AirCanada News / Jazz News / Rouge News

Tried doing a canadian AC profile.

1/2 way through it got cancelled  twice...says I am inellgible because I am under 18 years old

For some reason it is showing my birth year as 2042...... yet my passport has the correct date in all the data lines

I guess I will have to tel call AC .......more hours on hold 😊

ADDENDUM.....Tried AC at 4 different numbers.. (took a little over 3 hours)  ..no one really knew what I was talking about although one individual did say they "heard" the new technology was on its way in.

CANADIAN AIRLINE AND INDUSTRY NEWS

Air Canada and United Airlines to Offer More than 260 Daily Transborder Flights and Two New Routes this Summer

air_canada_logo.jpg?w=1024

United and Air Canada to increase summer capacity by more than 20% with new non-stop flights between Washington-Dulles and Vancouver and Calgary

MONTREAL and CHICAGO, Feb. 23, 2023 /CNW/ – Air Canada and United Airlines announced today that, through their enhanced transborder joint business agreement, they will offer industry leading capacity and new routes between Canada and the U.S. for summer 2023 – including a new United-operated flight between Washington-Dulles and Calgary and a new Air Canada-operated flight between Washington-Dulles and Vancouver. The carriers have collaboratively optimized their schedules, subject to applicable government and regulatory conditions, and added more flights to provide customers greater connectivity and more flexible flight times, with over 80 transborder codeshare routes and more than 260 daily flights.

Washington, DC. (CNW Group/Air Canada)

“Through our longstanding partnership with United Airlines, Air Canada has been able to offer customers ever-increasing and significant benefits. This summer, customers will have even greater choice and convenience with our joint summer schedule made possible by our airlines’ new enhanced transborder agreement. Together we will offer more than 260 daily departures to the U.S, and new non-stop flights from Vancouver and Calgary to Washington-Dulles,” said Mark Galardo, Senior Vice President Network Planning and Revenue Management at Air Canada. “Our coordinated schedules will provide business travelers with the convenience of hourly service and the additional comfort of a business cabin on all flights between Toronto and New York and Chicago, as well as Vancouver and San Francisco.”

“We’re proud of our continued work with Air Canada to provide customers with even greater transborder connectivity, including adding more flights and new direct service to Calgary and Vancouver from Washington Dulles,” said Patrick Quayle, Senior Vice President of Global Network Planning and Alliances at United Airlines. “With schedules designed to give customers more flexibility with timing and more convenient connection options, as well as the ability to enjoy the benefits of both airlines’ loyalty programs, our agreement with Air Canada makes United the premier U.S. airline for travel to Canada.”

New Non-stop Flights Between Vancouver, Calgary and Washington

New, non-stop service between Vancouver and Washington-Dulles will begin June 1 and will be operated with an Air Canada Boeing 737 Max 8. United will also introduce a new, non-stop flight between Calgary and Washington-Dulles on June 2 on an Airbus 319. Air Canada and United will codeshare on these flights, allowing Aeroplan or MileagePlus® members to accumulate and redeem miles. Eligible customers and loyalty plan members will also be able to enjoy benefits including priority check-in, lounge access, priority boarding and other benefits where available.

Flight Departs Arrives Frequency
AC 1036 Vancouver 8:15 Washington 16:16 Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun
AC 1037 Washington 17:10 Vancouver 20:01 Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun
UA 2221 Calgary 13:30 Washington 19:54 Daily
UA 1125 Washington 9:00 Calgary 11:59 Daily

Transborder Schedule

The two carriers will operate more than 260 daily transborder departures in summer 2023, about a 20 percent increase in schedule capacity compared to summer 2022. The schedule will include up to 120 daily departures between the airlines’ hub markets, an increase from 101 in summer 2021. Flights will be timed to offer optimized connections at both Air Canada and United’s hubs and line stations.

Shuttle-Style Schedule

The coordinated schedule will enable both carriers to offer shuttle-style hourly service throughout the day between key Air Canada and United hubs. The airlines will offer 29 daily flights with complementary timings between Toronto and New York/Newark and Chicago, and 11 daily flights between Vancouver and San Francisco.

