For Moon and any other DHC7 Crew

A recently departed friend spent some time on the CC-132 version with 412 Squadron in Lahr. He said it was the best and most capable transport aircraft he ever flew.

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

Looks good Moon. Hard not to notice that colour against the frozen tundra. 

with any luck that will never be needed

2 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

That's our bird in its new colours!

Transport-768x386.jpg

Very sharp Moon!

Does the blister canopy on the top really afford a better view than from the flight deck? The two vantage points look pretty close together.

2 hours ago, J.O. said:

That bump on the top looks like a "before" picture on Dr. Pimple Popper!

Haha. That show is hard to watch.

The DHC7 may not be the belle of the ball but I’d rather stare at it all day versus some of those surgeries. Yikes. 

18 hours ago, blues deville said:

Looks good Moon. Hard not to notice that colour against the frozen tundra. 

Hardly the Arctic!  I believe that's Port Hardy where we deployed a few years ago to monitor the clean-up of a sunken tug's leaked diesel fuel near Bella Bella. Never seen so much rain in my life (Port Hardy). A veritable rain forest part of Vancouver Island.

16 hours ago, Tango Niner said:

Very sharp Moon!

Does the blister canopy on the top really afford a better view than from the flight deck? The two vantage points look pretty close together.

The airplane was initially built for the sole purpose as an ice reconnaissance platform to supplement then ultimately replace the L-188's being operated on ice recon for the Canadian Ice Service, a branch of Canadian Coast Guard, operated by Nordair. The Elektras were removed from service less than 5 years later (~1989).

The observation dome (upper blister) was for the ice observer to look at and map arctic ice formation. Saved having two observers, one on each side of the aircraft. Can't sit there for takeoff and landing though...

The role of the aircraft today is much removed from ice observation and relegated to other national roles - marine pollution detection, Fisheries & Oceans projects, sovereignty flights, other...

Still lotsa fun after all these years!

The ND Electras were well equipped back when their contract started. My now 95 year old father was a key part of the aircraft selection and subsequent work to have them meet the ice recon requirements. One of them had its aft fuselage sliced off by low flying RCAF Argus who was in serious trouble in Summerside, PEI. ND found another Electra with the same aft section intact and rebuilt the aircraft. It continued to fly with two different total times/takeoffs and landings. The fleet also received some new paint schemes over their years of service. 

DDC32821-EC62-40E9-81E6-70FB3577461E.jpeg

00200710-5B92-4825-9452-7C69812825CD.jpeg

02D3816E-87DE-49F8-90B7-96338C42CEE0.jpeg

16 hours ago, blues deville said:

One of them had its aft fuselage sliced off by low flying RCAF Argus who was in serious trouble in Summerside, PEI.

What happened to the Argus?

6 hours ago, blues deville said:

I knew the Argus and her crew had struggled with the approach that day but I’d forgotten the scary details. 

I know I may be contributing to the thread creep here but a couple of photos of the remains of L-188 CF-NAZ in the hanger in YSU and being loaded on to a Super Guppy for shipment to Van Nuys CA for fuselage splicing to be reborn as C-GNDZ. Photo credit unknown.

fnaz_ysu_3mar77_001.jpg

fnaz_ysu_3mar77_012.jpg

Archived