Sign in to follow this  
jump seat

WG511

Today my partner was on WG 511, was supposed to be a 737, but was "upgraded" to a Eastern 767 .... on their flight from YYZ - CUN they had to land at MSY due to a left engine failure.... any idea what WG will us to get the passengers on their way?

I think they are in a pickle. I see Sunwing currently has 2 767’s on lease from Eastern, to cover the grounded 737 Max shortage.

So people have just got off the plane.... in the lounge two passengers got into a flight....

WHY DOESN'T SUNWING PROVIDE UPDATES TO THE PASSENGERS?

5 minutes ago, jump seat said:

WHY DOESN'T SUNWING PROVIDE UPDATES TO THE PASSENGERS?

They never have, why start now?

For years now, I’ve heard of and witnessed the incredibly poor way Sunwing treats their passengers during a disruption.  I always advise my friends to choose another airline other than this one.

I always preferred the tilt-down truck of the 763 vs the tilt-up of the A330. Made for a much smoother, almost unnoticeable touchdown (in the right hands!!!).

Edited by Moon The Loon

A colleague and myself actually mused the other day of the idea of moving Sunwing passengers from a brand new, sophisticated, state of the art Boeing 737MAX to a bunch of clapped out B767 operators out of Miami all in the abundance of safety.  In my humble opinion....🤐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunwing-toronto-cancun-flight-emergency-lannding-new-orleans-1.5078712

Passengers on a Cancun, Mexico-bound flight from Toronto were left stranded for several hours on Saturday after their aircraft made an emergency landing in New Orleans.

Sunwing Flight 511 left Pearson International Airport just after 10 a.m. on Saturday but had to land at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans at 1:32 p.m., Marcelo Gomez who was a passenger on the flight told CBC Toronto.

"The plane had an engine problem and had to land in New Orleans. Local authorities could not host our group at the airport so we had to wait for four hours onboard," Gomez said.

But the Toronto resident said being stuck on board the grounded Boeing 767-300 aircraft was only the beginning of their ordeal.

"According to regulations, airplanes cannot have passengers on board for more than four hours, so around 4:40 [p.m.], we left the plane and local authorities put us in a closed room that looked like a big hallway or tunnel," Gomez explained.

He said they ended up spending another three hours in that area.

The Sunwing crew onboard were "excellent, very nice, patient [and] empathetic," and even ordered pizza for everyone, Gomez said, but the real problem started after they exited the disabled aircraft.

"[There was] zero communication with customers and [the] call centre had no information to provide," Gomez said.

"It's critical for companies in cases like this one to communicate often with their customers; otherwise it looks terrible on them and creates a lot of frustration such as the one I've seen this afternoon everywhere around me."

The plane that suffered mechanical trouble was recently leased by Sunwing from Eastern Airlines, according to publicly available aircraft registration data.

It was leased to cover the loss of four Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft that were grounded by Transport Canada on March 13 in wake of the Ethiopian Airlines disaster.

Gomez told CBC News that passengers were advised Saturday night that another plane had been sent from Miami to take the more than 250 passengers to Cancun.

Sunwing didn't immediately respond to CBC's requests for comment.

22 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

I always preferred the tilt-down truck of the 763 vs the tilt-up of the A330. Made for a much smoother, almost unnoticeable touchdown (in the right hands!!!).

You haven't felt one of my crunchers.

Just call me Tango "Wrong Hands" Niner... 🤪

• Haha 1

So a Wet leased aircraft makes an emergency landing in an unscheduled / unserved city with no company support and people expect timely updates?

If it were a  sunwing aircraft then OK I can see the call centre having some information but not a lot.

Eastern would be handling all logistics of getting the aircraft underway again and their communication would be internal to Eastern.  Sunwing would need to contact the Eastern Operations for details which would still be sketchy.

In cases like this it becomes a game of Purple Monkey Dishwasher..  Too many levels of communication and by the time it gets to the passenger the message is "Puple Monkey Dishwasher"  no real information.

Airlines in General do NOT have a decent script or plan for when the excrement hits the rotary oscillator.  They hope it doesnt happen then play it by ear when it does.

