• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She asked him, 'How much are you selling the eggs for?' The old seller replied, '$.25 an egg, Madam.' She said to him, 'I will take 6 eggs for $1.25 or I will leave.' The old seller replied, 'Co

Posted Images

10 hours ago, boestar said:

threatened by a guy with a cell phone that says please....?

And she gets to vote too.

I wasn't previously a fan of election reform but I think we need it now. Wasn't that a JT election promise... what became of it?

Instead of allowing these folks to project their lunacy on the rest of the country, maybe we could simply wall off the entire region and contain it there. In the absence of meaningful election reform, I'm beginning to find the notion of separation from the rest of Canada worthy of consideration now. There is nothing they've created for themselves that I want where I live.... a sentiment (and duty) I often reflected on when vacationing in other parts of the world.

Along with 11 tow trucks, officers seized a machine gun, 16 handguns, 12 shotguns, nine rifles, a sawn-off shotgun and three high-capacity drum magazines; thousands of rounds of ammunition; five kilograms of fentanyl, 1.5 kilograms of cocaine, 1.25 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine, 1.5 kilograms of cannabis; and more than $500,000 in cash.

https://nationalpost.com/news/raging-tow-truck-war-in-ontario-leads-to-sweeping-arrests-for-murder-arson-fraud-and-organized-crime?video_autoplay=true

Edited by Wolfhunter
11 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Along with 11 tow trucks, officers seized a machine gun, 16 handguns, 12 shotguns, nine rifles, a sawn-off shotgun and three high-capacity drum magazines; thousands of rounds of ammunition; five kilograms of fentanyl, 1.5 kilograms of cocaine, 1.25 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine, 1.5 kilograms of cannabis; and more than $500,000 in cash.

Well, let's make it interesting.  What predictions for sentence upon (I assume) conviction?  I'll say sentence of 8 years, minus time served waiting for the courts so on the street with day-release in 4 years (3, if they can get access to a healing lodge).

Interesting armend response to the peaceful unarmed protest.  Teargas and all.  Meanwhile in Michigan an AREMD  group of protesters are met with a generally peaceful response.

America is strange.

22 minutes ago, boestar said:

America is strange.

It's spreading.

I wonder if people don't notice, don't care, or like the freebies so much they are willing to put up with it all. Or maybe they get a passive aggressive "hit" from the division and polarization.

In any case, my interest is mostly academic now, since we are past PNR I don't think the reason actually matters. Once a society reaches the point where segments of it have cause to fear an election result, the slide, however quick or slow it will be, has already begun.

Edited by Wolfhunter
On 5/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Wolfhunter said:

And she gets to vote too.

The biggest problem we have.

If there was a test to get a licence to vote none of these people would show up at the polling station

Probably been accused of being pessimistic (or maybe just aware of what’s going on in the country) but I really wonder what will be left of the country I grew up in, 5 years from now.

54 minutes ago, st27 said:

Probably been accused of being pessimistic (or maybe just aware of what’s going on in the country) but I really wonder what will be left of the country I grew up in, 5 years from now.

image.png.b847c2d6bdaf7ee9d28f65446a00868a.png

I think people don't see the danger in maintaining stovepipe narratives. Insisting on simple solutions (like bans) to complex problems only puts you further behind the curve as the underlying situation changes. Over simplification, unintended consequences and dogmatic narratives simply lead to another trip around the mountain.... a favourite tool of drill instructors teaching basic BTW. When recruits see that the mountain is unbeatable, they start working together. It takes a while though and it's fun to watch the transition occur. 

Dogmatic narratives don't work in warfare, and since politics and warfare have much in common, it seems reasonable to assume they don't work in politics either. The notion that restricting travel from virus hotspots is racist serves as an easy example of taking stovepipe thinking too far.

Edited by Wolfhunter

From the WDYTWGTH file. 

There is not a police officer, soldier or anyone else with the slightest understanding of escalation of force models, who needs to see anymore video than what was posted. This guy should have been fired long before this happened, he is uniquely unsuited to the profession.... police and even patrol dogs have more discretion. They can take down a violent offender early in the morning and find a lost toddler before lunch. You can turn them on and off. This guy has no off switch....

To its credit, the military tends to weed these folks pretty quick now, they are dangerous, they get people killed and no one wants to work with them. IMO it comes from a feeling of invincibility.... invariably, the person who feels invincible is the weakest one in the group and a danger to all the others.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7001252/george-floyd-death-police-critics/

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if I have this wrong because I don't see it as a racist event.... it's too easy to label it that way. You have a rogue, sadistic COP with so many infractions on his record that it warranted him being fired long ago. He knew people were watching and didn't care. He new he was being taped and he didn't care. 

