'

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

How utterly stupid ( or drunk )do you have to be to antagonize (1) an ex world champion (2) someone who’s proven capable of biting your ear off?

Edited by Jaydee
  • Haha 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/racism-report-to-take-caf-to-task-for-not-doing-more-over-past-20-years-1.5874626

Nothing in my experience suggests to me that the military is systemically racist or hateful. Given the nature of military service and the fact that mission and group cohesion is widely considered more important than the individual, I would suggest that the exact opposite is prevalent and that instances of racism (and all of the other isms) are statistically insignificant and hardly systemic in nature. People like that just don’t last long, they get crushed pretty quickly... IMO, they would be seen as dangerous and no one would want to work with them.

Given my brief foray into airline flying I would make the same observation about pilots and FAs in the majority of airlines. If crew seniority lists are heavily weighted with racists, misogamists or anti-gay members I have to say I never saw it. Again, I would suggest that people of that ilk don’t do well in that environment either.

When I hear this stuff I’m inclined to think, “wait a minute, if this was truly systemic and widely pervasive wouldn’t I have seen some evidence of it?” Am I so slow and stupid that I consistently missed all of the signs over the course of a 32 year career? 

Clearly the absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence but if something is truly systemic, surely a person of average intelligence would be able to discern it in the wild… no?   

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Racism is rampant within Canadian Armed Forces: reports

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.5874885

No it's not. By any definition of "rampant" this is simply not true. Frauds and liars can only thrive with media complicity in the lie. This is every bit as false as the government and media lies that surround the statistical manipulations around gun control. 

So, Is systemic racism rampant within the pilot/FA cadre at your airline? You know damn well that it isn't... and so do I. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 2