Alaska Float Planes

I am curious about the experience level of the pilots. Generally these outfits have long time employed flight crews with hours and hours of coastal float time. My float days were in much less congested areas but if you were in radio range you heard me make my arrival and departure calls as everyone did. I’m sure these AK pilots did the same but two high wing, non-TCAS aircraft operating closely in the same airspace can easily get themselves into trouble. 

An unfortunate event but I hope this is only a “one of” accident and not a sign of the growing shortage of experienced pilots.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2019/05/14/you-are-at-the-mercy-of-nature-experts-warn-of-float-plane-risks-after-latest-deaths-in-alaska.html?utm_source=skies-daily-news-news-from-the-web&utm_campaign=skies-daily-news&utm_medium=email&utm_term=news-news-from-the-web&utm_content=V1

99B7055D-9686-4A3F-8EE2-BF3F36EA3E5A.jpeg

This time of year is the normal start-up for most Northern Canadian operators and with that usually new pilots starting out their careers. The Beaver wasn’t an entry level plane in my float days so I’m curious to know who is at the controls of these classic bush planes.

Archived