Neat Gadget coming from WestJet

I bet this will be popular with the WestJet flight crews with small children as it will be for WestJet passengers.

WestJet developing Flight Light to connect families Français

News provided by

WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership

Jun 06, 2019, 08:00 ET

Airline's innovative nightlight lets business travellers and frequent fliers share their travel journey with their children

CALGARY, June 6, 2019 /CNW/ - As WestJet's network continues to grow globally so do the needs of guests who travel the most. With business travellers and frequent flyers often away from home, WestJet's Flight Light will let kids watch their parents flight in real-time and show them just how close they are to arriving home. To watch the video, click here.

By using live WestJet flight data, the innovative smart nightlight will project the path of a loved one's flight onto their child's bedroom ceiling. Synced through the specifically-designed Flight Light App on a mobile device before take-off, parents can enter their flight number into the app to provide the Flight Light with live data including their arrival and departure times. Parents will also be able to stay connected by sending messages and emojis to the Flight Light which will be projected in real-time onto the ceiling.

"Caring for our guests also means caring for the ones they love and with Flight Light we hope to bring more comfort and joy to parents and their children during their travel journeys," said Richard Bartrem, WestJet's Vice-President, Marketing Communications. "Being away home can be tough and we wanted to develop a fun tool that could help families stay connected to the ones they love in a truly authentic WestJet way."  

The innovative Flight Light design takes inspiration from the WestJet 787 Dreamliner and uses its colours and shape to create a fun and interactive device. The live flight data, along with an array of starlight, will project from the wing-shaped base of the light and the device also pulsates upon flight arrival.

A detachable flashlight takes the shape of the aircraft body and when the flight path isn't being projected, the flashlight will also be used to project a silhouette of an aircraft. The base of the light also functions as a regular night light designed to keep kids company throughout the night.

As WestJet continues to focus on technological innovation, a prototype of the Flight Light has been created and beta testing is scheduled to begin later this year. More information on Flight Light can be found by visiting westjet.com/flightlight.

About WestJet
Together with WestJet's regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships. WestJet Vacations offers affordable, flexible vacations to more than 60 destinations and the choice of more than 800 hotels, resorts, condos and villas.  Members of the WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of flights and vacations packages to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods, and have access to Member Exclusive fares offering deals to WestJet destinations throughout our network and those of our partner airlines.

WestJet is proud to be recognized for three consecutive years as Best Airline in Canada (2017-19) and awarded among travellers' favourite Mid-Sized Airlines in North America (2019). From 2017-2018, WestJet was also awarded among travellers' favorite Mid-Sized and Low-Cost Airlines in North America. The airline was also recognized among the Economy Class winners in North America, 2018. All awards are based on authentic reviews from the travelling public on TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site. We are one of very few airlines globally that does not commercially overbook.

WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the symbol WJA. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.

Recent recognition includes:
2019/2018/2017 Best Airline in Canada (TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2019 Winner Among Mid-Sized Airlines in North America (TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2018/2017 Winner Among Mid-Sized and Low Cost Airlines – North America (TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2018 Winner – Economy, North America (TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2018 Number-One-Ranked Airline Credit Card in Canada (Rewards Canada)
2018 North America's Best Low-Cost Airline (Skytrax)
2018/2017/2016 Canada's Most Trusted Airline (Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria)

Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Instagram instagram.com/westjet/
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com

SOURCE WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership

On 6/9/2019 at 10:00 AM, Marshall said:

I bet this will be popular with the WestJet flight crews with small children as it will be for WestJet passengers.

That's exactly me - WJ flight crew with small children - and yes, I'm very interested!

This almost feels like a WJ April Fool's post ? but if it's true AND they can pull it off, I think they'll have something of a hit on their hands.

And the cost will be ??

Good to hear that kids will always be able to keep track of their parents .

The next "got-to-have" item will probably be a mini tracker that parents can clip to their clothes so the kids know where  the parent(s) are when at their  place of employment.

Really, "a hit" ?? It will be a hit when there is a technical glitch, video dumps,  and some kid start screaming " Mommy/Daddy crashed" !!! 

With all the flight tracker sites out there, wouldn't it be just as easy to show these young  techy kids how to find out where Mom/Dad are ?? With What's App and FaceTime and I am sure there are more Apps out there parents can always be in touch before and after a flight...... but the horror of not knowing exactly where Mom/Dad  actually are during the flight will be alleviated............ but then again I guess it is important to not let kids feel like they have been abandoned for the duration of their parents flight to and from  anywhere...  

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

Kip: lighten up.  

All forums have a smattering of facts and many opinions......such is life...such is my life

I believe in technology ...in fact if I could get cash out of my computer I would never go to a bank....but all technology is not good.

The proof is in what you see with so many young kids...steps out the door , starts texting right away. We are slowly losing the ability for kids to have PATIENCE, to LISTEN to those that have been "here" for decades. To LEARN that Mom and Dad can't always be in contact. To engage in MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION.

