“If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium”.

A 1960’s comedy movie about tourists in Europe.

However, this week it’s a 2019 comedy about pilots operating a BA connecter flight (WDL aviation) landing in Edinburgh instead of the scheduled Dusseldorf destination.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/uk-british-airways-flight-lands-in-edinburgh-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

66F80510-33B0-4DFD-9075-A34A9800B498.jpeg

Two pilots in absolutely the wrong profession. This is inconceivable when knowing you are going to go to Dusseldorf (EDDL) and get a clearance to Edinburgh (EGPH), enter it into the FMS and execute it.

There's got to be more to this story other than pure unadulterated incompetence. More, I say...

Two pilots in absolutely the wrong profession. This is inconceivable when knowing you are going to go to Dusseldorf (EDDL) and get a clearance to Edinburgh (EGPH), enter it into the FMS and execute it.

There's got to be more to this story other than pure unadulterated incompetence. More, I say...

As you say, more to the story, I'm sure.

I almost did a similar thing a long time ago.

Myself and F/O, walking down the hall minding our own business. Crew scheduler nails us and tells us there has been a crew misconnection and we are drafted to do xxx to YYZ, (from YUL).

OK, we go to dispatch and at that time we used block clearances for fuel so we filled out our paper work with fuel for YYZ and went to the airplane.

Called Clearance delivery and got a clearance to Ottawa. Hmmm, maybe it is a short clearance with further airborne. 

But, wondering if that is realistic call dispatch. Yes, you go to YYZ with that flight number but via YOW.

Good job we checked as we had fuel for YYZ and the understanding that that was where we were drafted to go, mindset fixed.

I have often thought about the reaction if I had made a PA over YOW at FL 310 announcing our ETA at YYZ.

We came close to doing what BA did here.

"This is inconceivable when knowing you are going to go to Dusseldorf"

I'd bet that  they did not know the flight was meant for Dusseldorf and they went where they thought they were supposed to go.

Judge not or there but the grace etc. 

Many years ago I made the announcement about our flight to Luxembourg

and was promptly informed by a pax they were going to Klugenfurt. Ramp

had mixed up the 2 planes with paxs and bags. No problem- we just called

ops and switched the 2 flights! Something I don't think could be done today! 

Archived