Route Frequency First Departure Last Departure
Toronto-Chicago 13- times Daily 06:30 21:15
Chicago-Toronto 07:10 21:15
Toronto-New York/Newark 16-times Daily 06:15 21:00
New York/Newark-Toronto 06:00 20:15
Vancouver-San Francisco 11-times Daily 07:00 21:00
San Francisco-Vancouver 06:45 21:00

Enhanced Western Canada Network to the U.S.

The airlines’ summer schedule also provides increased transborder service between the U.S. and Western Canada. There will be nine daily flights between Vancouver and New York/Newark, Houston and Chicago, and seven flights daily between Los Angeles and Vancouver. A second daily flight will be added between Calgary and both Chicago and Houston, and a second daily flight will also be added from Edmonton to Denver.

Customer Experience

Air Canada and United will offer business class seats on every flight between their respective hubs. All eligible customers will be able to enjoy Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges and United’s lounges, as well as the benefits of the carriers’ Aeroplan and MileagePlus® loyalty programs. Additionally, customers will have a wider range of flight options with more than 80 transborder codeshare routes. Overall, customers will be able to connect to over 100 codeshare destinations in the U.S. and 25 of the most popular cities in Canada.

Building on a Long-Standing Partnership

In July 2022, Air Canada and United announced a joint business agreement for the Canada-U.S. transborder market, building on their long-standing partnership that will give more flight options and better flight schedules to customers traveling between the two countries (coordination subject to regulatory conditions). Air Canada and United are also founding members of Star Alliance and a transatlantic joint business agreement with the Lufthansa Group.

In 2019, the U.S.-Canada transborder market was the second largest international passenger air transportation market in the world and the largest international market for both Canada and the U.S., as measured by seats.

About Air Canada

23 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

So the US has all the biometrics of CDN passports as well ??.................if not ....

...........................do you fill out the paper work with a selfie etc before a CDN boards a ship??

The boat took a picture of us before boarding for our sea pass.

AC Biometrics Passport

My oldest boy is an IT guru and came up with the only feasible answer....

The AC App does not legistate for real old people  😂😂

It is a programing error by AC..He sent me to a couple of ID readers at the iPhone App store and one read all the data as per my Passport and one did not  give a birthdate.

The chip in my Passport is accurate but the OCR reader in the  AC App can not accept birth dates pass a specific  OLD year 😂 ......sorta like when you join a function and they have that spinning " YEAR "  wheel so you don't have to write it in...just stop the wheel at your birth year and the wheel only goes back so far cause the programmer has never heard of any one still alive in your birth year 😂😂😂

I guess I will just use my Passport until the AC App update 01 comes out 🤣

23 minutes ago, W5 said:

Actually the MCP app (Mobile Passport Control) from US CBP does the same thing. It will not accept the birthdate.

The MCP app would not scan anything in my Passport, had to enter everything manually. In the SUPPORT section of the App I sent an email and asked "Why?" 

I was wondering if it was because my Passport is valid for 10 years and I only  have 4 years left ..

On 2/23/2023 at 5:19 PM, W5 said:

Actually the MCP app (Mobile Passport Control) from US CBP does the same thing. It will not accept the birthdate.

I sent an email to the SUPPORT people of the MCP App and got a speedy reply.

You may be experiencing poor network connectivity when trying to scan your information.  Please go ahead and manually enter in your travel details in order to proceed with your traveler processing.

I thanked him for the replyand advised him that I would try a reload when I return from my trip and I will do the reload at YYZ and let him know what happens.

Air Canada pilots decry 'embarrassing' pay gap with U.S. after Delta deal

AA18bw53.img?w=768&h=512&m=6

Fri 03 Mar, 2023 - Reuters
By Allison Lampert 

MONTREAL (Reuters) -Air Canada pilots are pressing for higher pay in the run-up to fresh contract talks, following recent gains secured by pilots at U.S. carrier Delta Air Lines, union representatives told Reuters.

