WestJet and Swoop News

Following the Lead of AirCanada curious though re the exclusion of pax ex Saskatchewan 

WestJet to offer guests no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance for air and vacation reservations

westjet-e1587425867506.png?w=1024

Guests can confidently book travel to Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe including the U.K. with coverage for COVID-19 medical and quarantine costs

CALGARY, AB, Sept. 11, 2020 /CNW/ – Today, WestJet is announcing no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for eligible guests booking travel to Mexico, the Caribbean and European destinations including the United Kingdom.

For reservations made on or after September 18, 2020, any WestJet air-only reservation including WestJet Vacations bookings for travel to and from Mexico, the Caribbean (excluding the U.S.), Europe (including U.K.) and inbound to Canada will provide eligible guests no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance through new partner TuGo®. Coverage will be automatically applied at no additional charge to eligible guests at the time of purchase for travel until August 31, 2021 for up to 21 days. One-way travel reservations will also be eligible for coverage for up to seven days.

“We know Canadians are seeking reassurance and our guests can now have confidence knowing they are protected against unforeseen medical costs related to the pandemic when choosing to book with WestJet,” said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet Chief Commercial Officer. “Safety measures have been implemented across our entire travel journey and providing our guests peace of mind during their travels is worth the investment we are making to ensure the safest travel experience for our guests.”

TuGo® Travel Insurance COVID-19 coverage for WestJet guests includes*:   

• Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with COVID-19 while outside of Canada (excluding U.S) for up to a maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
  • Emergency medical and hospital costs for inbound travellers visiting Canada diagnosed with COVID-19 while in Canada up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
  • Quarantine accommodation costs when the traveller tests positive for COVID-19 on the trip up to $150 CAD per insured person, per day to a maximum of 14 days for inbound and outbound reservations.
  • Ambulance transportation and air evacuation costs related to COVID-19, up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
  • COVID-19 repatriation costs in case of death of up to $5,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
  • One-way economy airfare for the return of one travelling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment.

“TuGo is excited to partner with WestJet to offer Canadians an opportunity to travel again,” said Patrick Robinson, TuGo’s CEO. “With our shared focus on the health, wellness and safety of travellers, it’s a natural fit for our two Canadian-owned and operated companies to come together to equip and support Canadians in this ‘next normal’.”

WestJet has built a framework to ensure Canadians can continue to travel safely and responsibly. From the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the airline invested quickly in hygiene and safety measures to mitigate the risk throughout the entire travel journey, investing millions of dollars’ worth of equipment, cleaning and additional measures to protect those who had to fly. The airline continues to invest, test and trial multiple additional safety measures to ensure safety above all.

*Exclusions apply. Not available to residents of Saskatchewan or for travel including cruises. For full coverage details, please visit here.

Share this:

6 hours ago, internet said:

The company failed. They over reacted. Covered themselves and look bad for it.

But they were pass travellers so it’s fine.

The 3 year old was having a meltdown over wearing a mask. The crew was following the regulation, and given the company’s reCent zero tolerance statements, one can hardly blame them. Would you be so inclined to throw mud at the crew and the company if the kid was refusing to wear a seatbelt? Both are required by regulation, whether or not you, I, or the man on the moon like it.

I also don’t get anyone who takes two kids under 4 on a domestic red eye flight. Passes or not, that’s asking for trouble. 

I suspect your actual beef is with mandatory mask rules. May as well get used to it, that isn’t changing any time soon.

Edited by J.O.

6 hours ago, internet said:

Industry people rally around the company; stick it to the pass traveller the thread cries out.  Stop being distracted by that for a minute.

I don't think many cabin disagreements between pax and cabin crew are handled particularly well and I am sure I would find fault with both sides, but when the family made a scene they were way out of line.

11 hours ago, J.O. said:

Don't those privileges expire on the day of your demise?

I do know one of our major airlines will provide travel for the family of a deceased employee for funeral and other affairs-in-order purposes.

But not my brother and sister, even in their mid to late thirties they're still drama queens. I would be looking up from hell shouting for them to sit down and shut-up.

2 hours ago, J.O. said:

I suspect your actual beef is with mandatory mask rules. May as well get used to it, that isn’t changing any time soon.

I won't undertake to speak for him but here is my beef with mask rules.