Is this more or less racist than that 20 year old black guy beating the old white man in the long term care home? I don't see that as a racist event either and it certainly wasn't projected that way in the media. In both cases though you have a bully doing what bullies do best. To make this about race, in the absence of hard evidence that indicates it is, is to credit bullies and their actions with more relevance than they deserve IMO. In other words, if the COP was black and the person under arrest was white (in this scenario), would we reach the same conclusion... that being the motive is racism. I don't think we would, even if it were actually true in that instance.

It looks to me as if this article takes true facts and suggests inappropriate conclusions. Take the fact that black residents are 20 times more likely to be shot in Toronto. Are the Toronto police crazy racist or are most of the shootings gang related? If they are gang related are most gang members black? And if that's true is the motive behind the police shootings racist when virtually all of the gun crime is gang related?

I don't know the answer but I smell a narrative and that narrative supports identity politics, tribalism and pushes us collectively further from fixing root problems. In this case, maybe the problem isn't racism, maybe it's gangs, maybe it's the drug trade that fuels the gangs... maybe Toronto Cops aren't racist at all. And maybe suggesting that they are sends us off chasing bunny trails and subverts real solutions to the real problem.

The shock and horror part is good though... what you see south of the border is coming here incrementally. Planting the seeds of identity politics and tribalism will only hasten its arrival. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/justin-trudeau-george-floyd-reaction-racism

Edited by Wolfhunter

George Floyd Worked With Officer Charged in His Death

The episode began with a report of a $20 counterfeit bill. It ended in a fatal encounter with the police, which the authorities have described in detail for the first time.

Fri  May 29, 2020 - The New York Times
By Matt Furber, Audra D. S. Burch and Frances Robles

MINNEAPOLIS — One was a veteran of the Minneapolis Police Department who moonlighted as an off-duty security guard. The other provided security at a Salvation Army store, and spent some of his evenings at local clubs, working as a bouncer.

In the year before their fatal encounter, George Floyd, 46, and the officer now charged with his death, Derek Chauvin, 44, worked at the same Minneapolis Latin nightclub, both part of the team responsible for keeping rowdy customers under control.

Their paths crossed for the last time in the waning light of a Memorial Day evening, outside a corner store known as the best place in town to find menthol cigarettes. Within an hour, Mr. Floyd was dead, his last pleas and gasps captured in a horrifically graphic video.

In a move that has since prompted protests in cities across the country, Mr. Chauvin knelt down on Mr. Floyd behind a police vehicle outside the store. For eight minutes and 46 seconds, according to a criminal complaint filed on Friday by the Hennepin County District Attorney, the police officer pressed his knee into Mr. Floyd’s neck in silence, staring toward the ground as his captive gasped repeatedly that he could not breathe.

Bystanders waved their cellphones, cursed and pleaded for help, and still, for two minutes and 53 seconds after Mr. Floyd had stopped protesting and became unresponsive, the officer continued to kneel.

The case has become part of a now-familiar history of police violence in recent years in which African-American men have died in encounters that were shockingly mundane in their origins — Eric Garner, who died after a 2014 arrest in New York for selling cigarettes without tax stamps; Michael Brown, who died in an encounter with police the same year in Ferguson, Mo., after walking in the street instead of using the sidewalk.

Mr. Floyd’s case began with a report of a counterfeit $20 bill that a storekeeper said he tried to pass to buy cigarettes.

“He died for nothing — something about a fake bill — that was nothing,” said Jason Polk, 53, a city bus driver and one of a number of South Minneapolis residents who have expressed outrage over the case.

With Mr. Chauvin in custody and formally charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, prosecutors must now try to understand what happened in the chaotic moments before Mr. Floyd was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center and pronounced dead at 9:25 p.m.

Accounts from witnesses, cellphone and surveillance video and charging documents released on Friday tell much of the story of how the “forgery-in-progress” arrest unfolded.

Mr. Floyd had been a star football and basketball player in high school, moving to Minneapolis about five years ago. When he returned to Houston for his mother’s funeral two years ago, he told a cousin that Minneapolis had come to feel like home. “He was such a happy guy, he loved to be around people, loved to dance and he loved Minneapolis,” said Jovanni Thunstrom, who owned the Conga Latin Bistro where Mr. Floyd worked security on salsa nights. “He walked in every day with a smile on his face.”

