• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She asked him, 'How much are you selling the eggs for?' The old seller replied, '$.25 an egg, Madam.' She said to him, 'I will take 6 eggs for $1.25 or I will leave.' The old seller replied, 'Co

I don't care if you are lesbian, gay, straight, bi, transgendered or whatever, just keep it to yourself.   Some kid actor who I have never heard of says he/she is transgendered and it makes

Posted Images

Shutting down the illegal operations and taxing the product was the argument. If you didn't believe it, if you didn't think it would go that way, it was because you were too stupid to understand the situation. Remember? These same people have moved on to defunding the police department. It's like being absolutely totally wrong about virtually everything is a hobby. 

In the end, reality wins every time and browsing headlines is a comedy show now:

Cannabis was legalized 20 months ago. But it appears to be business as usual for Vancouver's illegal pot shops

Edited by Wolfhunter

My goodness, she was sentenced to 7 years in 2017 for serial impaired driving but out on parole under a 10 year driving ban at the time of her arrest for impaired driving. The same level of crazy is taking place with weapons offences..... If it wasn't so sad and so dangerous it would be funny. Do we blame Trump for this or was it those pesky duck hunters from PEI again?

Is there any point where enough becomes enough in Toronto?

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/woman-who-killed-cyclist-while-drunk-driving-faces-new-impaired-driving-charges

Edited by Wolfhunter

“ Henry Ford famously once said of his mass-produced Model T automobile: “You can have any colour you like, as long as it’s black.”

I’m sure the same philosophy is at play when I daily read of the latest person forced to resign and issue an abject apology for uttering some dissent from the fashionable thinking of the day.

Modern “progressives” and social justice warriors (SJWs) have a Fordian view of free speech, “You can have any opinion you want, so long as it’s ours.”

There is almost no one less tolerant of opposing views than today’s self-anointed champions of tolerance.

However, there are no brownie points for sticking up for the right to free speech of those you agree with. The true test of your belief in freedom of expression is how vigorously you defend those whose ideas you find offensive – repugnant even.

Social media, and what has become known as “cancel culture,” are like the shaming circles in Maoist China.

During the Cultural Revolution, people gathered ‘round to denounce publicly whatever poor soul had run afoul of the Communist party’s thought police. Evidence was the thinnest possible, when it existed at all.

Anyone accused of non-conformity stood in a circle of co-workers, neighbours or fellow collective farmers and was bombarded with accusations of his bourgeois thinking or lack of loyalty to the Great Helmsman.“

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-social-media-cancel-culture-and-maoist-shaming-circles

9907B12B-3C77-4FBE-A844-E3A91137BE3E.jpeg

D49090D1-A82F-4744-A0A1-C55E1EF9424B.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

https://www.beat.com.au/never-forget-rock-and-roll-was-invented-by-a-queer-black-woman/

Credit where credit is due.

It’s no news to anyone that women have been overlooked in music since its creation, though it is should-be household name Sister Rosetta Tharpe that serves as one of the greatest injustices in this regard.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a name that – despite her recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017 – is still widely unknown considering the invaluable influence she had on the generations of rock’n’roll acts which followed in her wake.

When we think of rock’n’roll in a historical sense, we think of men like Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Johnny Cash and Chuck Berry as getting the ball rolling, and later the likes of all-male bands such as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin cementing the force of the genre which has echoed through the generations since.

However, it was Sister Rosetta Tharpe who inspired the men we associate as revolutionising the music scene and birthing rock’n’roll.

Don Martin: After Trudeau's toughest talk, the Canada-China meltdown goes radioactive

Published Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:53PM EDT

OTTAWA -- He’s rarely, if ever, been this forceful on a foreign file.

Somehow overnight Prime Minister Justin Trudeau decided to give up on China, endure the diplomatic deep freeze and face the inevitable economic backlash by soundly rejecting the Meng-for-Michaels proposal.

Gone were the usual ‘ums’ and ‘uhs’ he mutters while trying to remember talking points.