If masks are so great then lets get the party started, start the engines, full speed ahead. Take a mask picture with your whole family on Splash Mountain, take a mask selfie at Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower and the Colosseum. Show off your mask tan line proudly after your Christmas holiday in Cancun. Let us build a monument on the National Mall to all those who taught themselves to use grandma's old sewing machine so they could make Sponge Bob masks for their kids.

If masks are the answer then lets get things as near back to normal as possible. I'm sick of using Microsoft Teams to talk to people who are in the same building.

Edited by Super 80

This thread ?... Let’s be rational for a moment.  I’m required to wear a mask - except if I’m eating or drinking. Ok. So we establish that I’m not required to have them on at all times.  And since I’m free to eat or drink at anytime during the flight, comparing masks to seatbelts is not relevant to the argument.

So now we have established that a mask is not absolute.  Save the Transport Canada rule argument as it’s not valid.

Many on here are siding with the crew and the airline - fine. I wasn’t there. Nor were you. So he said / she said. I’ve seen video with kids wearing a mask so I will side with the family.

My problem is the bully tactics displayed by WestJet. Yes. Bully tactics. The crew did not act rationally. The crew clearly did not deescalate - call the cops as that always helps deescalating things.  In my opinion they knew these were pass travellers and quickly got aggressive: since pass travellers apparently as shown to me in the comments above must take any nonsense given to them with a smile and rank just below the baggage.  WestJet culture now is clear to me the company doesn’t give a care about pass travellers: see below) 

Then the company went out of its way to tell the press these were pass travellers and then the next day informing the press their “privileges” had been revoked. Two news cycles good job.

The company failed. The crew failed. The pass traveller thing is to distract from the main issue of how poorly WJ handled all this.

That is my issue. 

Homer: remember when I got caught stealing watches from Sears?  Well that’s nothing because you have a gambling problems.  And remember when I let that lunatic in the house because he was dressed as Santa, well you have a gambling problem.

• Like 1

So now you’re asking a front line crew to interpret which regulations apply and which ones don’t? Obviously you’ve never been in management because that kind of thinking can be your worst nightmare.

Airlines pay their people to follow the rules to the greatest possible extent. Deviating from regs should only take place when there are other, more critical implications. An example would be landing below weather limits because you have doubts about the airworthiness of the aircraft. A crying 3 year old refusing to wear a mask is nowhere close to enough to being justification, especially when the aircraft is still on the ground. Neither is keeping a self-serving parent quiet just because he happens to have some media connections.

There’s also nothing good that can come from trying to overrule a crew decision in the heat of the moment once it’s been made. Want your people to stop making decisions? The easiest way possible is to throw them under the bus for doing exactly what they’ve been trained to do.

Edited by J.O.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J.O. said:

So now you’re asking a front line crew to interpret which regulations apply and which ones don’t? Obviously you’ve never been in management because that kind of thinking can be your worst nightmare.

Airlines pay their people to follow the rules to the greatest possible extent. Deviating from regs should only take place when there are other, more critical implications. An example would be landing below weather limits because you have doubts about the airworthiness of the aircraft. A crying 3 year old refusing to wear a mask is nowhere close to enough to being justification, especially when the aircraft is still on the ground. Neither is keeping a self-serving parent quiet just because he happens to have some media connections.

On the other hand..... that same self-serving parent was travelling on a buddy pass and evidently did not understand or comply with the code of behaviour expected from pass travelers. 

4 hours ago, internet said:

The crew clearly did not deescalate - call the cops as that always helps deescalating things.  In my opinion they knew these were pass travellers and quickly got aggressive: since pass travellers apparently as shown to me in the comments above must take any nonsense given to them.....

They for sure would have known the family was on a pass.  That fact very likely led to a zero tolerance approach to the family by the crew. For the families part they probably didn’t understand exactly what was expected of them on a free flight.  That would be the employees fault.

I agree WJ has handled this poorly.  They should have simply disciplined the employee silently and be done with it.  Expecting the press or public to understand is a fools game.  This isn’t the first instance either..  There was a young lady travelling on a pass a few years back not following dress code.  The airline was accused of sexism in the press.

Some of this stuff is frustrating I will admit. I still don’t know what the station attendants in Hawaii think a sandal is.  In our dress code sandals are allowed but beach footwear is not.  Last trip through we had to get new shoes for my wife. My wife’s healed dress sandals were declared beachwear by the attendant.  I have watched someone else have a similar experience in MCO.  It must come down to the definition of a sandal.  There must be a nuanced difference between what a Canadian thinks a sandal is and what it means in warmer climates.

