Driverless Snow Plow Plus topic drift into Pensions

37 minutes ago, Rich Pulman said:

The major benefit of a well managed DC plan is that the equity doesn't die with you. A DB on the other hand, does.

Not always, mine provides a pension for my wife if I die before her.  Mind you to get that I took a slightly reduced pension.

24 minutes ago, Rich Pulman said:

Setting up an account with a transfer agent can be a bit of a PITA, but after that you can set up an automatic deduction from your bank account every month and let the dividends reinvest. There's ZERO fees to invest through a transfer agent, and you never have to spend a minute of your time "working" your portfolio after the initial setup. If you have enough capital, forgo the transfer agent and get a discount brokerage account instead. Fees will be < $100/year and time spent "working" the portfolio would be less than an hour a month. Seriously, how much time do you (the proverbial "you") think a professional financial advisor spends on YOUR (the proverbial "your") account every year??? If they're spending more than an hour a month, they're trying to increase their fees by churning you account. It's not rocket science, but personally, I'm glad so many people think it is. I own bank stock and love that people pay the fees. ?

That is the strategy I have taken as well.  DRIP's are a good friend.  Banks are good friends ?

My major point is, talk to the average Joe about this stuff and they think you're an alien.

1 hour ago, Rich Pulman said:

Fair enough, but you’re still paying for the privilege of leaving your wife (assuming she survives you) a reduced pension. What happens if she dies before you? Will your pension go up?

So far on the winning side. 

1 hour ago, Rich Pulman said:

What happens if she dies before you? Will your pension go up?

That is the question I asked when Scuba02 passed last year and "No" it does not go up. 

I too gave a bit of pension up so she would receive my full Airline pension if I passed before she did.

I don't know about the other 'trades' but the AC pilot  pensions do not increase each year. That growth was given up, forever I guess. when AC was against the ropes.

14 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

That is the question I asked when Scuba02 passed last year and "No" it does not go up. 

I too gave a bit of pension up so she would receive my full Airline pension if I passed before she did.

I don't know about the other 'trades' but the AC pilot  pensions do not increase each year. That growth was given up, forever I guess. when AC was against the ropes.

Mine was not indexed either.  Others have told me that when they die the funds in their non DB pension will pass onto their survivors.  Well, mine will go to my spouse and if we are both gone then frankly I DON'T care if the rest, if any balance remains, is gone. 

This group is generally well educated (as are most pilots, etc) and they have a lot of spare time in cruise and hotels to read boring investment type documents. I know personally that my investing returns to a big hit in ROI when I left the flight line for an office job and my kids became soccer, hockey, swimming, dance fanatics. So did my exercise too until I figured out a routine. Lots of time in hotels is a great reason to read a prospectus, use the treadmill......and then drink beers.

Warning, don't read a prospectus if your working early mornings a nap is inevitable....

Archived