Sign in to follow this  
lrobb

Dinner/Coffee with a Pilot

Hello,

My wife and I are aviation enthusiasts and my wife has always had a dream of meeting a real pilot (for dinner/coffee) to ask questions about what its like to fly, safety, and general aviation questions.  I know that pilots are very busy and so this is going to be a "long shot" but I was hoping to arrange a meeting with a commercial pilot (air canada, west jet, etc.) for my wife and I.  If anyone is a commercial pilot on this forum or has any connections I'd love to talk.  I would be more than happy to compensate the pilot for his/her time.  Please let me know if you have any connections I'd love to setup a meeting.

Thank you,

Welcome to AEF....

While I understand your request, your enthusiasm,  and quest for  a face to face with one or two of the chosen and sublime individuals who are directional consultants for high speed plastic and aluminum tubes I would like to suggest that you bury yourself in boundless information concerning commercial and otherwise type pilots that is available on the Internet.

"Why ?, you might ask.

No matter who you have a coffee with, you will undoubtedly be discussing the aviation industry with an individual who  has  bias in one way or another.....indeed we all have streaks of bias in our job, that is just human nature. All commercial pilots, for that fact every pilot, has likes and dislikes for certain aircraft as well as certain companies and definite opinions about aircraft accidents and flight safety incidents, (you can see that here in this forum), or just read the comment sections of any incident at http://www.avherald.com/ .

As well, he/she may love the job and dread the thought of retiring and others do like the job but will be happy to be " punted through the goal posts of life" when they have had enough...so one again bias and personal opinion will be reflected in any discussions they have. .

My concern, if such a meeting were set up, is that in some way in some manner I may be quoted as "the source"  for information that perhaps you misunderstood, or I failed to explain in crystal clear detail, and even then you might accidentally misquote  me.

As you can see, many of the authors on this forum do not use their real names, and that is their choice, and perhaps one of their reasons for doing so is that they do not want to be referenced as a knowledgeable source of aviation information........or maybe  because they, like so many others, realize they do  have a directed  bias concerning parts of the  aviation industry and or pilots and their peers..

Anyhow, just my opinion and I wish you luck in your quest for a coffee  with a pilot and I am sure he/she will appreciate you picking up the bill.  If you want a quick perusal of airline pilot life  with a dash of humour I would suggest you start here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxz2hhSXuY

I believe there are 4 parts to this series.

• Like 1

First off, I’ll get an old joke out of the way......

Q    How do you know when you’ve met an airline pilot??

A.   After 3 hours of talking, he’ll say “Enough about me, let’s talk about airplanes.”

You’ve been warned....??

I'd just like to add that I personally thrilled at the prospect of not having to pay someone else's coffee or dinner so they can let me talk about flying....

That aside,  I'd suggest you note what city you are in or close to, that might limit responses to those in your area.  And Kip's advice is good.  If you ask two pilots for their opinion, you'll get 4 or 5 opinions in return.  We are very productive that way ?

Best of luck.

Vs

Yes, gotta post your city/ location.  There's more to it than that however before you'll get any takers.  I'm a pilot and love to talk about all things flying but I am a representative of my company and will always be careful about any specifics lest my comments get repeated on somebody's social media account.  You'd need to convince whoever you find that your intentions are honourable.

If you're looking for answers to general questions there's lots of day-in-the-life type videos on YouTube although I've watched a few and none seem that accurate.  You could post your questions here and would likely get some answers?

I wonder if the TV program that was done on a day at work with an airline pilot is still around somewhere ?

i know there have been a few but the one I am thinking about starred none other than AEF’s own Don Hudson.

Plays  a pretty impressive piece by Chopin on the ivories as parr of it.?

Edited by Innuendo

Here's an idea. Go to a local marina in a southern clime and become a regular habitue. Focus on sailboats. For some unknown reason ( lol), many pilots prefer blowboats. I assure you, you will meet more pilots of every ilk than you ever anticipated.