But no I didn’t complain.  Actually I did under my breath.  But we said nothing and just complied because that is what is required.  You first comply.  Sort it out later.  If you don’t comply, even if right, you will be reprimanded for the disturbance.  The attendant will simply be corrected.

like I said.  Sit down, shut up and keep your feet off the furniture.  If someone says jump?  Ask how high. That is the exact line I use when someone is using my passes.

like super80 above.  There are a couple of people I would not give a pass to.

But more importantly..........Does anyone understand what the difference is between a sandal and beach footwear in places like Hawaii and Florida"?????????

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/guidance-material-air-operators

I find it interesting that TC allows for the removal of masks when 2 metre separation can be maintained. They also mention that "Air operators should exercise discretion to allow for eating, drinking, taking oral medications and changing of the mask or face covering, for individuals with special circumstances as warranted (e.g., fussy older child, special needs, etc.)" which should perhaps have taken place here.

"Travellers should generally expect to wear their face coverings for the duration of their journey, but must do so:

• at Canadian airport screening checkpoints;
  • during the boarding process;
  • on-board the aircraft when they cannot physically distance from others or as directed by the airline employees;
  • during the deplaning process (Domestic flights only) from the moment the aircraft doors open and until the person enters the air terminal building, by a passenger loading bridge or otherwise; and
  • when directed to do so by a public health order or Public Health official.

It should be noted that while medical masks are not required by the Interim Order, they should be accepted as proper face coverings within this context as they respect the end goal of preventing the spread of COVID-19 by covering securely the nose and mouth. Face coverings associated with religious garments, should also be accepted providing that they cover the nose and mouth and meet the standards identified in Annex C. A non-medical mask or face covering with an exhalation valve or vent, a non-medical mask or face covering made with mesh or lace fabric, a neck gaiter, a bandana, or a face shield are not acceptable as they don’t protect others from COVID-19 and don’t limit the spread of the virus.

If there is sufficient separation between people (i.e., two metres or six feet), passengers may be allowed to lift their face covering off by the ties/elastics, with clean hands, if possible. Additional guidance on what to do with used face coverings or masks can be found on the Public Health Agency of Canada website (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/how-put-remove-clean-non-medical-masks-face-coverings.html#_How_to_remove). Air operators should exercise discretion to allow for eating, drinking, taking oral medications and changing of the mask or face covering, for individuals with special circumstances as warranted (e.g., fussy older child, special needs, etc.) or in cases where the wearing of a mask could endanger the safety of the person."

While I understand the seriousness  of COVID and justification for wearing a mask....I find this a bit of an overkill....90% of the people I see wearing masks in buildings , as required out here, remove them when leaving and pop them in their pocket or if getting into a car , throw them on the passenger seat..

ScreenShot007.thumb.jpg.b1cc63c2d0e1386e655409052e64f0b1.jpg

19 hours ago, Turbofan said:

They for sure would have known the family was on a pass.  That fact very likely led to a zero tolerance approach to the family by the crew. For the families part they probably didn’t understand exactly what was expected of them on a free flight.  That would be the employees fault.

I agree WJ has handled this poorly.  They should have simply disciplined the employee silently and be done with it.  Expecting the press or public to understand is a fools game.  This isn’t the first instance either..  There was a young lady travelling on a pass a few years back not following dress code.  The airline was accused of sexism in the press.

Some of this stuff is frustrating I will admit. I still don’t know what the station attendants in Hawaii think a sandal is.  In our dress code sandals are allowed but beach footwear is not.  Last trip through we had to get new shoes for my wife. My wife’s healed dress sandals were declared beachwear by the attendant.  I have watched someone else have a similar experience in MCO.  It must come down to the definition of a sandal.  There must be a nuanced difference between what a Canadian thinks a sandal is and what it means in warmer climates.

But no I didn’t complain.  Actually I did under my breath.  But we said nothing and just complied because that is what is required.  You first comply.  Sort it out later.  If you don’t comply, even if right, you will be reprimanded for the disturbance.  The attendant will simply be corrected.

like I said.  Sit down, shut up and keep your feet off the furniture.  If someone says jump?  Ask how high. That is the exact line I use when someone is using my passes.

like super80 above.  There are a couple of people I would not give a pass to.

But more importantly..........Does anyone understand what the difference is between a sandal and beach footwear in places like Hawaii and Florida"?????????