We are getting to the point where kids are losing touch with reality. Being alone, without  one parent, or another, is a learning experience, and a bonding experience...Mom/Dad flying away for a time, without the above technology, eases a child into that reality.................. and personally, I think this gadget takes the  "Mom/Dad are home"   anticipation out of a child waiting to see one/two of their parents. 

Please bear in mind that I am not painting all children with the same brush, there are many fine kids out there  but more  kids should  learn  some short, and perhaps uncomfortable, facts of life.......being out of touch with Mom/Dad is one of them.

PS..I guess I should have used emojis to lighten up my previous post... 

Also....sorry for mini rant and  and drifting off the center line.....

Good to hear that kids will always be able to keep track of their parents”. 

Not really seeing the need however Kip brings up a good point. Knowing how much time you have to clean up and get all of the hookers out of your parent’s house could come in handy.

65EE7343-795B-4B69-9BF9-C2D66D0348D0.jpeg

While being connected and a close family unit is a good thing.  Kids need to be taught independence.  They don't or at least shouldn't need to know where mommy and daddy are all the time.  They need to learn to fend for them selves.  Pretty much everyone here grew up in a time when this technology didn't exist, even in the thoughts, and we are no worse off.

Many of the complaints about the Millenials are due to the Helicopter parenting and ALWAYS being connected.  Kids need to learn and fend for themselves without the backup of someone else otherwise all we end up with are adults who cannot make a decision for themselves.

Say good by to mommy and daddy, they will be back in a week. 

5 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

All forums have a smattering of facts and many opinions......such is life...such is my life

I believe in technology ...in fact if I could get cash out of my computer I would never go to a bank....but all technology is not good.

The proof is in what you see with so many young kids...steps out the door , starts texting right away. We are slowly losing the ability for kids to have PATIENCE, to LISTEN to those that have been "here" for decades. To LEARN that Mom and Dad can't always be in contact. To engage in MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION.

We are getting to the point where kids are losing touch with reality. Being alone, without  one parent, or another, is a learning experience, and a bonding experience...Mom/Dad flying away for a time, without the above technology, eases a child into that reality.................. and personally, I think this gadget takes the  "Mom/Dad are home"   anticipation out of a child waiting to see one/two of their parents. 

Please bear in mind that I am not painting all children with the same brush, there are many fine kids out there  but more  kids should  learn  some short, and perhaps uncomfortable, facts of life.......being out of touch with Mom/Dad is one of them.

PS..I guess I should have used emojis to lighten up my previous post... 

Also....sorry for mini rant and  and drifting off the center line.....

Just hang out around a high school, or at a mall food court and you will see proof of what Kip says.

33 minutes ago, deicer said:

Just hang out around a high school, or at a mall food court and you will see proof of what Kip says.

Funny. I don’t think you or anyone else here are going to this but we all know what you mean! ?

1 hour ago, deicer said:

There is a high school, 2 middle schools and 3 elementary schools in the neighbourhood, so I see the zombies walking by with phone in hand every day.

Was just kidding as I see the same around our neighbourhood. Heads down with iPhone glued to their hands walking across busy intersections. Social media is their priority. Safety and security a distance second. 

7 minutes ago, boestar said:

you dont need a school.  I see working adults doing the same.

Yes we are all ‘Phone Heads’ but the training now starts in grade school. However, as with many other things it should be used in moderation or it takes over your life. 

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

Yes we are all ‘Phone Heads’ but the training now starts in grade school. However, as with many other things it should be used in moderation or it takes over your life. 

In actual fact the training / dependence starts at home along with peer pressure and the parents desire to be forever in touch with their younger children.

There is that but I also often see new parents using iPads and iPhones as baby sitters allowing them to be on their own phones to check emails/Facebook/Instagram or whatever else they consider more important than actually parenting.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, Kip Powick said:

And the cost will be ??

Good to hear that kids will always be able to keep track of their parents .

The next "got-to-have" item will probably be a mini tracker that parents can clip to their clothes so the kids know where  the parent(s) are when at their  place of employment.

Really, "a hit" ?? It will be a hit when there is a technical glitch, video dumps,  and some kid start screaming " Mommy/Daddy crashed" !!! 

With all the flight tracker sites out there, wouldn't it be just as easy to show these young  techy kids how to find out where Mom/Dad are ?? With What's App and FaceTime and I am sure there are more Apps out there parents can always be in touch before and after a flight...... but the horror of not knowing exactly where Mom/Dad  actually are during the flight will be alleviated............ but then again I guess it is important to not let kids feel like they have been abandoned for the duration of their parents flight to and from  anywhere...  

I agree Kip,

Its a marketing gimmick to be sure. 

When the internet goes down around our place its an emergency. Kind of sad, but its the new normal, People constantly glued to their phones is an epidemic, but you can't deny its a very useful tool. Perhaps not unlike what our grandparents or great grandparents may have said when landlines were introduced. "Wad do I need that gadget for? If i need to talk to Joe down the road, I'll go see him!"  Then once he starts using it he realizes how much time he just saved to do other things.

the input to this topic has of course wandered from Aviation so I have no qualms entering the following but perhaps a moderator could move the thread into the Non Aviation forum.

