Jump to content

Reality


Jaydee
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

Your quote if from April 2020 most of which when it talks about "corporatized healthcare systems" does not apply to Canada.   More and more I think we need a thread entitle "American POVs that do not necessarily apply to Canada.  😀

Welcome to American Capitalism (kottke.org)

Welcome to American Capitalism

posted by Jason Kottke   May 28, 2020

From an April 17th Facebook post by Paul Field, a succinct summary of how the pandemic exposes American deficiencies. It’s tough to not just quote the whole thing, so here’s the beginning:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you need to know how silly you look if you post some variation of, “Welcome to Socialism…”

You are not seeing Socialism. What you are seeing is one of the wealthiest, geographically advantaged, productive capitalist societies in the world flounder and fail at its most basic test. Taking care of its people.

This crisis is not about the virus.

This crisis is about the massive failure of our, “Booming economy,” to survive even modest challenges. It is about the market dissonance of shortages in stores, even as farmers/producers destroy unused crops and products. This crisis is about huge corporations needing an emergency bailout within days of the longest Bull Market in our history ending and despite the ability to borrow with zero percent interest rates.

The pandemic has revealed that American democracy and our economic system is extremely fragile. Ok, unless you’re wealthy, in which case you’re going to be fine, all part of the plan, etc.

While you may think it doesn't apply to Canada, the reality is that we do have a political party that is trying hard to change us into what we despise about the U.S.

They aren't successful yet, but they keep trying.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2019/01/09/the-secret-moves-to-increase-private-health-care.html

Just look at how big a push in Ontario there was to have covid shots administered by Shoppers Drug Mart.

https://mjps.ssmu.ca/2019/02/04/ford-secret-itinerary/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, deicer said:

While you may think it doesn't apply to Canada, the reality is that we do have a political party that is trying hard to change us into what we despise about the U.S.

 

Just look at how big a push in Ontario there was to have covid shots administered by Shoppers Drug Mart

Ontario, Ontario, Ontario. Here is Alberta AHS does most of the shots, helped out by Family Physicians, Shoppers Drug Marts., Calgary Co op, Safeway, Sobeys   and the list goes on.  

COVID-19 Immunization Program | Alberta Blue Cross

Ontario called in the Military, we called in our medical and pharmacy folks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kargokings said:

AHS does most of the shots, helped out by Family Physicians, Shoppers Drug Marts., Calgary Co op, Safeway, Sobeys   and the list goes on.  

Exactly, and it only makes sense to do that, it's simple logistics. 

Lots of drug stores give flu shots and can provide (limited) prescription drugs based on patient presentation. Even my little town has a drug store, they're everywhere. Doctors, not so much, don't have one, can't get one, likely will never have one here. So, y'all want to do this quickly and efficiently or not?

I've heard a lot of this (drugstore complaint stuff) coming from Ontario people, it's totally lost on me, my eyes glaze over and my only response is "cool, don't do it then, don't use the available resources, like take your time dude .... like, whatever like." 

I'll believe it's an emergency when the people screaming emergency start acting like it's a bloody emergency.

 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beauty, making the inevitable sound like a great idea and long overdue.... don't worry, LOL we're going to fix that for ya:

Yellen says higher interest rates would be 'plus' for US

Treasury secretary says interest rates have been 'too low now for a decade'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kargokings said:

Ontario, Ontario, Ontario. Here is Alberta AHS does most of the shots, helped out by Family Physicians, Shoppers Drug Marts., Calgary Co op, Safeway, Sobeys   and the list goes on.  

COVID-19 Immunization Program | Alberta Blue Cross

Ontario called in the Military, we called in our medical and pharmacy folks.

The Ford government waffled with the rollout pushing to get it to pharmacies when they already had set up mass clinics that were being run by regional health units and being paid for with federal money.

So while Alberta may have had a different experience, at 4 times the population, Ontario wasted time and money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Muslim family members targeted in fatal hit and run, police say, driver charged with murder

3 adults and 1 teen dead, child in London, Ont., hospital with serious injuries from Sunday incident

image.jpg

Mon Jun 07, 2021 - CBC News

A 20-year-old man was charged Monday with four counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in a hit and run Sunday involving a pickup truck, in what London, Ont., police believe was a targeted attack on a Muslim family of five.

Terrorism charges are also possible against Nathanial Veltman, 20, of London, said Det.-Insp. Paul Waight.

He appeared in court via video link Monday afternoon.

"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act and that the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith," said Det.-Insp. Paul Waight.  

"This is a devastating loss of four members of our community," added police Chief Steve Williams at an afternoon news conference. 

The vehicle struck the family at 8:40 p.m. ET Sunday as they walked along Hyde Park Road, in northwest London.

Dead are a:

74-year-old woman.
46-year-old man.
44-year-old woman.
15-year-old girl.
A nine-year-old boy is the only survivor of the family, officials say. He remained in hospital with serious injuries.