It was another club, El Nuevo Rodeo, where both Mr. Floyd and Mr. Chauvin worked. Maya Santamaria, who sold the club in January, said she doubted that the two men interacted.

Mr. Floyd worked the occasional weeknight, she said, while Mr. Chauvin worked security on weekends over the past 17 years. Sometimes during the club’s boisterous “urban nights,” she said, when it draws a primarily African-American clientele, Mr. Chauvin was sometimes overly aggressive with customers, sometimes using pepper spray, she said.

“I did have words with him on various occasions, when I thought he was not reacting appropriately based on the situation at hand,” she said. “It was like, zero strikes and you’re out.”

Mr. Floyd’s younger brother, Rodney Floyd, 36, said he was the center of any room he walked into. “Always smiling, always somebody you could talk to and know that you would not be judged.”

The fatal encounter began just before 8 p.m., when Mr. Floyd entered Cup Foods, a community store run by four brothers, and a store clerk claimed that he had paid for cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill. The police got a call from the store at 8:01 p.m.

“Um, someone comes our store and give us fake bills and we realize it before he left the store, and we ran back outside, they was sitting on their car,” the caller said, according to a transcript released by the authorities.

The store clerk demanded the cigarettes back. “But he doesn’t want to do that, and he’s sitting on his car cause he is awfully drunk and he’s not in control of himself,” the clerk said, according to a transcript of the call to police. “He is not acting right.”

The dispatcher pressed for a description, and the caller described the man as tall, bald, about 6 feet tall.

“Is he white, black, Native, Hispanic, Asian?”

“Something like that,” the caller replied.

“Which one? White, black, Native, Hispanic, Asian?”

“No, he’s a black guy,” the caller said.

Not long after, Angel Stately, a regular customer and former employee, arrived at the store looking for menthol cigarettes. The police were already outside. Ms. Stately said the clerk, a teenager, was feeling bad; he had called the police, he told her, only because it was protocol.

The clerk held up a folded bill and showed it to her. The bill was an obvious fake, she said. “The ink was still running,” she said.

Ms. Stately said she saw an officer approach Mr. Floyd, with his hand at his gun at his hip.

The charging documents say that officers found Mr. Floyd in a parked blue car with two passengers. Soon, additional police units arrived and the officers tried to get Mr. Floyd into a police vehicle. But he struggled.

“Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers, intentionally falling down, saying he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still,” according to the charging document.

Even before he was placed on the ground under Mr. Chauvin’s knee, according to the prosecutors’ account, while standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying repeatedly that he could not breathe.

Mr. Chauvin tried to place him in the police car with Officer J.A. Kueng’s help.

At 8:19, Mr. Chauvin pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car. Mr. Floyd hit the ground, face down, handcuffs still on. Mr. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back while Officer Thomas Lane held his legs.

Mr. Chauvin lodged his left knee in “the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck,” the documents said, and Mr. Floyd continued to protest: “I can’t breathe,” he said repeatedly.

He called for his mother. He said, “Please.”

One of the officers dismissed his pleas.

“You are talking fine,” one officer said, according to the charging documents.

At least one officer was worried: Mr. Lane asked if the officers should roll Mr. Floyd over on his side.

“No, staying put where we got him,” Mr. Chauvin replied.

“I am worried about excited delirium or whatever,” Mr. Lane said.

“That’s why we have him on his stomach,” Mr. Chauvin responded.

At 8:24 p.m., Mr. Floyd stopped moving.

Mr. Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse. “I couldn’t find one,” he said.

At 8:27 p.m., eight minutes and 46 seconds after he had lowered himself onto Mr. Floyd’s neck, Mr. Chauvin finally released his knee.

Good article, thanks.

The fact that they knew each other and had worked together is a key element that speaks to motive and intent here IMO... there simply had to be more to the story than the simplistic "because all white people are racist." Clearly the Asian COP in attendance was a racist too.

And I don't believe for a moment that Toronto police are racist to the point where black people are 20 times more likely to be shot simply because they are black. Why was the gangs and guns element omitted from consideration? I don't understand why there is such reluctance to address real issues and such an appetite for divisive spin. The spin must translate into votes somehow or it wouldn't be used so shamelessly.

