When you purchase the cheapest fare

I don’t know who is running the commercial side at WJ/SWOOP but the negative PR that has been highlighted lately is a serious degradation on their otherwise cheery product offerings.

I sincerely hope that Gerry S and ONEX take a good look at the direction that this company is heading. 

The AC/AT combination (and superior product) will be just another nail in the WJ/SWOOP coffin unless there is change in product, policy, and performance.

1 hour ago, CanadaEH said:

Didn't realize a CBC story is an indictment on Westjet's customer service. 

While I won't argue that things have changed, I don't think this is unique to WestJet. 

Standing by for the next story on AC, AT, Flair, Sunning, Swoop, etc. etc.

Quite right, restrictions on cheap fares are the norm and at an great example of  'Caveat Emptor'.  We are not dealing with a WestJet / Swoop problem but rather the belief that when you buy "cheap" you will get all the perks that go with a premium fare.  

I doubt Don Bell would have allowed such nonsense back in the day.  There is always circumstances that must be considered. WS used to empower their people to make the right decision. Now it’s the news media telling tens of thousands, of not more, about WestJet crappy service. 

It's called "insurance" people, in the unlikely event you need it it is there to protect you, no insurance, no protection! When was the last time any of us got insured for nada, zilch, zero cost.

Pays your money, gets your value (insurance)!

:icon_jook:

I book my own travel on the AC and WS websites regularly. Both are very clear about what you do and don’t get with the fare level you’ve selected. I have little sympathy for people who don’t take the time to read what’s in front of them. 

I would consider myself a "well seasoned traveller" but it would never occur to me that I would be on my own on any airline when I misconnected in what appeared to have been a pretty dynamic situation regardless of the fare I'm travelling on. These aren't people who stumbled out of a bar and presented themselves at the gate at the departure time. They were delivered to their new gate by none-other than WestJet itself.

WestJet doesn't merely appear intent on torching their good will in the market, it looks like they're going to piss on the ashes too.

The Tariffs for pretty much all airlines read (coles Notes version)  You pay us and we may or may not get you to where you are going but we keep your money.

Has anyone ever actually read them?

The airline websites plainly state what you do and do not get but you need to read the entire cure for insomnia to get the whole picture.  NO ONE ever reads the fine print.  

What these people ran into was in the fine print NOT on the face of the web page.  The problem now is to prove that the airline was at fault, according to the fine print.

Now there is one thing to remember here.  This happens to all airlines on a regular basis.  Only the ones that speak up are ever heard.  It isnt news its business and execution of a contract you legally entered into.  There are responsibilities on both sides.

Have you ever been sitting in the departure lounge and heard the call. "Mr So and so your plane is leaving this is the last call"?  I hear it all the time and every time I think... Well he checked in, He didn't show. Now there is a fully paid for empty seat that a standby might get.  He loses that money because he failed to meet his part of the contract.  Too Bad So Sad. 

Now the airline MAY accommodate him on a later flight if he was held up in security or something of the sort but they are NOT obligated to.

I don't think any sane airline would consider a pax who missed their connection on a single itinerary after a cancellation, reinstatement and gate change who ultimately arrived at the gate in the airline's very own golf cart to be a "too bad, so sad" situation. Gregg is gone but his stench remains.

7 hours ago, boestar said:

Have you ever been sitting in the departure lounge and heard the call. "Mr So and so your plane is leaving this is the last call"?  I hear it all the time and every time I think... Well he checked in, He didn't show. Now there is a fully paid for empty seat that a standby might get.  He loses that money because he failed to meet his part of the contract.  Too Bad So Sad. 

Wouldn't the no shows checked bag be on the flight? Wouldn't they have to delay the flight to find and unload it?

45 minutes ago, mo32a said:

Wouldn't the no shows checked bag be on the flight? Wouldn't they have to delay the flight to find and unload it?

'As for their luggage being sent on a plane with the owners, WestJet said checked baggage can be transported to the final destination if a guest arrives at the gate past cutoff and there is insufficient time to offload the baggage for an on-time departure.

CBC asked Transport Canada whether that was acceptable. 

In an email, Transport Canada spokesperson Alexandre Desjardins said there are requirements for baggage to be transported aboard aircraft with the passenger, but exceptions are made in certain situations that may result in the checked baggage being transported separately. 

However, she said: "The details of these exceptions cannot be released for security reasons."

Archived