A contract between Delta and its pilots that came into effect on Thursday delivers a 34% pay increase over four years, driving pressure on other U.S. carriers to reach similar deals.

It is also galvanizing pilots at Canada's largest carrier. Delta's latest hourly pay rates are up to 45% higher than current Air Canada hourly pay rates, the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) said by email.

Air Canada pilots have received a 2% wage increase per year, since 2014, said ACPA, which represents about 4,500 pilots. They could potentially begin salary talks as early as this year, or in 2024, the union said.

"Pilots in the U.S. have recently secured significant wage increases and other contractual improvements, creating an embarrassing gap with Canada," Charlene Hudy, a top ACPA union leader, said in a statement.

ACPA is in talks to possibly join the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), the world's largest pilots' union, representing more than 60,000 pilots.

ALPA Canada President Tim Perry said many U.S. carriers recognize the importance of crew to their business model "by providing improved wages and working conditions for their pilots, in most cases far surpassing those of their Canadian counterparts."

Pilots north of the border are now trying to make gains. Canada's Sunwing Airlines pilots secured a 23% wage hike early this year and another 2.5% raise next January as part of their existing four-year agreement, union Unifor said.

Some airline executives are concerned that hefty pilot pay raises will inflate fixed costs and make it tougher to repair debt-laden balance sheets. Delta has forecast a hit on its earnings in the first quarter as the pilot deal is estimated to drive up operating costs.

Air Canada, which expects to return to 2019 levels of capacity next year, is also facing cost pressures.

Salary is also a priority for pilots in negotiations at Canada's second-largest carrier, WestJet.

U.S. carriers American Airlines Group and United Airlines are also negotiating with their pilots.

• 4 weeks later...

Jazz Aviation welcomes Cygnet Aviation Academy to its pilot pathway program

Tue Mar 28th, 2023 - CNW

HALIFAX, NS, – Chorus Aviation Inc. subsidiary, Jazz Aviation LP (‘Jazz’), is pleased to celebrate the launch of Chorus’s Cygnet Aviation Academy (‘Cygnet’) and welcomes Cygnet as the 13th educational institution participating in its Jazz Aviation Pathways Program.

"We’re pleased to congratulate Cygnet and to be working with another Chorus company to provide opportunities for aspiring pilots," said Steve Linthwaite, Vice President, Flight Operations, Jazz. "By supporting the next generation of pilots, we are not only shaping the future of our business, but also contributing to the growth and sustainability of the aviation industry as a whole."

Jazz and Cygnet are collaborating to deliver Jazz Approach – a unique pilot training opportunity that offers an accelerated career path for aspiring professional pilots. After an extensive selection process, qualifying applicants receive a conditional letter of employment from Jazz contingent on their successful completion of the program. The program takes an all-in-one practical approach, whereby cadets will earn an Integrated Airline Transport Pilot License from Cygnet, with extensive use of flight simulators, and acquire a CRJ200 type rating, all within 20 months. This represents the fastest path to an airline First Officer position in Canada. Once hired, all candidates are required to successfully complete the same ground school, Transport Canada Pilot Proficiency Check, and safety requirements as all other Jazz First Officers. The first cohort of Jazz Approach cadets is now underway.

"Jazz provides a large number of skilled and competent pilots to Air Canada each year and we’re pleased with the continued innovation shown by our Air Canada Express partner through programs such as the Jazz Approach and Jazz Aviation Pathways Program," said Murray Strom, Senior Vice President, Flight Operations and Maintenance, Air Canada.

Since 2007, Jazz has been actively involved in shaping the curriculum and training of Canada’s future professional pilots through active engagement with aviation colleges, flight schools, and universities. To-date, the Jazz Aviation Pathways Program has announced agreements with 20 participating industry organizations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Determination No. A-2023-89

April 25, 2023

Application by Air Canada also carrying on business as Air Canada rouge and as Air Canada Cargo (Air Canada), on behalf of itself and Omni Air International, LLC (Omni), pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, SC 1996, c 10 (CTA), and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58 (ATR).

