Reality

Jaydee

On 11/15/2020 at 9:15 AM, st27 said:

Here’s a refreshing POV on the US election, which could also be applied to this side of the border:

Finally had time to watch this video in full. Phenomenal.....A few here were probably curled up in a fetal position after viewing it. 

7 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Finally had time to watch this video in full. Phenomenal

Mind numbing eh? 

In addition to his list of ingredients to avoid, imagine mixing in a measure of "do the work, earn the win" concentrate.  POOF, you have the recipe for a landslide.

I wonder if hypocrisy that borders on comedic, and the complete absence of common sense is ever likely to resonate with enough voters to give these creatures the WH, House and Senate all at the same time.  

On 11/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, Airband said:

What deductions would you see being included in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? Items such as maintenance, repairs  insurance, property taxes and other current expenses cannot be used in the calculation of the Adjusted Cost Base which establishes the base cost from which any capital gain/loss is determined. As mentioned earlier I do believe a phased-in approach over a number of years and/or via taxable thresholds would be necessary to minimize the impact on both individuals and the housing market.

I'm not sure I follow, if you have a non primary residence you can claim any improvements or expenses to maintain the dwelling against the capital gains involved in the sale of the dwelling, no?

My experience is in the US however.

5 hours ago, mo32a said:

I'm not sure I follow, if you have a non primary residence you can claim any improvements or expenses to maintain the dwelling against the capital gains involved in the sale of the dwelling, no?

Yes, improvements that can demonstrate they add additional value would be eligible for increasing the Adjusted Cost Basis but not those that were maintenance related (they may be deductible against rental income but not for capital gains purposes). I have appended a link to some current CRA guidelines with respect to determining the difference (US may have more eligible expenses). While it is quite likely most residential properties held for more than 25+ years have had some sort of substantial renovations that would qualify, the number such events that would have to accounted for over the period of ownership would not be that high. My comment was more directed toward the suggestion (possibly upstream in the discussion) that multiple, recurring payments for property taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc would have to be accounted for when they wouldn't, as such expenses are not eligible. Foregoing is opinion only and assumptions used may stand to be corrected.

France's Macron issues 'Republican values' ultimatum to Muslim leaders

Published
3 hours ago
IMAGE COPYRIGHTEPA
image captionProtesters have condemned President Macron over his comments about Islam

French President Emmanuel Macron has asked Muslim leaders to accept a "charter of Republican values" as part of a broad clampdown on radical Islam.

On Wednesday he gave the French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM) a 15-day ultimatum to accept the charter.

It will state that Islam is a religion and not a political movement, while also prohibiting "foreign interference" in Muslim groups.

It follows three suspected Islamist attacks in little more than a month.

Mr Macron has strongly defended French secularism in the wake of the attacks, which included the beheading of a teacher who showed cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad during a class discussion last month.

Late on Wednesday, the president and his interior minister, Gérald Darmanin, met eight CFCM leaders at the Élysée palace.

"Two principles will be inscribed in black and white [in the charter]: the rejection of political Islam and any foreign interference," one source told the Le Parisien newspaper after the meeting.

The CFCM representatives also agreed to create a National Council of Imams, The body would reportedly issue imams with official accreditation which could be withdrawn if an ethical code is breached.media captionFrench President Emmanuel Macron says France 'will never give in'

President Macron has also announced new measures to tackle what he called "Islamist separatism" in France.

The measures include a wide-ranging bill that seeks to prevent radicalisation. It was unveiled on Wednesday, and includes measures such as restrictions on home-schooling and harsher punishments for those who intimidate public officials on religious grounds.

Each child would be given an identification number under the law that would be used to ensure they are attending school. Parents who break the law could face up to six months in jail as well as large fines.

The bill, which was first seen by the AFP news agency, also makes it an offence to share the personal information of a person in a way that allows them to be located by people who want to harm them.

Samuel Paty, the teacher who was killed outside his school last month, was targeted by an online hate campaign before his death on 16 October.media captionThe French president led a vigil for Samuel Paty in Paris, attended by Mr Paty's family and about 400 guests

"We must save our children from the clutches of the Islamists," Mr Darmanin told the Le Figaro newspaper on Wednesday. The draft law will be discussed by the French cabinet on 9 December.

Earlier this year, President Macron described Islam as a religion "in crisis" and defended the right of magazines to publish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad. Such depictions are widely regarded as taboo in Islam and are considered highly offensive by many Muslims.

Following these comments, the French leader became a figure of hate in several Muslim-majority countries. Protesters have also called for a boycott of French products.

In France, state secularism (laïcité) is central to the country's national identity. Freedom of expression in schools and other public spaces is part of that, and curbing it to protect the feelings of a particular religion is seen as undermining national unity.