Just once I would like to hear the announcement that says "  The number 2 engine grenaded itself and we are waiting for a replacement aircraft which will be departing in XX Minutes from XXX which will put the aircraft here at XX:xx.  At that point we will make every attempt to get underway is as short a period as possible.  If anything changes we will make an announcement."

7 hours ago, boestar said:

Eastern would be handling all logistics of getting the aircraft underway again and their communication would be internal to Eastern.

From what I've heard, this would be the first time the words "Eastern" and "handling logistics" have appeared in the same sentence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, J.O. said:

From what I've heard, this would be the first time the words "Eastern" and "handling logistics" have appeared in the same sentence.

When I recall Eastern Airlines, I recall horrible maintenance practices.

• Like 1

Too add some more information to this diversion, I was told some of the flight attendants were in tears on descent, told passengers there may be a need to evacuate on the runway so get ready.   When they landed, they cleared the runway on their own and CFR followed them to the gate.

Passengers were held on the plane for close to 4 hours with no updates.  The plane was extremely hot and stuffy.  When they got into the terminal the Eastern Flight Attendants immediately disappeared.  The passengers were monitored by Custom officials who were there only source of information.  The custom officials were helping passenger, providing updates, there were NO updates by any Eastern crew.  When the replacement aircraft got to the gate, no gate agents, everybody just got on the plane and went back to their seats.

I spoke with Sunwing and all they said to me was we are refunding $400 to each passenger, but they had no idea about a recovery aircraft details.  Their customer service closed @ 2000, after that it was rumours and more rumours...

The lack of care, attention was horrible.  I guess people got what they paid for.

31 minutes ago, jump seat said:

Too add some more information to this diversion, I was told some of the flight attendants were in tears on descent, told passengers there may be a need to evacuate on the runway so get ready.   When they landed, they cleared the runway on their own and CFR followed them to the gate.

Passengers were held on the plane for close to 4 hours with no updates.  The plane was extremely hot and stuffy.  When they got into the terminal the Eastern Flight Attendants immediately disappeared.  The passengers were monitored by Custom officials who were there only source of information.  The custom officials were helping passenger, providing updates, there were NO updates by any Eastern crew.  When the replacement aircraft got to the gate, no gate agents, everybody just got on the plane and went back to their seats.

I spoke with Sunwing and all they said to me was we are refunding $400 to each passenger, but they had no idea about a recovery aircraft details.  Their customer service closed @ 2000, after that it was rumours and more rumours...

The lack of care, attention was horrible.  I guess people got what they paid for.

For the umpteenth time, "You get what you pay for"

Any of the old AC types remember the "Silver Bullet" and the Eastern L-1011 we used to "Share"?  Scary to say the least

Not sure about this version of EAL but the original ‘Eastern Airlines’ were actually a very good company who just didn’t adapt to a deregulated US. Our family interlined with them a few times and were always treated well by their crews and staff. They had a hanger in YUL where they overnighted older prop planes (Super Connie’s, Electra) back in the day and later on B727’s. Apparently the people working there could always be counted on to help out their hangar line neighbours. Eastern were the launch customer for the 757 and of course famously nick named their 727’s ‘Whisper jets’.

Our house in Montreal was just south of the ILS 10 localizer at YUL. I had an old VHF airplane radio the my father had rigged up and I could monitor all the ATC chatter giving me some insight about what was going on around Dorval. Due to the wind and weather one snowy night, the ATIS advertised “approach in use ILS10 circle to land 06R”. I wasn’t quite sure what that meant at the time but later while standing outside shoveling the driveway I heard a loud noise, looked up and saw an Eastern 727 so low directly over our West Island house I thought it was going to hit the Pointe Claire water tower. They broke cloud and had started to circle for 06R a few hundred feet above the neighbourhood. Gear down with lots of flap out, landing lights illuminating the ragged cloud base. And it scared the crap out of me.

893268D9-9387-4D72-9086-2531C8E69FB5.png

Edited by blues deville
Typo
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:10 PM, AIP said:

For the umpteenth time, "You get what you pay for"

I hope you don't really believe that, I have had significant problems flying paid J class.... On a first rate airline... Normally 

To me it comes down to a corporate culture of doing what is right for your customers and empowering your front line people. 

• Like 1