Case number: 
23-20688

Air Canada, on behalf of itself and Omni, has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an approval to permit Air Canada to provide its scheduled international service between Canada and the United Kingdom using one aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni, beginning on June 17, 2023 to July 14, 2023.

Air Canada is licensed to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland concerning Air Services initialed on November 30, 2018 (Agreement).

The Agency has considered the application and the material in support and is satisfied that it meets the requirementsof section 8.2 of the ATR.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)(b) of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by Air Canada of one aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni, and the provision by Omni of such aircraft and flight crew to Air Canada, to permit Air Canada to provide its scheduled international service on licensed routes between Canada and United Kingdom using one aircraft and flight crew provided by Omni, beginning on June 17, 2023 to July 14, 2023.

This approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. Air Canada shall continue to hold the valid licence authority
2. Commercial control of the flights shall be maintained by Air Canada. Omni shall maintain operational control of the flights and shall receive payment based on the rental of aircraft and crew and not on the basis of the volume of traffic carried or other revenue-sharing formula.
3. Air Canada and Omni shall continue to comply with the insurance requirements set out in subsections 8.2(4), 8.2(5) and 8.2(6) of the ATR.
4. Air Canada shall continue to comply with the public disclosure requirements set out in section 8.5 of the ATR.
5. Air Canada and Omni shall advise the Agency in advance of any changes to the information provided in support of the application.

Member(s)

Heather Smith

19 hours ago, Kargokings said:

Determination No. A-2023-89

April 25, 2023

How did you get that?  I look at the CTA site and they're only posting up to April 17th

👍 

Thanks to the numerous Air Canada employee volunteers, support of the Air Canada Foundation and the work by the Dreams Take Flight organization, eight flights operate annually, providing over 1000 children each year with an unforgettable day at a theme park in Florida or California.

Special Air Canada and Dreams Take Flight Departs Halifax with Kids from across Maritimes Français

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Air Canada 

Apr 26, 2023, 09:01 ET

• First Dreams Take Flight trip departing Halifax since 2019
  • Second flight of 2023 taking off from across Canada
  • Every year, Air Canada and Dreams Take Flight take children facing different challenges on the trip-of-a-lifetime.

MONTREAL, April 26, 2023 /CNW/ - This morning, the first Air Canada and Dreams Take Flight from Atlantic Canada since 2019 took off from Halifax International Airport with 144 children to Orlando to experience the trip-of-a-lifetime. Thanks to the numerous Air Canada employee volunteers, support of the Air Canada Foundation and the work by the Dreams Take Flight organization, eight flights operate annually, providing over 1000 children each year with an unforgettable day at a theme park in Florida or California.

Special Air Canada flight with Dreams Take Flight departs Halifax with kids from across Maritimes for trip-of-a-lifetime. (CNW Group/Air Canada)
Special Air Canada flight with Dreams Take Flight departs Halifax with kids from across Maritimes for trip-of-a-lifetime. (CNW Group/Air Canada)

The flight from Halifax left in the early hours of the morning and transported 144 kids to Orlando, accompanied by a crew of current and retired Air Canada employee volunteers focused on creating the most magical experience possible. By generously donating their time, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance engineers, and numerous other employees on the ground and behind the scenes offer children facing mental, physical, or social adversity the chance to take a break from their everyday to make memories and see new possibilities.

"Dreams Take Flight Halifax takes children from all of the Atlantic provinces, which is something that makes our chapter very unique", said Allison Sinnott, President of Dreams Take Flight Halifax. "It's difficult to describe what this trip means for them and what it's like to witness their joy as they make unforgettable memories with new friends. None of this would be possible without our national and local sponsors, so we cannot thank them enough."

"Partnering with Dreams Take Flight has been a wonderful way for Air Canada, our employees, and the Air Canada Foundation to come together and make the dreams of children facing adversity come true," said Valerie Durand, Spokesperson for the Air Canada Foundation. "A heartfelt thank you to all the volunteers and supporters who worked so hard to bring together this group of deserving children from across the Atlantic provinces to make magical memories that will last a lifetime."

Six more flights from across Canada will depart from Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Ottawa throughout 2023.

