Rouge Uncommanded fuel transfer

Uncommanded fuel transfer diverts Rouge 767-300ER

• 18 July, 2019
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: David Kaminski-Morrow
  • London

Investigators are inspecting an Air Canada Rouge Boeing 767-300ER after it experienced the uncommanded transfer of fuel between tanks.

The aircraft (C-GDUZ) had been operating from Athens to Montreal on 16 July.

Transportation Safety Board of Canada says the twinjet, powered by General Electric CF6 engines, had been climbing to cruise altitude when the crew identified a "slight" fuel imbalance.

The crew carried out actions from the quick-reference handbook to try to rectify the situation.

But the board says the pilots subsequently determined that an uncommanded transfer of fuel – at the rate of 2.6t/h – was taking place between the left-hand main tank and the centre tank.

The aircraft climbed to around 32,000ft but, as a precaution, diverted to London Heathrow where it landed at about 18:15.

None of the 257 occupants was injured. The board says the twinjet has been undergoing inspection by the carrier's maintenance personnel.

Many years ago I was a passenger on a NWA DC9 from MSP to YYZ. Right side window seat just aft of the wing. Immediately after take off, a fuel spray started out of the right wing vent between the flaps and aileron. After pushing the FA call button a few times she was finally able to come back and I explained what I thought was happening. She went to call the pilots but came back a second time as I guess she didn’t understand what I was talking about. So I quickly sketched out a drawing/description on an airsickness bag. Moments later the Captain announced we were returning to Minneapolis. I can’t remember if or when the venting stopped before landing.

There were only a handful of passengers and as I deplaned the Captain asked if I was the one who called the FA. He said they had an uncommanded fuel transfer from the left to right wing fuel tank which were both full and caused the venting. He said it took awhile to figure out what was happening and where the fuel was going. They lost so much in that short 30 minutes they couldn’t continue.

11 hours ago, blues deville said:

Many years ago

I had a similar experience just after AC took over CP and I was travelling on a 737 for one of the few times in my life.

I was also on the right hand side just behind the wing and watched a liquid seeping out from the thrust reverser seam I cannot remember if it looked like oil or hydraulic fluid.  I sent my observations to the flight deck via the flight attendant and received an invite to go up and talk.

They said that the engine was on monitor and was due for a hangar visit in a day or two.  I checked the next day and saw that that airplane was now in the hangar for an unscheduled engine change.

Archived