'New 18 now is 28': How screens delay teens' emotional maturity

A recent doubling in teen rates of self-harm in Canada adds urgency to calls for community-based mental health services.

Smartphone use, moves to end stigma of mental illness could be driving up ER visits

amina-zafar.jpg
Amina Zafar · CBC News · Posted: Jun 14, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
Researchers said emergency department visits by those aged 13 to 17 in Ontario rose from 2009 to 2017, based on national data. Girls tend to show a greater willingness to seek mental health care than boys. (Shutterstock)

The number of teens who went to emergency departments in Ontario for injuring or poisoning themselves doubled from 2009 to 2017 — a surprisingly sharp rise after falling, say Canadian health-care providers. They are calling for better ways to connect young people with mental health services.

Increasing rates of self-harm among teens in Canada, the U.S., Australia and Europe are a concern in part because those who deliberately harm themselves are at greater risk for repeated injury or for suicide.

In a study published this week in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, researchers looked at emergency department visits by those aged 13 to 17 in Ontario, based on national data from the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

"The number of kids who have at least one visit for self-harm in a given year basically doubled from 2009 to 2017 after it had been falling consistently from 2003 to 2009," said William Gardner, a senior scientist at the CHEO Research Institute who holds a senior research chair in child and adolescent psychiatry at the University of Ottawa.

Specifically, the rates of self-harm visits rose from 1.8 per 1,000 in 2009 to 4.2 per 1,000 by 2017. Over the same period, mental health visits for anxiety and depression, for instance, increased from 13.5 per 1,000 to 24.1.

Both pose a huge and worsening strain on the mental-health system for young people, Gardner said.

'The new 18 now is 28' because there is a delay in the emotional and social awareness and maturation of adult skills, says Dr. Chris Wilkes. (CBC)

The big question is why. Gardner speculated on three potential reasons:

• The launch of the iPhone in Canada in 2008 and rising smartphone use and engagement in social media.
  • The financial downturn in 2008 and its lingering damage through job losses and family instability.
  • A greater willingness to seek help after campaigns to reduce the stigma of mental illness.

Smartphones facilitated shifts in how people of all ages socialize.

We can do a better job of taking kids who show up in the emergency department with mental health problems and getting them into care in their community.—  William Gardner

"For a certain group of vulnerable adolescents, kids who are at risk for various social and psychological problems already, a lot of them describe the experience of constant exposure to social anxiety [and] to bullying by peers as very stressful, and so that could be the cause of some of these problems."

For most people, Gardner believes, being online isn't terribly harmful. 

In hospitals, decreasing stigma could also mean physicians who see a laceration on the arm now ask, "Did you cut yourself?" Previously, the question wasn't asked, and the cut would be classified as an injury, Gardner said.

But emergency departments aren't suited for teens needing continuing mental-health care.

"We can do a better job of taking kids who show up in the emergency department with mental health problems and getting them into care in their community."

Continuing a long-standing pattern, the increases in self-harm and emergency visits were higher among females than males.

In focus groups, girls often complain of incessant pressure to present a perfect image on Instagram, as well as a greater willingness to seek out care than boys, Gardner said.

Boys' aggression a 'mental health problem'

The problems boys face tend to manifest differently, such as trouble controlling their anger.

"They will get involved in various kinds of aggressive and deviant activities that could lead them to trouble with the criminal justice system, and we don't talk about those things as mental health problems but in many ways they are."

The study was excellent in its portrayal of a dramatic increase in self-harm happening across Canada, said Dr. Chris Wilkes. He heads the child and adolescent psychiatry division at the University of Calgary and wasn't involved in the research.

"What we say in the area of children's mental health and adolescent psychiatry is that the new 18 now is 28 because there is a delay in the emotional and social awareness and maturation of adult skills."

Read eyes, not screens

More adolescents are living at home longer, often glued to screens. Wilkes called it a paradox that people have never been more connected yet alone. Online connections are no replacement for learning to read another person's eyes — in person.

"Emotional maturation takes time and it takes real experiences with relationships, and if you spend more and more time on screen time, you have less opportunities to practise these skills."

More broadly, Wilkes said, poorer teen relationships with parents, relatives and friends may have combined with cultural shifts to greater materialism and narcissism. Learning delayed gratification is at risk of being lost. 

Wilkes called Calgary ahead of the curve in providing walk-in mental health services in the community, in addition to national resources such as Sen. Stan Kutcher's teenmentalhealth.org.

On the front lines, school-based programs offer the best bang for the buck in prevention, he said.

"For every dollar you invest in early development you save $4 to $9 by reduced costs in education, justice, reduced mental health utilization and better employment prospects."

The future lies in integrating mental health and emergency department services, family and community resource hubs, acute care at home and peer support, Wilkes said.

The teen research was funded by an unrestricted grant from the ScotiaBank Foundation

Archived