Dreams Take Flight is a non-profit primarily made up of current and retired Air Canada employees who volunteer to make these flights a reality. Over the past 30 years, Air Canada, as exclusive carrier and now through the Air Canada Foundation, has flown more than forty thousand children on Dreams Take Flight trips.

Visit dreamstakeflight.ca to donate or volunteer.

About Dreams Take Flight

Dreams Take Flight is a national non-profit organization dedicated to providing the trip of a lifetime to children who may be physically, mentally or socially challenged. With the aid of Air Canada, the Air Canada Foundation and other national and local organizations and businesses, money is raised to fund the program in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax. Funds not required for its primary purpose can be gifted by Dreams Take Flight to other registered charities that benefit physically, mentally or socially challenged children and are within the policies adopted by Dreams Take Flight Canada. The first Dreams Take Flight station was founded in Toronto in 1989. Since then, the organization has taken over 40,000 special children to Florida and California.

About the Air Canada Foundation

The Air Canada Foundation, a not-for-profit organization focused on the health and well-being of children and youth, was launched in 2012. It offers both financial and in-kind support to Canadian-registered charities. Core programs include the Hospital Transportation Program, which redistributes Aeroplan points to 15 pediatric hospitals across Canada, enabling sick children to access the medical care they need away from home. The Air Canada Foundation, in collaboration with the airline, also engages directly in fundraising activities, such as the Every Bit Counts program, which encourages customers to donate loose change of all denominations on board flights or through collection containers available in Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges. The Foundation also offers continued support to major health-related causes that benefit Canadians and is an active participant in international humanitarian relief activity as the need arises. For more information about the Air Canada Foundation, please read the 2020-21 impact report or the Air Canada's 2021 Corporate Sustainability report available at www.aircanada.com/citizensoftheworld.

About Air Canada

Air Canada is Canada's largest airline, the country's flag carrier and a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network. Air Canada provides scheduled service directly to more than 180 airports in Canada, the United States and Internationally on six continents. It holds a Four-Star ranking from Skytrax. Air Canada's Aeroplan program is Canada's premier travel loyalty program, where members can earn or redeem points on the world's largest airline partner network of 45 airlines, plus through an extensive range of merchandise, hotel and car rental rewards. Its freight division, Air Canada Cargo, provides air freight lift and connectivity to hundreds of destinations across six continents using Air Canada's passenger and freighter aircraft.  Air Canada has committed to a net zero emissions goal from all global operations by 2050. Air Canada shares are publicly traded on the TSX in Canada and the OCTQX in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Air Canada Partners With PAL Airlines To Boost Regional Connectivity

A new partner to fly under the Air Canada Express brand

Tue May 30, 2023 - Simple Flying
By Luke Bodell

shutterstock_1869933220.jpg?q=50&fit=con

Air Canada has reached a bridging agreement with regional carrier PAL Airlines to bolster its capacity on routes in eastern Canada. PAL will operate regional flights for up to five years under Air Canada Express.

Air Canada and PAL capacity agreement
Air Canada has confirmed an agreement with PAL Airlines that will see the latter add capacity to AC's regional network. Earlier on Tuesday, PAL said it had signed a letter of intent with Air Canada to purchase up to six De Havilland Dash 8-400s, which it will then fly under Air Canada Express for up to five years on routes in eastern Canada.

Calvin Ash, President of PAL Airlines, commented:
"PAL Airlines has steadily built its extensive presence in Eastern and Atlantic Canada by pursuing the strategic growth of sustainable, essential services that provide connectivity to national carrier networks. This proposed arrangement with Air Canada is a complimentary extension of that strategy. It would support continued growth in our operation, deepen our ability to build regional connectivity, and fortify PAL Airlines’ presence in the communities who have always supported our development."

PAL will operate these routes on top of its existing network in eastern Canada. Air Canada says the agreement will allow it to increase flights during an industry-wide pilot shortage. PAL joined Air Canada's Aeroplan loyalty scheme earlier this year, enabling Aeroplan members to earn and redeem points with the regional carrier.

