Swoop in CYHM

Moon The Loon

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9747793-abrupt-landing-at-hamilton-international-airport-leaves-swoop-passenger-feeling-very-unsafe-/?utm_source=facebook&source=the%20hamilton%20spectator&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

Did this happen recently? There are no shortened runway distance NOTAM on the CFPS website.

Makes one wonder...

Was checking CADORS to see if there was anything about this - nothing found but I did find this: 

February 20, 2019

Incident at ABBOTSFORD BC (CYXX)

The Abbotsford police called the Abbotsford, BC (CYXX) tower to request that a Swoop Inc. Boeing 737-800 (WSW106) from Abbotsford, BC (CYXX) to Hamilton, ON (CYHM) return to the apron. The aircraft was on Taxiway Alpha at the time. The aircraft returned to the apron and a police officer boarded. No impact to operations.

I wonder what that was about?

Since when did landing a B737-800 on a 6,000 ft runway become cause to "warn" your passengers? I've landed on similar length runways plenty of times and never once thought it was necessary to tell the folks in the back about it.

5 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

The Story says  

So, as his Swoop airplane — Flight 2010, on Oct. 3, in the late afternoon — was making an approach to land at Hamilton International Airport, an announcement was made informing the estimated 100 passengers that it would be an "abrupt" landing. He said the plane landed, and the pilot "slammed the brakes on, and everyone was thrown forward in their seats.

The B737-800 is a runway pig on landing.  

At 145,000lbs the AB3 landing distance shows 7690 feet, at 125,000lbs (an average landing weight) the distance only reduces to just under 7000 feet so a shortened runway to 6000 feet is definitely an issue in an -800.  To get below 6000 feet you have to used AB MAX or MAX Manual braking, WB MAX shows 5520 and Max Manual shows 4420.

What these pax experienced was likely Max Manual braking which on a dry runway in quite aggressive and certainly wouldn't be a normal experience for a passenger.

PHYSICS.....It takes a difined amount of energy to stop a given amount of weight in a defined distance.  The shorter the distance the more energy required to stop.

This isnt rocket science (close though) 

Has this guy never had to stop short in a car?

On 12/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, J.O. said:

Since when did landing a B737-800 on a 6,000 ft runway become cause to "warn" your passengers? I've landed on similar length runways plenty of times and never once thought it was necessary to tell the folks in the back about it.

I have been on a few flights into SNA where an announcement was made that the braking would be intense.

The problem is that if a Flight Attendant sneezes during the Landing, it gets tweeted out that she was crying and scared and its a miracle then survived.

I guess no one noticed the pilot walk out of the cockpit with his unspilled coffee once they parked at the gate.

The 800 is a runway hog. VREF speeds are quite high, especially at flap 30 where it's inflated for tail clearance. I'd say the 800 is pretty close to the brake energy limits of a single bogey landing gear.

Not looking forward to the MAX10 (if they ever get off the ground).

Archived