"These were innocent human beings who were killed simply because they were Muslim"

 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Airband said:

Muslim family members targeted in fatal hit and run, police say, driver charged with murder

3 adults and 1 teen dead, child in London, Ont., hospital with serious injuries from Sunday incident

image.jpg

Mon Jun 07, 2021 - CBC News

A 20-year-old man was charged Monday with four counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in a hit and run Sunday involving a pickup truck, in what London, Ont., police believe was a targeted attack on a Muslim family of five.

Terrorism charges are also possible against Nathanial Veltman, 20, of London, said Det.-Insp. Paul Waight.

He appeared in court via video link Monday afternoon.

"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act and that the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith," said Det.-Insp. Paul Waight.  

"This is a devastating loss of four members of our community," added police Chief Steve Williams at an afternoon news conference. 

The vehicle struck the family at 8:40 p.m. ET Sunday as they walked along Hyde Park Road, in northwest London.

Dead are a:

74-year-old woman.
46-year-old man.
44-year-old woman.
15-year-old girl.
A nine-year-old boy is the only survivor of the family, officials say. He remained in hospital with serious injuries.

"These were innocent human beings who were killed simply because they were Muslim"

 

If the report is accurate, it is not racism but rather Terrorism.  Just imagine the headlines if the driver was Muslim and the family was not.  So the charges 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

If the report is accurate, it is not racism but rather Terrorism.  Just imagine the headlines if the driver was Muslim and the family was not.

As always, it depends on the motivation behind the attack.

The definition of terrorism has remained unchanged for many years. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

As always, it depends on the motivation behind the attack.

The definition of terrorism has remained unchanged for many years. 

I agree but the headlines would have cried terrorist rather than racist.  Re terrorist attack

according to the BBC.... Police are weighing possible terrorism charges, he said, adding that it is believed to be a hate crime.

Quote

Muslim family killed in 'premeditated' truck attack

Published
48 minutes ago

Four members of a Muslim family were killed in a "premeditated" vehicle attack on Sunday, Canadian police say.

The alleged attack took place in the city of London, Ontario province. A boy aged nine, the family's only survivor, is in hospital with serious injuries.

A 20-year-old Canadian man has been charged with four counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.

The attack was the worst against Canadian Muslims since six people were killed in a Quebec City mosque in 2017.

"It is believed that these victims were targeted because they were Muslim," Detective Superintendent Paul Waight told a news conference on Monday.

Police are weighing possible terrorism charges, he said, adding that it is believed to be a hate crime.

What are the details?

The victims were two women - aged 74 and 44 - a 46-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl. They have not been named, in accordance with the wishes of the family. A nine-year-old boy was in hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, said police.

Police named the alleged attacker as Nathanial Veltman, 20, of London, Ontario. He was arrested without incident at a shopping centre about 6km (4.8 miles) from the crime scene.

It is not yet known if the suspect has ties to any hate groups, said Det Supt Waight.

"There is no known previous connection between the suspect and the victims," Det Supt Waight said, adding that the suspect was wearing a vest that appeared to be "like body armour".

Officials added that there was good weather and high visibility conditions when the black truck was seen mounting the kerb on Hyde Park Road at around 20:40 local time on Sunday.

One eyewitness told CTV News she had to shield her young daughter's eyes from the bodies.

Another witness told CTV the scene was "just chaos".

"There were people everywhere and running," said Paige Martin. "Citizens were trying to direct the emergency vehicles where to go. There was a lot of pointing and screaming and arm waving."

A 2016 census found that London - a city about 200km southwest of Toronto - is growing increasingly diverse. One in five people was born outside of Canada, with Arabs being the area's largest minority group, and South Asians coming in a close second.

What has the reaction been?

Ontario Premier Doug Ford was among those who paid tribute to the victims, tweeting: "Hate and Islamophobia have NO place in Ontario."

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted that he was "horrified" by the news.

"To the loved ones of those who were terrorised by yesterday's act of hatred, we are here for you," he wrote.

"This was an act of mass murder, perpetrated against Muslims, against Londoners, and rooted in unspeakable hatred," said London Mayor Ed Holder.

In a statement, Mayor Holder said he was speaking "on behalf of all Londoners when I say our hearts are broken".

"We grieve for the family, three generations of whom are now deceased."

 

The mayor's statement added that he had ordered flags outside London City Hall to be lowered for three days of mourning.

The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) said in a statement that the attacker should face terrorism charges.

"A man allegedly got in his car, saw a Muslim family walking down the street, and made the decision that they do not deserve to live," said the organisation's CEO Mustafa Farooq.

"He did not know them. This is a terrorist attack on Canadian soil, and should be treated as such," his statement continued.

Nawaz Tahir, a London lawyer and representative of the Muslim community, said during the police news conference: "These were innocent human beings who were killed simply because they were Muslim."

"We will stand strong against Islamophobia. We will stand strong against terror with faith, with love, and a quest for justice," he continued.