The guy on the plane refused to put a mask on his three year old and then got the plane riled up which is the reason the flight was cancelled. He refused to get off the plane and refused to follow repeated requests - all the while on a pass that was given to him and his family by another employee. Getting the plane all worked up made the situation even worse and hostile. Any suggestion that his three year old wore a mask is false if what I heard from the crew onboard is true. So from my selfish standpoint, f*ck this guy and any negative impacts his actions may have on travel privileges for employees moving forward. 

• Like 1

With respect.....

Then during  all his TV/Press interviews..................he was not telling the truth.....

Would be nice if someone had a cellphone video of the crew/pax interaction..

Found a video with pax comments included...   FWIW  

https://liveandletsfly.com/masking-the-truth-on-westjet/

Edited by Kip Powick
insert video link

30 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

With respect.....

Then during  all his TV/Press interviews..................he was not telling the truth.....

video is from after the police board, I would like to see one covering the start of the incident. Nevertheless, pass passengers are expected to comply with requests from the crew.

52 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

With respect.....

Hi Kip, you're entitled to believe what you read and hear. 

I believe there's a very different (true) story out there and this guy is playing the victim card based on race and religion. I'm not sure what his intent or end game is but whatever it is he can enjoy flying on another airline or driving to his next destination. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CanadaEH said:

Hi Kip, you're entitled to believe what you read and hear. 

I believe there's a very different (true) story out there and this guy is playing the victim card based on race and religion. I'm not sure what his intent or end game is but whatever it is he can enjoy flying on another airline or driving to his next destination. 

Regardless.....it's a PR nightmare! Welcome to Air Canada's world!?

WestJet updates schedule with key sun markets

NEWS PROVIDED BY

WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership 

Sep 14, 2020, 14:17 ET

Airline continues to place safety above all now providing no charge COVID-19 travel insurance

CALGARY, AB, Sept. 14, 2020 /CNW/ - WestJet today released an updated schedule designed to get Canadians to and from key destinations while supporting the economic recovery of Canada through continued domestic flying. Starting October 4, 2020 WestJet will offer operations to and from 48 destinations including 39 in Canada, three in the U.S. and three in Mexico, two in Jamaica and one in the U.K.

"This fall we continue to offer guests stringent safety measures and travel that meets their needs during this extraordinary time," said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet Chief Commercial Officer. "As more people consider flying and as business and economies begin to open up, we are thoughtfully and carefully connecting key markets while ensuring safety throughout the journey."

While the schedule is significantly reduced compared to 2019, several major routes have returned including non-stop service between Calgary and Palm Springs, Phoenix, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas along with the return of non-stop service between Toronto and Kingston and Montego Bay, Jamaica and Cancun. The airline is also reintroducing non-stop Dreamliner service from Toronto to London (Gatwick).

The updated schedule is supported by the layered framework WestJet has built to ensure Canadians can continue to travel safely and responsibly, through the airline's Safety Above All hygiene program. The airline continues to provide flexibility in booking, change and cancellation policies for guests. 

To provide piece of mind for those booking international travel (excluding the U.S.) WestJet also recently announced the availability of no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for eligible guests for reservations made on or after September 18, 2020, for WestJet air-only and WestJet Vacations bookings.

About WestJet 
WestJet and WestJet Encore continue to connect all 38 of the airline's domestic airports, with a reduced frequency, to ensure essential travel, trade and cargo can continue during the COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, WestJet has maintained its status as one of the top-10 on-time airlines in North America as named by Cirium.

For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com

Swoop spreading it's wings?

Determination No. A-2020-160

September 14, 2020

APPLICATION by Swoop Inc. carrying on business as Swoop (applicant) pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, SC 1996, c 10 (CTA).

Case number: 
20-08253

The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate a scheduled international service, large aircraft, in accordance with the Arrangement between the Government of Canada and the Government of Republic of Cuba set out in an agreed minute signed on May 8, 2015 ( Arrangement).

The Agency is satisfied that the applicant meets all the applicable requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency also finds that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Arrangement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency issues the licence.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the licence is subject to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88‑58, and the following conditions:

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service on the route(s) set out in the Arrangement.
  2. The scheduled international service is to be conducted in accordance with the Arrangement and any applicable arrangements agreed to between Canada and Republic of Cuba.

Member(s)

J. Mark MacKeigan

Determination No. A-2020-159

September 14, 2020

APPLICATION by Swoop Inc. carrying on business as Swoop (applicant) pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, SC 1996, c 10 (CTA).