Hopefully every police officer on scene is charged and jailed for their passive participation and inaction after intervention was clearly (oh so clearly) warranted. Normally, I would want to see what happened before and after;  this seems pretty clear cut to me. In fact, it is the other police officers failure to intervene that makes the best case for racism IMO... that case is not being made though. Why? I find that factor more compelling and more disturbing than one bad COP doing a bad thing to someone he knew and (probably) already disliked... I say that only based on outcome. 

From a simple soldiers perspective, mitigating factors are totally and utterly absent in an event that lasted nearly 9 minutes without intervention by anyone who had previously sworn an oath to "serve and protect." Set a timer and then watch the second hand for the full duration, it's a long time. Allow yourself one full breath per minute as you watch the clock.... a simple exercise in empathy for the non BJJ folks. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Someone is clearly wrong here. I'm not sure who it is.... there could actually be elements of truth in both sentiments.

Assuming one, the other or both are fully or even partially true though, it means this has morphed from a legitimate protest to right an obvious wrong, to raw violence in support of a political ideology and narrative (the very definition of terrorism BTW).  Even those who rightly agree that the offence is grievous and the solution overdue should take pause to reflect a bit. As a minimum, it's now a riot not a protest.

Timing is everything, and clearly there is never a good time for events like this; I can't help but think this is a particularly fragile period to experiment with the concept of "normalization of deviation" as it applies to political violence. Of some concern is the divisive nature of the accusations... note how Republicans and Democrats each frame and categorize  the perpetrators and by so doing fan the flames for their own gain without consideration for the fragility of the nation itself. It's almost as if they relish the conflict and see it as an opportunity not to be missed. Whoever it is who gets the finger pointing wrong will have to do some explaining in the near future. Democrats can ill afford this.... they better be right.

I would accuse JT of possessing the same tendency by exploiting the tragic circumstances in Nova Scotia. If the facts supported his actions and the government was not suppressing information, at least he could plead some purity of motive. The situation is outrageous on it's own merits and I mention it only to illustrate that we are by no means immune from divisive effects of political opportunism, polarization and division exploited for political gain. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-blames-antifa-riots-minnesota-officials-point-fingers-white-supremacists-dueling-claims

Here is a wise quote, worthy of consideration IMO:

Behold ye among the nations, and look, and wonder marvellously; for I am working a work in your days, which ye will not believe though it be told you.

Edited by Wolfhunter

A passionate gathering to protest anti-black and anti-Indigenous racism, dubbed Justice for Regis, made its way through downtown Toronto on Saturday afternoon.

Thousands of people, some carrying signs that read, “Stop killing us,” and, “Black Lives Matter,” while chanting, “Shame, shame,” and, “Say her name,” gathered after high-profile police-involved deaths of black people in both Canada and the U.S. — the latter prompting several days and nights of protests in American cities.

Wow!!! Our society will be so much better for these actions to focus the the law enforcement actions and improve our relationship with non whites...

On the other hand, haven’t heard of any protests from BLM or Mohawk warriors around the deaths of Dimarjio Jenkins or victims of La Loche, hhhhmmm.....

And as far as Justice for Regis....

Troubled Regis Korchinski-Paquet plunged to her death while trying to vault to a neighbouring balcony at her High Park highrise on Wednesday, sources tell the Toronto Sun.

An independent witness claims the 29-year-old was alone on the balcony before her deadly fall — a statement that contradicts the accusation made in the aftermath by a relative who claimed police officers “threw my cousin off the building.”

The harrowing allegation sparked outrage among family and community members, prompting Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders to call for calm Friday in advance of planned protests while describing social media chatter about the tragic death as “toxic misinformation” and “lies.”

An interesting POV.  

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Yannick Giovanni Marshall

Yannick Giovanni Marshall is an academic and scholar of African Studies.

Black liberal, your time is up

Yes, tell the world that we are fed up. But, Black liberal, know that we are finished with you, too.

•  
  •  

People protest the death of George Floyd in police custody outside of the burning Minneapolis 3rd Police Precinct building on May 28, 2020, in Minneapolis, US [AP/John Minchillo]
People protest the death of George Floyd in police custody outside of the burning Minneapolis 3rd Police Precinct building on May 28, 2020, in Minneapolis, US [AP/John Minchillo]

As you ready yourself to attempt to hijack the work of radicals, to go undercover dressed in our clothes and slip into the crowd pretending that you were always there and that you are us, know that we see you. Even now, as you are preparing your watered-down Black Lives Matter syllabi and your "Hope and the Black Spring in the Time of Corona" book manuscripts, which are by now ready for press, filled as they are with the same dimly lit, unimaginative pablum about "improving race relations", feel-good "anti-racism", and "ways to move forward". We see you. We know why you have come.