In the case of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou’s possible extradition to the U.S. and the linked-in imprisonment of Michaels Spavor and Kovrig on bogus spying charges, the prime minister unleashed his position Thursday with no hesitancy in either official language.

If the proposed swap went ahead, Trudeau warned, China would be emboldened to become unscrupulous hostage-takers, seizing foreigners for trade when one of their own gets in trouble overseas.

It was an uncharacteristically firm response for a guy who always seeks kinder, gentler reactions to global tensions involving Canada.

He could’ve simply ducked behind the explanation of this mess crawling along in a court hearing process which could ultimately free Meng in any event.

But he didn’t. And he went further.

Trudeau basically ripped and ridiculed 19 prominent Canadians advocating capitulation, flipping the bird at heavyweights from the Chretien, Martin, Harper and Mulroney governments for a proposal that would put Canadian travellers of the future in danger of being kidnapped.

It’s not clear what motivated so many big names to decide now, 18 months after the standoff began, was the right time to advocate for a hostage swap as a means to improve the China connection.

Their argument that the current justice minister or the prime minster has the power to stop the legal extradition process and simply send Meng packing for home aboard a private Huawei jet wasn’t exactly a revelation.

And they must be aware our more important U.S. relationship would be hurt by simply ditching an extradition request our courts have so far decided is legitimate and should proceed.

But, as of today, Trudeau has wisely decreed this will never happen – and it’s hard to dispute the logic behind his decision.

When China made it clear they’re game for a hostage swap, that put to rest any pretence the charges filed against Spavor and Kovrig were somehow disconnected to the Meng extradition process.

And if it this works once, why would anyone believe it wouldn’t be repeated every time a Chinese national of Communist Party value is apprehended in another country?

Today’s developments will have the Conservative opposition gasping. They’ve advocated for a tough-on-China approach generally and for Trudeau to act against China for detaining the Canadians specifically. Now they’ve got what they demanded. Gulp.

There’s going to be a hefty price to pay for this, of course.

Lumber, lobsters, just about anything heading for export to China is bound to face closer scrutiny, paperwork slowdowns and perhaps outright obstruction to avenge Trudeau’s position. New markets will need to be established to fill the trading void.

This also appears to be the kiss of death to Huawei’s plan to help develop the 5G telecommunications network in Canada, which will make bad things worse.

The Canada-China relationship is clearly in meltdown mode and there’s no stopping the damage from going radioactive now.

Welcome to Canada’s version of the China syndrome.

RELATED IMAGES

• Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks in Ottawa

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is seen during a news conference outside Rideau Cottage in Ottawa, Thursday, June 25, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

A WDYTWGTH story with many more tents to come. So like where did you think the cities homeless problem would move to like?

It will be interesting to see if liberal values can (finally) survive first contact here or if they cave. I say they cave and blame tent makers for the problem. 

" Minneapolis neighborhood that vowed not to call police in wake of Floyd death is already being tested by 300-strong homeless encampment"

Edited by Wolfhunter
15 hours ago, Marshall said:

After Trudeau's toughest talk, the Canada-China meltdown goes radioactive

Finally, after 5 years in power he does something  most Canadians can agree upon. His private Election polling must be looking horrible for him to change so dramatically. Here’s hoping.

5 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

A WDYTWGTH story with many more tents to come. So like where did you think the cities homeless problem would move to like?

It will be interesting to see if liberal values can (finally) survive first contact here or if they cave. I say they cave and blame tent makers for the problem. 

" Minneapolis neighborhood that vowed not to call police in wake of Floyd death is already being tested by 300-strong homeless encampment"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-powderhorn-park-neighborhood-progressive-sworn-off-police-911-george-floyd

Of course homeless encampments are nothing new,  https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/04/21/more-help-for-canadas-homeless-urged-as-encampments-and-tent-cities-grow-during-covid-19-crisis.html

However, for the sake of the silent majority in Minneapolis, let's hope that the vow not to call the police does not result in increased crime including violence. (I bet it will though)

Interesting comment I read on a youtube video regarding the CHAZ phenomena (I paraphrase); "It's funny that the "defund the police" protestors don't seem to realize that it's the police who are keeping them safe.  If there really was no police they would be overrun in hours by vigilante mobs of upstanding taxpayers who are tired of their BS."

