Concorde Momento

deicer

On 4/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, deicer said:

Anyone looking for a Concorde keepsake for the living room?

For Sale: An Original Concorde Jet Engine (With Afterburner)

Don't need a keepsake. Got my memory! (and the 1/72 wood model my wife got me for Christmas 5 years ago, on our memento cabinet in the living room).

Closest for me was flying thru its wake turbulence over France. It was headed west while we were southbound to Spain. A little ripple. Unlike an A380 wake turbulence where it felt like you got punched in the chest. 

22 hours ago, blues deville said:

Closest for me was flying thru its wake turbulence over France. It was headed west while we were southbound to Spain. A little ripple. Unlike an A380 wake turbulence where it felt like you got punched in the chest. 

The AF Concorde was probably enroute to SM15W after departing one of the 26's at CDG. I'm guessing it followed a similar flight profile the BA Concorde flew xLHR in that it remained at ~FL280 until able to climb in supersonic transition to its first waypoint on the SST tracks of the day ( http://occ.ivao.aero/proc_atc.php?page=conc ).  I would guess the climb transition was initiated somewhere north of the Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey).

Blues, can you remember where you were (lat/long/FL) when you flew underneath her flight path?

I was sitting in BGI one day waiting out a turnaround when BA delivered a Concorde to Barbados for its last flight ever. Couple of pilots and 2 mechanics got off, did whatever was needed to disable it then walked away. I remember the Crew turning around one last time to stare at it. 

Eventually it was towed to a make shift hanger where it sat covered for a few years for eventual transfer to a museum when it was built. Was kind of sad to see such a majestic bird abandoned like that, although it did find a forever home.

https://barbados.org/concorde.htm#.XL2eJ4pE2fA

10 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Blues, can you remember where you were (lat/long/FL) when you flew underneath her flight path?

Not quite but I remember the weather was CAVU and the AF Concorde passed in front of us left to right at the same level. We were west of Paris probably talking to Brest ATC on our way to Faro. Summer wet-lease out of Manchester if you recall those days. 

The odd thing was they didn’t warn us about wake turbulence. Instead the controller said we might hear a ‘sonic boom’. I wasn’t quite sure how that was going to happen. 

When the Concorde was on its farewell tour, it came through YYZ.  It was departing R23 with our 767 next in line holding short at Hotel. With us only a 150 feet away, it brought the engines up to full, before releasing the brakes.  I've never experienced a better example of turning JetB into noise.  Our whole airplane shook with rock concert level bass boom that made your stomach flutter, and we were unable to hear ourselves.  In my memory, I've made it a full afterburner takeoff, but can't really remember whether that's true or not.  Pretty impressive way to let everyone know you're leaving the building either way.

5 hours ago, acsidestick said:

When the Concorde was on its farewell tour, it came through YYZ.  It was departing R23 with our 767 next in line holding short at Hotel. With us only a 150 feet away, it brought the engines up to full, before releasing the brakes.  I've never experienced a better example of turning JetB into noise.  Our whole airplane shook with rock concert level bass boom that made your stomach flutter, and we were unable to hear ourselves.  In my memory, I've made it a full afterburner takeoff, but can't really remember whether that's true or not.  Pretty impressive way to let everyone know you're leaving the building either way.

All their operational departures were "full reheat" (that's Brit for afterburner). They were turned off in the third segment, if I recall, and re-lit during transition to supersonic flight until a stable shock wave was established (somewhere vicinity M1.3). From Blues' description, they were in their initial transition. Something to behold, for sure!

Archived