You are here to translate an uprising. You are here to show your black skin so that you can claim the mantle of authority on anti-Blackness that white liberals have bestowed upon you. You are here to sit at their pundit tables, before their cameras. Your face beaming across the world as it provides the safest possible interpretation of a revolution in order to police its possibilities and pave over the threat of abolition with as mild and ineffective a reform as possible.

Although uprisings are spearheaded by radicals, we are shut out of the public discussion. Neither the Black radical, nor Black radical thought is given air time. Instead, we are forced to endure being talked about and having the revolution we fought for be defused and repackaged to be palatable to a white liberal audience.

We see you gearing up for your mission. You will not be able to blend into the crowd this time.

No interpretation of a revolution is needed. Its commentators should not be the people who yesterday were only too happy to sit at the table with white nationalists and who took smiling pictures with the "good police".

It cannot be narrated by the same people who - alongside their white liberal colleagues - jump Black radicals, beating us down with tired Martin Luther King Jr quotes in an attempt to discipline our anger and fix the boundaries of our action. Not by the same people who spew King at every opportunity, wielding him as a cudgel against those whom they have trained in the belief that King is king and his word is law.

It is a cult of King sustained, on the one hand, by the power of white liberal media, schools and corporate offices that have bled him of what little anti-colonialism he had in order to parade him for their purposes, and on the other hand, by the effective silencing of his contemporaries and his contemporary critics.

We have had to endure the silencing of people like Kwame Ture, who said, "In order for nonviolence to work, your opponent has to have a conscience. The United States has no conscience." We have endured the silencing of people like Assata Shakur, who said, "Nobody in the world, nobody in history, has ever gotten their freedom by appealing to the moral sense of the people who were oppressing them."

You have not only been complicit in the silencing of the radicals, but by hogging the mic and having the prerogative on how Black struggle is spoken of and its history remembered, you have engineered it. Even as our people are permanently incarcerated or are made refugees and hunted, they die a second death in your willful amnesia.

Black radical critics have proven to be right although you would not know it by how little their names are known and how little room you have given them. Get off the mic and give it to the people. Get off the platform and out of the newsroom. Your time is up.

For far too long, Black liberal, you have been allowed to domesticate Black radicalism. Because our oppressors prefer you to us and at any sign of trouble, rush out to find you to speak on behalf of all Black people, you have eagerly taken the chance to hog all of the mics and silence us. You weaken our revolt with your narration.

We know that even now you are preparing to invade us with your linked arms performing that played out "we shall overcome" nonsense in order to reframe destruction in the colony and of the civil order as a quest for policy changes.

You have come to firehose the fire in our uprising while pretending to be angrier and more rebellious than the rebels. As if it were not just yesterday that you were standing shoulder to shoulder with police and politicians begging for calm and agreeing that this is sad.

We know that by the immensity of your power and the relative strength of your megaphones you will have some successes in the coming fraud. But no matter how well you carve and gut this revolution and lay its skin on your face as your mask, we will still see you.

We know that when we say abolish prisons and police you will intercede on behalf of the state and white power with your deliberate mistranslation saying we asked for "less harsh sentences and more trust between the police and Black community."

When we say we want this thing over with, you will say we want "change".

When we say this white supremacist settler-colony has anti-Blackness in its DNA and is incapable of providing any adequate liberation you say, "America is failing Black people".

We say we want to get out of here. You ask "how do we move forward?" As if we do not hear in your tone the hope that all this "unrest" can be quelled and we can move quietly onto the next killing.

You insist on mistranslating us.

Black liberal, your time is up. You have held the mic for too long. Give the mic to any random protester on the street. Any one of them will have something more insightful and analytically sound to say than you do. When you dress up in clothes with our slogans and go on TV all you do is cry. What are you crying about? I cannot remember the last time I have smiled so much.

You have been smiling too long with our oppressors. There is no reason to cry when the resistance comes out. We would have thought you would be ecstatic, all you who have professed to be interested in change.

You who would speak lovingly of the English peasants of 1381 who, torch in hand, emerged from the ruins of the Black Death to burn the property of the ruling classes in the hope of emancipating themselves. But now, when Black people who are forced to witness themselves publicly hunted and tortured to death on a weekly basis rise up, you attempt to coax them away from their cigarette lighters.