I believe this is true.  Think about it - no police, no chance of legal action and 47 pickup trucks full of dudes with the "tools" necessary would clean house.  I'm not saying this is a good idea and certainly not that I support it but the police are keeping the people from fixing the problem of the protestors.

Edited by seeker
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, seeker said:

If there really was no police they would be overrun in hours by vigilante mobs of upstanding taxpayers who are tired of their BS."

This is exactly the follow on event I fear... and it's one most proponents fail to recognize as an issue because they never ask "what can go horribly wrong with my good idea.

Reasonable, law abiding people will arm themselves out of necessity and I'm surprised we aren't seeing more of that in some Toronto neighbourhoods. Physical safety is the first duty of any government and in it's absence, people will seek their own remedy.  How often have we seen policy driven by agenda have the opposite effect of that intended? 

Even politicians in favour of defunding want to feel safe, people will always take matters into their own hands when there are no other options.

And beware the law of unintended consequence, once that attitude catches on, becomes mainstream and part of peoples daily reality, it will take generations to get rid of it. Physical safety is a powerful component of tribalism and the "us against them" concept is on full display in other parts of the world for those who care to look.

Minneapolis council members calling to defund police spend $63G on private security details after receiving death threats

Edited by Wolfhunter

26 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Reasonable, law abiding people will arm themselves out of necessity and I'm surprised we aren't seeing more of that in some Toronto neighbourhoods. Physical safety is the first duty of any government and in it's absence, people will seek their own remedy out of necessity. 

I agree but this is not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the vigilante mobs that would go further than simple self-protection.  The protestors have spent decades honing their brick-throwing and spitting skills against the police who essentially stand motionless or advance slowly behind riot shields.  It would be a rude awakening to face an aggressive force. 

Edited by seeker
42 minutes ago, seeker said:

I agree but this is not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the vigilante mobs that would go further than simple self-protection.

I assume I'm right in thinking that you don't mean far right (anti-ANTIFA) type people though.

When rules suddenly change, as opposed to evolving incrementally, the line between safety (and the rule of law) and civil war can become blurred.... especially in a world where tribalism flourishes. In fact, I would hold it up as one of the dangers of tribalism.

If so, I would certainly agree that the "upstanding citizen" will only tolerate so much lawlessness before they root out the violence in their midst. That's actually happened before in the old west but I think the threshold is much higher than that which I refer to..... that level of interdiction is the logical follow on to arming yourself (out of necessity) because security is a fundamental requirement of civilization (at a pretty basic level) IMO.

I think upstanding folk will arm themselves first out of a necessity born of legitimate fear and expand from there to remove the cause of that fear. It's the police and rule of law that keeps all that at bay and provides the umbrella that allows everyone to coexist peacefully IMO.

Once that umbrella is blown inside out you have two tribes who both see the police, army, government and each other as adversarial. IMO, we are sleep walking that path now. Many of our immigrants can explain the effects of it in detail and we would do well to listen.

I'm always surprised to see the appetite (here) for that which they were forced to flee (there).

We will soon see liberals trying to pull back from the brink and plead for context and reasonableness. That's when we will know that the extent of fire damage will be a function of weather and wind:

Adam Carolla defends Jimmy Kimmel over blackface backlash: 'We've lost our minds'

Edited by Wolfhunter

If you're protesting or flying you are immune, otherwise you aren't. How does the virus know the difference? 

I'm not saying don't do it.... but please, (please please please) stop snowing the Snow Queen. Why am I standing in a line up to get into Bass Pro when the whole bloody store (and the entire parking lot line up) can easily fit in half of the aircraft. Who do you think you're kidding here? Ya'll think grunts with ATPLs can't count?

As the headline above suggests, we really have lost our minds. 

Air Canada, WestJet to drop physical distancing policies as air travel picks up

Edited by Wolfhunter

Now think about this headline.

Maybe we have become so used to things being both true and untrue in the same sentence that the concept of logical absurdity has become lost on us.