Case number: 
20-08251

The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate a scheduled international service, large aircraft, in accordance with the the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of Dominican Republic on Air Transport, initialed ad referendum on September 5, 2008 ( Agreement).

The Agency is satisfied that the applicant meets all the applicable requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency also finds that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency issues the licence.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the licence is subject to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88‑58, and the following conditions:

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service on the route(s) set out in the Agreement.
  2. The scheduled international service is to be conducted in accordance with the Agreement and any applicable arrangements agreed to between Canada and Dominican Republic.

Member(s)

J. Mark MacKeigan

WestJet offers refunds to passengers with cancelled European flights

BY THE CANADIAN PRESS

Posted Sep 15, 2020 1:49 pm MDT

Last Updated Sep 15, 2020 at 1:50 pm MDT

20200915140952-5f610d722a60846f979d9347jpeg.jpg
A WestJet flight from Calgary arrives at Halifax Stanfield International Airport in Enfield, N.S. on Monday, July 6, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

CALGARY _ WestJet Airlines Ltd. is offering refunds to customers with European flights that it cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

A notification sent by the airline to travel agents states that travellers with flights to or from Europe that were scheduled to depart between March 1 and Oct. 31 of this year can be reimbursed within four weeks.

The policy marks a shift from the airline’s previous stance that offered flight credit or no-fee rebooking rather than reimbursement for trips that were cancelled as airlines halted the majority of their flights amid border shutdowns, quarantines and a collapse in travel demand.

In June, WestJet adopted a similar approach to refunds for cancelled flights to or from the United States or United Kingdom.

WestJet’s policy stands in contrast to that of Air Canada, which has announced refund offers for travellers with flights departing from Europe but not for customers whose trips originated in Canada.
WestJet did not say what prompted the change.

The Calgary-based company said in its note to travel agents that clients with cancelled domestic flights or trips to Mexico or the Caribbean will receive information on refunds “at a later date.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 15, 2020.

Lethbridge family airs WestJet woes after flight cancellation; warns others to be diligent

From Global News – link to story and VIDEO

By Eloise Therien Global News | September 18, 2020

WATCH: Jason Nilsson, along with his wife and three children, were supposed to fly to Barbados with WestJet in October. Three weeks before their scheduled trip, they were told the flight didn’t have enough demand and was cancelled by the airline. As Eloise Therien explains, they aren’t upset with the cancellation, but are frustrated a cash refund was not offered.

Lethbridge resident James Nilsson is speaking out after WestJet could not provide his family with a cash refund or alternate flights from a cancelled trip to Barbados.

The family booked the tickets on Aug. 30 through the WestJet website after doing some digging.

“We ensured that we had cancellation insurance through our credit card, we looked at the flights, we made sure there were multiple airlines flying,” Nilsson explained.

“We looked at the frequency of the flights so that if we’re down there and something changes, we know that we would have a reasonable chance of getting home.”

However, an email on Sept. 13 threw a wrench in their plans.

Nilsson says they were told WestJet had to cancel the flight and the airline could not provide any alternatives.

“They reopened these flights and then they realized there wasn’t enough demand for them.

“It was a demand issue based on their miscalculations on what demands would be like on these flights.”

Because travel is so uncertain and tedious during the COVID-19 crisis, Nilsson understood that circumstances could change.

“Honestly, we have no problem that it was cancelled, that’s just some of the risk that we took with booking travel during this time,” he explained. “The issue is that, know you, it’s not just a cancellation, [we] can’t re-book. We have to come up with money for a family of five to rebook our tickets with another airline.”WESTJET_ZERO_TOLERANCE_ADAM_M_.jpg?w=798&quality=70&strip=allNew mask rules at WestJet could ban non-compliant passengers for a year

Nilsson was told the airline could not provide the type of refund they requested – back to his original method of payment– but rather a travel voucher worth the same amount.

Since flights to Barbados were no longer being offered for their time frame, Nilsson says this money — around $4,000 — is simply being held up.

“WestJet has consistently provided change/cancel options to all guests impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, including the ability to rebook flights with no change fee, to refund the full value of their flight to a WestJet Travel Bank valid for use within 24 months for bookings made directly with WestJet or to retain their full ticket value for 24 months for a future flight for bookings made with travel agents,” a spokesperson from WestJet told Global News in an email.