France has western Europe's largest Muslim population.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/posthaste-canada-is-leading-the-debt-tsunami-now-sweeping-the-world/ar-BB1bazCA?ocid=msedgdhp

Posthaste: Canada is leading the 'debt tsunami' now sweeping the world

Pamela Heaven  1 hour ago

Posthaste: Canada is leading the 'debt tsunami' now sweeping the world

© Provided by Financial Post Canada, Japan and the U.S. saw the biggest increases in debt-to-GDP ratios ranging from more than 75 percentage points in Canada to 45 percentage points in the U.S. 

Good Morning!

In a world awash with debt, Canada is now a global leader.

A new report by the Institute of International Finance reveals that Canada saw the biggest jump in non-financial sector debt this year, beating Japan, the U.S. and the U.K.

Overall, global debt has soared by over $15 trillion between January and September of this year, hitting a new record of more than $272 trillion.

“With little sign of a slowdown in debt issuance, we estimate that global debt will smash through records to hit $277 trillion by the end of the year,” said the IIF, a global body of 400 banks and financial institutions.

Canada, Japan and the U.S. saw the biggest increases in debt-to-GDP ratios ranging from more than 75 percentage points in Canada to 45 percentage points in the U.S.

© Provided by Financial Post

Understandably amid a pandemic, government debt is the biggest driver, climbing the most in Canada, Japan, the U.S. the U.K. and Spain. But Canada also showed the largest increases in household and non-financial corporate debt.

Interestingly, Ireland was the only country in the study to see its total debt ratio fall.

Debt in developed markets topped 432% of GDP in the third quarter, up by more than 50 percentage points this year. The U.S. accounted for nearly half of the rise, with total debt set to hit $80 trillion in 2020, up from $71 trillion in 2019.

“There is significant uncertainty about how the global economy can deleverage in the future without significant adverse implications for economic activity,” the IIF warns.

© Provided by Financial Post

Nor is the COVID-19 pandemic all to blame.

Though $15 trillion has been added to the debt mountain during the pandemic, the pace at which the world has been piling it on over the past four years is unprecedented, said the IIF. Since 2016 global debt has grown by $52 trillion, far more than the $6 trillion added the four years before that and in other earlier periods.

Emerging market debt, which has topped $76 trillion and is nearing 250% of GDP, is particularly worrying.

Lower borrowing costs have eased the burden, but the IIF warns that declining revenues in emerging market governments have made debt service costs “much more onerous” despite this. By the end of next year, about $7 trillion of emerging market debt will come due, about 15% of it in U.S. dollars.

While austerity was the theme in the 2010s, a reflationary fiscal response in the next decade could continue to feed this debt fest.

“If the global debt pile continues to grow at the average pace of the last 15 years, our back-of-the-envelope estimates suggest that global debt could exceed $360 trillion by 2030 — over $85 trillion higher than current levels.”

image.png

19 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

In a world awash with debt, Canada is now a global leader.

A new report by the Institute of International Finance reveals that Canada saw the biggest jump in non-financial sector debt this year, beating Japan, the U.S. and the U.K.

Every single person out there who voted Liberal should be hanging their heads in shame. Especially  Parents and Grandparents. They have sold their futures to the devil. 🤬🤬🤬

Edited by Jaydee

52 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Every single person out there who voted Liberal should be hanging their heads in shame. Especially  Parents and Grandparents. They have sold their futures to the devil. 🤬🤬🤬

Just curious....cause I don't know the answer.......how  would you have handled the requirement for the Feds to push out money in order to keep families solvent?

What would the Conservatives do"...What would anyone do.?

22 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Just curious....cause I don't know the answer.......how  would you have handled the requirement for the Feds to push out money in order to keep families solvent?

Keep the economy going and let the healthy go to work to support their family’s. Then put a third of the billions spent keeping healthy people home and direct it towards the vulnerable and our medical system. Lives would have been saved, good jobs would have been created and we’d been in a much stronger position moving forward. 

But, of course none of that would’ve helped to usher in Trudeau’s incoming Great Reset which is the real point of this whole exercise . 

Edited by Eddy

51 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Well here would definitely be a starting point. Last article I read over 800,000 cheques were sent to people who didn't require help or were ineligible. Also keep in mind the 100 or so billion he unnecessarily wasted BEFORE the pandemic hit. Trudeau and those that surround him are total lunatics.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/audit-demanded-after-more-than-800000-ineligible-people-get-cerb

Blacklock reports that the Liberal Cabinet spent $2,446,026 in its four-year campaign for a seat on the United Nations Security Council, records show. It was the equivalent of nearly $23,000 for every vote Canada received in its failed bid: “There can be an unhealthy quest to get a Security Council seat at any expense.”