Here we have a team with a racist name disciplining a player for being homophobic. Is that somehow different than homophobes discipling racists?

Edmonton Eskimos release player from CFL team for posting homophobic tweet

A hypocrite is in himself both the archer and the mark, in all actions shooting at his own praise or profit. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

For years there's been petitions to name change the Eskimos, may actually happen this year way things are going.  I also petition the name change of the Maple Leafs, it's offensive to trees

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/do-trees-have-feelings-too-one-expert-says-they-do/
sub needed I just searched and saw the title, lots of other sites claiming tree feels

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

If you're protesting or flying you are immune, otherwise you aren't. How does the virus know the difference? 

I'm not saying don't do it.... but please, (please please please) stop snowing the Snow Queen. Why am I standing in a line up to get into Bass Pro when the whole bloody store (and the entire parking lot line up) can easily fit in half of the aircraft. Who do you think you're kidding here? Ya'll think grunts with ATPLs can't count?

As the headline above suggests, we really have lost our minds. 

Air Canada, WestJet to drop physical distancing policies as air travel picks up

Canadians worry about travel as Westjet and Air Canada sell middle seats

BY TAYLOR BRAAT, DEREK CRADDOCK

Posted Jun 29, 2020 8:27 am MDT

Last Updated Jun 29, 2020 at 8:31 am MDT

CALGARY (CityNews) – The middle seat on flights has been left empty for months, so flyers can physically distance as they travel.

Now, Canada’s two biggest airlines are ending that policy and that has travellers feeling very nervous.

Some people on social media have said they’ve now cancelled flights because of the change, some demanding refunds.

Thanks @WestJet , I’ve now cancelled the flight I was supposed to be on to watch one of my best friends marry her high school sweetheart due to the fact your company values $ over public health and safety. I’ll be cutting up the MasterCard I have with you as well. Thx 4 nothing. pic.twitter.com/lv1g1IEZAl

— Kaytee Fisher (@KayteeFisher) June 26, 2020

Just got off the phone with @WestJet after a 3 hour hold. Informed me that no refunds would be forthcoming and no special seating accomodations would be made for INFANTS who CANNOT WEAR MASKS. Disgraceful. I hope @GovCanHealth @transportc have a reasonable explanation for this.

— Alex Willis (@alexjwillis) June 27, 2020

One man said on a recent flight, he was worried even though there was space.

“Like sniffling or sneezing, who knows if they were sick or not.”

The airlines point to health recommendations from the International Air Transport Association.

The trade group called for an end to in-flight physical distancing rules last month, proposing a range of other measures instead.

However, some people believe, it’s nothing short of a growing hunger to restore revenues.

“While everyone else is at risk, they’re just worried about the profits, they wanna fill the whole plane right?” said one traveller.

The new policies also undermine Transport Canada’s guidance to airlines that physical distancing is a key factor in preventing the spread of COVID-19 on flights.

Epidemiologists say airflow in airports and cabins is what’s crucial adding once the virus is on your flight, it has a chance to spread and then there’s always the X-factor of asymptomatic carriers of the virus.

But one infectious disease expert said filling flights isn’t necessarily life or death.

“Through the selection of travellers by a screen for symptomatic illness and the use of appropriate personal protective equipment, we will be reducing risk,” said Michael Parkins with the University of Calgary.

The changes come into effect in July, meaning as of Canada day, passengers will have a closer neighbour in flight.

4 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Now think about this headline.

Maybe we have become so used to things being both true and untrue in the same sentence that the concept of logical absurdity has become lost on us.

Here we have a team with a racist name disciplining a player for being homophobic. Is that somehow different than homophobes discipling racists?

Edmonton Eskimos release player from CFL team for posting homophobic tweet

A hypocrite is in himself both the archer and the mark, in all actions shooting at his own praise or profit. 

I do not agree with his tweet but he did / does have the right to voice his opinion.  It seems that "Free Speech" has flown out of the window in 2020.  What about the various politicians that held similar feelings and expressed them in the past, do we take down their statues, remove their pictures etc ?