Trainee technician dies as SpiceJet plane's landing gear doors close

conehead

Ewwww...

NEWDELHI (Reuters) – A trainee aircraft technician died after becoming pincered between a plane’s landing doors in the eastern Indian city of Kolkata on Wednesday, the airline said. 

Rohit Pandey was working on a SpiceJet Bombardier-developed Q400 turboprop plane when the hydraulic landing gear doors closed, the airline said in a statement.

“The hydraulic doors were broken to rescue Mr. Pandey but he was declared dead,” the statement said.

Kaushik Bhattacharjee, director of Kolkata airport, said a team from the aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had visited the site of the accident, which happened just after midnight. 

DGCA has already started an inquiry,” Bhattacharjee told Reuters, adding that Pandey was a 23-year-old trainee technician. 

In 2017, SpiceJet, a low-cost carrier, agreed to buy up to 50 Q400 aircraft in a deal, estimated to be worth up to $1.7 billion, from Canada’s Bombardier. The Q400 aircraft programme is now owned by Canadian plane manufacturer Viking Air.

SpiceJet did not provide more details of the accident.

(Reporting by Subrata Nag Chowdhury in KOLKATA and Devjyot Ghoshal in NEWDELHI; Writing by Devjyot Ghoshal; Editing by Nick Macfie)

On 7/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ex 9A Guy said:

I wonder what happened to hydraulic lockouts, pins or other safe guards. 3000psi in a hydraulic system is not to be trifled with. 

Just now, jackr said:

sawthisinhalifaxengineerstandingonmaingeartirelookingoverahydraulicfault.nopinsalmostcrushedbyclosinggeardoorswhensystemptressurizedbyhishelperaclosecall.

Just now, jackr said:

8 minutes ago, jackr said:

Hiya Jack: remember that like it was yesterday. I recall that Dale got caught but some quick thinking colleague of his  was able to   cancel the motoring of the engine and relieving the pressure.

Man, those days were SOOO long ago, eh?

Many of us that have worked on the ground for a reasonable length of time have either witnessed or performed what is deemed an unsafe act in order to keep the operation moving.  

I have done both, witnessed and performed, in the name of getting the people moving. I was never forced to do anything unsafe.  it was my judgement call that the risk was minimal and there fore justified.

We ALL do this to some degree every day or we would never get out of bed.

We do not know the whole story of what was going on that led to this but the chances are he weighed the risk, deemed it acceptable and proceeded with an undesired outcome.

2 hours ago, J.O. said:

As a trainee technician, he may have lacked the experience and knowledge to make a proper risk assessment. It's a task that should require supervision.

agreed

Archived