So even greasing the palms with cash did not help Trudeau get a security seat.  Obviously that money could have been spent better elsewhere.  

Edited by Jaydee

55 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Well here would definitely be a starting point. Last article I read over 800,000 cheques were sent to people who didn't require help or were ineligible. Also keep in mind the 100 or so billion he unnecessarily wasted BEFORE the pandemic hit. Trudeau and those that surround him are total lunatics.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/audit-demanded-after-more-than-800000-ineligible-people-get-cerb

Blacklock reports that the Liberal Cabinet spent $2,446,026 in its four-year campaign for a seat on the United Nations Security Council, records show. It was the equivalent of nearly $23,000 for every vote Canada received in its failed bid: “There can be an unhealthy quest to get a Security Council seat at any expense.”

So even greasing the palms with cash did not help Trudeau get a security seat.  Obviously that money could have been spent better elsewhere.  

I understand your points but you have circled the question....what would any party in power do concerning only COVID ?? Lets not talk about the Security council  and money spent because every Fed party that has been in power has done similar things with respect to careless spending.etc . I would like to know, "if you were King" and leading a party what would you have done???? Basically ... just the actions of the party in power to assist Canadians when COVID got a grip.

4 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I understand your points but you have circled the question....what would any party in power do concerning only COVID ?? Lets not talk about the Security council  and money spent because every Fed party that has been in power has done similar things with respect to careless spending.etc . I would like to know, "if you were King" and leading a party what would you have done???? Basically ... just the actions of the party in power to assist Canadians when COVID got a grip.

Considering the fragile position the country was already in because of his spending..... if I was "king for a day" ...off the top of my head, I would have started by calling in every government department in for a meeting. Some would have been eliminated entirely...others would have been put on the back burner and those that made the cut, informed them their budgets would be cut immediately by 20% until we figured out a way through this.

Trudeau didn't even attempt to change his governments out of control spending to finance our response . Instead he just borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and sold the countries future down the drain. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that having access to a student loan with low interest provided at public expense is great perk... I'll call it a gift. Surely if you are smart enough to go to university, you should be smart enough to figure out how to pay it back.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/biden-student-loan-debt-cancel

That aside, I wonder how the loan forgiveness idea will play with folks who got busy and worked two jobs to pay their loans back before the forgiveness thing kicks in. Or, for that matter, those who worked while in school to pay the tuition themselves.

All Liberals like the freebees but they can't stand missing out on them or feeling as if they were cheated. I wonder if this will be more rancorous than Mr Biden suspects when the liberal choir starts singing the "what about me" campfire song.

Edited by Wolfhunter

15 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

And the list goes on and on......

Tens of thousands of federal workers on paid leave at home over COVID while private sector workers lose jobs

We are all in this together. ( Or are we really ? ) 

How many times have you heard that from the beginning of the pandemic?

The idea was that we all needed to do our part, suffer a little for the greater good. Sadly, some have had to suffer more than others.

While private sector workers across many industries lost jobs, saw reduced hours or reduced wages, public sector workers did not. New figures from the federal government show a shockingly high number of workers staying at home and getting paid despite not working.

At the height of the pandemic shutdown in early April, 58,546 federal civil servants were at home on paid leave under what is called a 699, paid leave other. This doesn’t include people on sick leave, personal leave or off the job for any other reason.

“Some public servants experienced challenges in being able to work, whether because they were sick or at risk of getting sick, they didn’t have childcare, or couldn’t access their IT network,” the government says on their website.  

( I take it normal people don't require Day Care ??)

The number of workers on paid leave due to COVID-19 fluctuated up and down over the course of the summer before dropping to 8,483 by Sept. 6, the last day the government has reported on.

It’s a far cry from the experience of many private sector workers during the pandemic. Instead of being sent home with pay because they couldn’t log onto their IT networks, many were simply sent home without a job. According to Statistics Canada, between February and April, 21.8% of private sector workers across Canada lost their jobs compared to just 5.6% of all civil servants — federal, provincial and municipal.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-tens-of-thousands-of-federal-workers-on-paid-leave-at-home-over-covid-while-private-sector-workers-lose-jobs?fbclid=IwAR2ZrUhSjlqOfjT3f1XbzSbZkikTnRQpjZ2SRBv421EolrLtE6_q7P_fNqg

Another program the libs introduced was the ill fated student grant program administered by WE charity.....imo, it might have been over simple,  by why couldn’t the government have just given students “credit” for tuition and a stipend for residence/living expenses ?? rather than embarking on the debacle that became known as the WE scandal.

I don’t buy the argument that only WE could have administered the cash giveaway...to the tune of what was projected to be $945 million!