Sign in to follow this  
Kip Powick

AC Jazz Collides With Fuel Truck (YYZ)

I don't understand the geometry of the damage. Huge impact vicinity nose landing gear; truck at rest with severe aft fuselage damage, same side. Did fuel truck run into nose then get spun around to hit the aft fuselage?

Here’s my thoughts; fuel truck was travelling in same direction as Dash8 off the left wing.   Fuel truck decides to make a right turn directly into the nose section of the Dash8 (based on truck damage to the cage on right side of cab).

Dash8 was still moving forward, it spun the truck around 180* under the wing close enough to damage the #1 prop.  I didn’t see the prop damage until the latest photos.  I don’t make a habit of speculation but am trying to figure out the physics involved in this incident.

I can’t imagine what the crew saw or experienced when this happened.

3 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

I don't understand the geometry of the damage. Huge impact vicinity nose landing gear; truck at rest with severe aft fuselage damage, same side. Did fuel truck run into nose then get spun around to hit the aft fuselage?

Apparently that is what happened Moon. Fuel truck smacked the left nose, the Dash8 spun around clockwise while the truck stayed put as the prop and wing passed over the truck with the Dash8 meeting it again at the aft cargo door. 

I don’t think you could repeat this if you tried.....

Edited by blues deville

Any news on the crew?  Hope they’re ok, I hear the Captain is still in hospital with injuries...

51 minutes ago, conehead said:

Any news on the crew?  Hope they’re ok, I hear the Captain is still in hospital with injuries...

Press says..... 3 crew and 2 pax went to hospital

Press says ....all five injured have been released

Press says..... 4 released, one passenger still in hospital

Your source.... says  pilot in hospital 

Trumps says....  " the accident never happened, there was no 'collision' between the truck and the aircraft......just another example of fake news",

On 5/10/2019 at 10:01 PM, vanishing point said:

What does the age of the airplane have to do with anything? 

Maverick specifically asked,

On 5/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, Tango Foxtrot said:

Fin 326. Yes it is a 311. Not yet due for the 80,000 km check. I am guessing it will live on. That is a mere flesh wound on the mighty Dash.

image.png.8ccc8d99a0bf069c30531c91137cd96d.png