When the Target starts burning down, the Black liberal will fight harder to put it out than its owners. But as Malcolm X said: "You had another Negro out in the field. The house Negro was in the minority. The masses - the field Negroes were the masses. They were in the majority. When the master got sick, they prayed that he'd die. If his house caught on fire, they'd pray for a wind to come along and fan the breeze."

They gave you the platform, but there are more of us than there are of you. The greatest trick you ever pulled off was to make it seem that it was you who represented the majority of Black people and it were those radically against colonial policing who were few and far between. Now you see us in our thousands. Stop crying.

X: "That Uncle Tom wore a handkerchief around his head. This Uncle Tom wears a top hat. He's sharp. He dresses just like you do. He speaks the same phraseology, the same language. He tries to speak it better than you do. He speaks with the same accents, same diction. And when you say, 'your army,' he says, 'our army.' He hasn't got anybody to defend him, but anytime you say 'we' he says 'we.' 'Our president,' 'our government,' 'our Senate,' 'our congressmen,' 'our this and our that.' And he hasn't even got a seat in that 'our' even at the end of the line. So this is the twentieth-century Negro."

Black liberal, as we brace for the second wave of repression from your government, remember that we still see you. When your police, your National Guard, your dogs are sicced on us, when your P W Botha/Bull Connor of a president who agitated for a Sharpeville 1960 against the migrants, prepares to commit atrocities, despite our masked shouts, stones and placards, we still see you. We know why you have come. But you are too late.

For the first time in a long while we have also been seen and know that we are not alone. Before we might have stepped out sheepishly, politely asking to consider more radical solutions, thinking that we were moving, vulnerably, naked and alone, into an open field of attack dogs.

But now that we have stridden bravely forth, without shields, into the centres of white supremacy, we have discovered that we are covered by a multitude of good people. Look at the world. We are not alone. As you jump the bandwagon and attempt to wrestle the reins away from us, know that this is a Black radicals' moment. See us.

Black radicals are here to stay. Come up off that mic and get out before you get "looted". And take those Barack and Michelle posters with you. They never belonged to us.

The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards Malcolm.

Peace after revolution.

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial stance.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Yannick Giovanni Marshall is an academic and scholar of African Studies.

And now a look at some stats.  

What does the data show about race and policing?

By Reality Check teamBBC News
  • ES

Violence has erupted in cities across the US over the death of African-American George Floyd, after he was physically restrained by police in Minneapolis.

We've looked at some of the data around crime and justice in the US, and what it shows about the experience of African-Americans when it comes to law and order.

1. African-Americans are more likely to get fatally shot

The available figures for incidents in which the police shoot and kill people show that for African-Americans, there's a much higher chance of being fatally shot relative to their overall numbers in the US population.

Bar chart showing proportion of police shootings by ethnicity in population

In fact, in 2019, although African-Americans made up less than 14% of the population (according to official census figures), they accounted for more than 23% of the just over 1,000 fatal shootings by the police.

And that figure has been relatively consistent since 2017, whereas the number of white victims has come down since then.

2. African-Americans are arrested at a higher rate for drug abuse

African-Americans are arrested for drug abuse at a much higher rate than white Americans, although surveys show drug use at similar levels.

Drug abuse arrests by race

Hispanics are not counted separately. Others is Asian, American-Indian, Hawaiin or Pacific islanders.
Source: FBI and US Census Bureau data for 2018

In 2018, around 750 out of every 100,000 African-Americans were arrested for drug abuse, compared to around 350 out of every 100,000 white Americans.

Previous national surveys on drug use show that white people use drugs at similar rates, but African-Americans continue to get arrested at a higher rate.

For example, a study by the American Civil Liberties Union found that African-Americans were 3.7 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites, even though their rate of marijuana usage was comparable.

3. More African-Americans are imprisoned

African-Americans are imprisoned at five times the rate of white Americans, and at almost twice the rate of Hispanic-Americans, according to the latest data.

In 2018, African-Americans made up around 13% of the US population, but represented almost a third of the country's prison population.

White Americans made up around 30% of the prison population - despite representing more than 60% of the total US population.

That's more than 1,000 African-American prisoners for every 100,000 African-Americans, compared to around 200 white inmates for every 100,000 white Americans.

Prison population per 100,000 people by race

Source: US Census Bureau, Bureau of Justice Statistics

The US prison population is defined as inmates sentenced to more than a year in a federal or state prison.

Imprisonment rates have dropped for African-Americans over the last decade, but they still make up more of the prison population than any other race.