"Hate will never overshadow the light of love."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“The course of mankind's progress is not a straight, automatic line, but a tortuous struggle, with long detours or relapses into the stagnant night of the irrational. Mankind moves forward by the grace of those human bridges who are able to grasp and transmit, across years or centuries, the achievements men had reached--and to carry them further. Thomas Aquinas is one illustrious example: he was the bridge between Aristotle and the Renaissance, spanning the infamous detour of the Dark and Middle Ages.”
 Ayn Rand, The Romantic Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truly a tragic happening similar to those that involved vehicles, or weapons being used in Canada against people of different cultures / religions / sex but this is the first time for this (or did I miss earlier vigils by the party leaders) for instance after the Recent Nova Scotia Killings?  I do however hope the perp will face justice as a terrorist.

All of Canada’s major party leaders will be attending a vigil in London, Ont. for a Muslim family police say was intentionally attacked by a driver.

 

Conservative leader Erin O’Toole, Green leader Annamie Paul and Bloc Quebecois will attend the vigil as well, travelling with Trudeau on the federal government’s Challenger jet. Ontario Premier Doug Ford is also planning to attend.

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh and Green leader Annamie Paul have also said they’ll  be at the vigil, though it is not clear whether they are travelling with Trudeau.

Speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, Trudeau called the incident a terrorist attack motivated by Islamophobia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, deicer said:


 Ayn Rand, The Romantic Manifesto

That's funny seeing you quoting Ayn Rand.  Either you don't know who she was and her philosophy or you have had a 180 degree change in your view of the world. Ayn Rand is quite literally as far away from left/liberal as you can get.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, deicer said:

So while it may have been written with one meaning, time changes everything.

Hardly.  It's a condemnation of the socialist left.  It was then and is now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 4:40 AM, deicer said:

The Ford government waffled with the rollout pushing to get it to pharmacies when they already had set up mass clinics that were being run by regional health units and being paid for with federal money.

So while Alberta may have had a different experience, at 4 times the population, Ontario wasted time and money.

And your point is?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The world needs more Governors like Desantis ❤️❤️
 

“ You can’t be cowed by these organizations, or particularly by woke corporations from doing the right thing. And so my view was throughout this whole time, we have to protect our girls, it is discriminatory to force them to compete against biological males,” DeSantis continued during his Fox interview. “And so if the price of having a tournament is that I have to deny equal opportunity to hundreds of thousands of young girl and women athletes throughout Florida, I am much more willing to stand with the girls. And to hell with these events.”

 

https://conservativeandfree.com/2021/06/08/desantis-deals-fatal-blow-to-those-who-stand-against-his-protection-of-girls-sports/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, seeker said:

Hardly.  It's a condemnation of the socialist left.  It was then and is now.

 

We have different points of view.

The pandemic has show us, that the money does indeed flow to those who deal in favours, and the laws definitely don't protect us against them.

Same words, different times, different meanings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Judge Reinstates VA Teacher Suspended For Refusing To Affirm Trans Identity For Kids, Calls School Response ‘Vindictive’

“ The bottom line is that the school district can’t use teachers as a mouthpiece to promote a political agenda that violates their beliefs. But that is exactly what it is trying to do. And when Tanner used his constitutional right to speak up against the policy, officials punished him, propping him up as an example and sending the message that teachers must toe the ideological line or face the consequences.

It must stop.

The debate over the school’s policy is about much more than pronouns. It’s about scientific truth. It’s whether the government can force an individual to endorse an ideology that conflicts with his beliefs.

And Tanner’s case is about something even more important: it’s about whether we have the right to voice dissenting opinions to our elected officials at all. Not everyone will agree with Tanner about what the school’s policy should be. But, in a free society, everyone must have the right to make their case to their elected officials about what the policy should be.”

https://adflegal.org/blog/can-teacher-object-proposed-school-district-policy-not-loudoun-county?sourcecode=10017333_r900

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, deicer said:

We have different points of view.

The pandemic has show us, that the money does indeed flow to those who deal in favours, and the laws definitely don't protect us against them.

Exactly correct.  Such as; SNC - Lavalin, the WE Foundation, the $382 million AMD Medicom sole-source contract for Covid supplies with a Quebec company that didn't even have a factory!  Money does indeed flow to those who deal in favours and the laws do not protect us against them!

You can choose to watch Schindler's List as a comedy but that doesn't make it one.  Ayn Rand's entire life and body of work was a condemnation of the socialist left and to think you can say, "it's just words so it can mean whatever I want them to mean" is kinda silly.  Kraft Dinner is fine dining? My kid's crayon scribble is the Mona Lisa?  Well, no, there is an external reality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, seeker said:

You can choose to watch Schindler's List as a comedy but that doesn't make it one.  Ayn Rand's entire life and body of work was a condemnation of the socialist left and to think you can say, "it's just words so it can mean whatever I want them to mean" is kinda silly.  Kraft Dinner is fine dining? My kid's crayon scribble is the Mona Lisa?  Well, no, there is an external reality.

An excellent effort.

But, as Homer would say, "trying is the first step toward failure."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, seeker said:

 Ayn Rand's entire life and body of work was a condemnation of the socialist left 

 

When one reflects upon her writings, maybe at the time is was a condemnation of the left, but it is more realistic towards the right currently.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...