About PAL Airlines
PAL Airlines is headquartered at St John's International Airport (YYT) in Newfoundland and operates scheduled and charter flights to around 30 airports in eastern and Atlantic Canada.
According to Planespotters.net, the airline operates with a fleet of 14 Dash 8 turboprops, which will increase to 20 once it acquires the six aforementioned aircraft.

Jazz Aviation partnership unaffected
Air Canada said the agreement would not interfere with its partnership with Jazz Aviation, another Canadian regional airline and currently the sole operator of Air Canada Express flights.

Michael Rousseau, President and Chief Executive Officer of Air Canada, said:
"Jazz is our long-term Air Canada Express partner, and we are working together to increase flying activity within the framework of our existing CPA given the current, industry-wide pilot situation. As these efforts continue, and to help meet the needs and expectations of the traveling public, Air Canada has entered into a bridging arrangement with another airline to provide additional regional capacity on select routes in eastern Canada."

Colin Copp, CEO of Jazz Aviation's owner Chorus Aviation, said that Air Canada's agreement with PAL Airlines would not impact the company financially, adding that it "understands that Air Canada is increasing capacity to meet travel demand and that the addition of these aircraft is a bridging solution."

4 hours ago, moeman said:

Funny, it says 2022 in the actual rankings yet it was posted today.

Semantics in a poorly written article

We have "all the data"🤣 for 2022 so we will show you the ranking  in 2023.....How can you rank anything in 2023 when the year is not quite half done..?..😂

• Like 1

Air Canada warning passengers of flight delays, cancellations after system-wide issues communicating with aircraft

Last Thursday, the airline experienced technical problems that forced the grounding of nearly half its flights

rm_aircanada_008.jpg

Thu June 1, 2023 - The Toronto Star
By Marissa Birnie - Staff Reporter

“Air Canada has obligations to passengers who are impacted because this is caused by things that the airline has control over,” Alghabra said.

For the second time in a week, Air Canada is experiencing yet another system-wide technical issue causing flight delays and cancellations across the country on Thursday.

The technical issue is with the system the airline uses to communicate with aircraft — the same system impacted by an outage one week ago — but was “unrelated” to last week, Air Canada told the Star.

“The communicator system has begun to stabilize, and aircraft continue to move although still at a lower than normal rate,” Air Canada media relations said in an emailed statement.

“As a result, customers may experience delays and in some instances cancellations as we move through recovery,” the airline said.

The airline said it was in the process of upgrading the communicator system using technology from a third party.

“Air Canada will continue to work with the manufacturer to ensure stability in the system in the future,” the airline’s statement continued.

It said it expects that impacts from the technical issue, including delays, will last throughout the day.

Speaking at a media scrum on Thursday, Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said his office and Transport Canada officials were in touch with Air Canada and that the airline said it will compensate passengers impacted by the technical issue.

“Air Canada has obligations to passengers who are impacted because this is caused by things that the airline has control over,” Alghabra said.

“Air Canada assured me that they will compensate passengers, including providing hotels to those who need hotels. So the assured me they understand their obligation and that they're going to fulfil those obligations.”

Passenger Alec Paterson said his flight to St. John’s has been delayed at Pearson airport for three hours due to the technical issue, and six hours overall.

“It’s been going on for hours ... They just passed out a second round of pretzels,” he said.

Paterson said passengers learned about the delays from their pilots, but received no updates from Air Canada by email or through their customer app.

He said the airline’s recent technical problems will impact his decision to fly with them in the future.

“It’s pretty clear that this airline is barely functioning ... Air Canada can’t seem to maintain any level of consistent service,” Paterson said.

Passengers took to social media to voice their frustrations over delays, long wait times to speak to customer service agents and lack of communication from the airline.

Air Canada said it has put a “flexible policy” in place for passengers who wish to change their travel plans at no cost.

“We apologize for the impact on our customers and appreciate their patience,” the airline said.

This is the second technical issue in a week for the airline.

Last week, the airline briefly grounded flights due to an internal system problem, delaying nearly half its flights.