“As the CTA noted in the April 22 clarification, airline tariffs do not always provide for cash refunds especially in cases beyond our control.

“WestJet believes refunding with travel credits is an appropriate and responsible approach in extraordinary circumstances such as the COVID-19 crisis.”

However, Nilsson believes since no service was provided to them, and the decision was made by the airline as opposed to a government body imposing a travel restriction, a cash refund should be an option.

“From my perspective, it’s a demand thing that was within their control and so there should be no reason why they can’t just refund the money back to our credit card so we can book with who we need to,” said Nilsson.

WESTJET_REFUND_FOLLOW_TOMASIA_.jpg?w=798&quality=70&strip=allVouchers vs. refunds: Transportation experts weigh in on what Canadian airlines should be offering

He admits he was aware a cash refund may not be provided before booking the flights, but was still caught off guard.

“This wasn’t a cancellation that I anticipated,” he admits.“I was thinking more of a cancellation [from] a travel advisory, [or] mechanical breakdown or something like that.”

The family was able to book similar flights through Air Canada, and has filed a complaint with the Canadian Transportation Agency.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Share this:

respectfully, this issue was NOT beyond the airlines control.  They admitted that the demand was less than expected when the flight was made available.  They cannot keep blaming Covid for bad business decisions.  A cash refund should be available.

This article could well be entitled "The Perils of going Private".  

Laid-off WestJet employees have jobs contracted out, call severance a ‘sham’

From CityNews1130 – link to story

BY RENEE BERNARD | Sep 20, 2020

CPT19852941.jpg FILE – A WestJet plane. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld)

SUMMARY

• Laid-off WestJet customer service staff say that the company has contracted out their jobs instead of recalling them
  • An employee representative for the laid-off WestJet workers is calling the severance package offered a slap in the face
  • The Ministry of Labour has initiated an investigation into the matter as a result of multiple complaints: law firm

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Laid-off WestJet customer service staff in Vancouver say that the company has contracted out their jobs instead of recalling them, despite receiving federal assistance funding, and now an employee representative is calling the severance package offered a slap in the face.

WestJet has also asked the federal government for bailout money, according to Allevato Quail and Roy Law, a Vancouver labour and employment law firm representing the affected staff.

After being denied an exemption to the Canada Labour Code requirements by Labour Minister Filomina Tassi, WestJet engaged in a sham joint planning process with the affected employees, only to offer barely more than the minimum required under the federal labour code, Rachel Roy, a partner at AQR Law, says in a release.

“WestJet asked to be excluded from the minimum requirements of the law for mass layoffs.”

The Ministry of Labour has initiated an investigation into the matter as a result of multiple complaints, she adds.

‘Cease and desist’

“We are calling on Minister Tassi to order WestJet to immediately cease and desist.”

Jean-Paul Zambo, who used to work in the company’s guest services department at Vancouver International Airport, tells NEWS 1130 the workers have been given until Tuesday to accept the severance package.

“When COVID hit we were asked to take a voluntary leave of absences, we were asked to retire if we wanted to — early retirement — they came up with packages,” he explains.

“We all did it to try and help the company, to save the company. A month or two later, we found out that they decided to outsource all our jobs and terminate us,” Zambo says.

“We received emails.”

He says everyone will be laid off as of Oct. 20.

“Our situation currently is over 3,300 and that doesn’t include the corporate layoffs on top of that.”

‘Negotiation process was a sham’

Zambo adds because guest services employees — who help people who need assistance getting on and off planes, and from one gate to another — are not part of a union, WestJet appointed a representative to negotiate severance amounts. He calls the process a sham.

“WestJet negotiated with themselves to give us our severance.”

He says others laid off feel they would have been able to negotiate a better settlement had they been properly consulted.

“These are the people that built the company, they gave their blood sweat and tears, they did everything for the company to thrive and make it Canada’s darling airline,” he insists. “To be treated in such a way is not right.”

Zambo points out the workers want an extension on severance negotiations. “They never gave us a chance to make it work.”

MARSHALL.....

CONEHEAD is merely quoting a passage from the article. You posted the entire article so when he quoted that section, you as the author of the entire  post, were personally quoted as... "MARSHALL SAID". 

CONEHEAD....Just a hint.........The only way around confusion is to highlight a section you want in your post ,then (copy/paste),  put it in your post and change the color or italicize etc....THEN start your comment?

Edited by Kip Powick
speling