Driverless Snow Plow Plus topic drift into Pensions

‎Today, ‎March ‎15, ‎2019, ‏‎6 minutes ago

Winnipeg Richardson International Airport Unveils North America’s First Autonomous Airport Snowplow

‎Today, ‎March ‎15, ‎2019, ‏‎10 minutes ago | Canadian Aviation News

Provided by Winnipeg Airport Authority Inc/CNW

WINNIPEG, March 14, 2019 /CNW/ – Today, Winnipeg Richardson International Airport introduced ‘Otto’, the first autonomous airport snowplow in North America. The plow is the result of a partnership with Manitoba companies Northstar Robotics Inc. and Airport Technologies Inc. (ATI).

‘Otto’ is a specially designed ATI Snow Mauler configured to operate autonomously using Northstar Robotics technology. The plow performs snow clearing tasks by following predetermined routes and controlling the plow blade at specific locations.

A shot of North America's first autonomous airport snowplow, Otto. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) A shot of North America’s first autonomous airport snowplow, Otto. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) A shot of North America's first autonomous runway snowplow, Otto at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) A shot of North America’s first autonomous runway snowplow, Otto at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Otto, North America's first autonomous airport snowplow, at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Otto, North America’s first autonomous airport snowplow, at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Shawn Schaerer, President and Founder of Northstar Robotics, a company partner in this venture. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Shawn Schaerer, President and Founder of Northstar Robotics, a company partner in this venture. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Vince Dancho, WAA's Senior Vice President introducing Otto, North America's first autonomous airport snowplow. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Vince Dancho, WAA’s Senior Vice President introducing Otto, North America’s first autonomous airport snowplow. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Airport Technologies Inc.'s President, Brendon Smith. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.) Airport Technologies Inc.’s President, Brendon Smith. (CNW Group/Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.)

Today marks a significant milestone for the project, as the vehicle can now operate autonomously in less complex areas of the airport. Research and development continue, with the next step being the operation of the plow in additional areas of the airport.

Otto is equipped with 3D LIDAR and RADAR that can sense its surroundings and detect obstacles.  The plow is also equipped with a fault tolerant wireless emergency stop system, a further safety enhancement. 

“Launching North America’s first autonomous snowplow is a great achievement for Winnipeg Richardson International Airport,” said Barry Rempel, President and CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority. “Our success is a direct result of bringing together partners who are committed to lead transportation innovation and growth.”

“Autonomous technology is changing how we work,” added Shawn Schaerer, President and Founder of Northstar Robotics. “It is exciting to partner with companies that are ready to adapt and pioneer this cutting-edge technology.”

“ATI is proud to be part of the team breaking new ground in snow clearing technology,” said ATI’s President, Brendon Smith. “We are excited to continue to find new ways to incorporate autonomous technology into our equipment.”

58 minutes ago, Fido said:

A complete waste of times, money, and effort

why? Perhaps there would be a labour cost saving due to no need to pay regular or overtime wages,

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

why? Perhaps there would be a labour cost saving due to no need to pay regular or overtime wages,

Be careful what you wish for. Eventually we’re going to automate ourselves into bankruptcy and there will be no one left to fund those pesky pensions.

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

would that have been offset by the R&D required as well as cost of maintenance and operation?  Cost recovery is likely a very long time

I'm guessing the R&D delta would be relatively low.  The remote drive by wire is already proven in settings like de-icing trucks, the navigation would actually be far easier than for city streets as the airport is defined, confined and controlled.  You might need a LIDAR for surprises like wildlife but you might not need stuff like agile collision avoidance or pedestrian handling.

Then there is the concept of 'driverless'.  I'm thinking the thing is monitored with remote takeover possible 100% of the time.

Vs

1 minute ago, boestar said:

ding one airplane and the costs go out the window.

as can be said for all other vehicles operating airside. 

3 hours ago, boestar said:

would that have been offset by the R&D required as well as cost of maintenance and operation?  Cost recovery is likely a very long time

I will leave that up to the experts who authorized the trial.

14 hours ago, J.O. said:

Be careful what you wish for. Eventually we’re going to automate ourselves into bankruptcy and there will be no one left to fund those pesky pensions.

Automation promises to be one of the great social challenges of our generation. The fear that robots will steal our jobs is an old one. But it’s being felt all the more acutely thanks to the rise of new technology.

What’s often overlooked is the role that tax policies play in this. Current policies in many countries, including the US and UK, encourage automation even when it would not otherwise be efficient. Plus, the switch to automation also dramatically reduces the government’s tax revenue because fewer human workers mean fewer tax contributions. This means that any attempt to deal with the rise of robots will be inadequate if it fails to consider the tax implications.

'Why we should start taxing the robots that are taking human jobs'

2 hours ago, Airband said:

Using USA for example.....

Births in 2018...........over 3.8 million

Deaths in 2018.....  approx 2.6 million

In 20 years many of the difference,  (1.2 million...not factoring in that many of the deaths would be retirees and the elderly so not in the workforce)), could be seeking employment and with the increase in automation, not find work, and thus the social system, (tax dollars), will have to look after those that can not acquire employment.

A partial fix would be to restrict the size of an American family...perhaps 2 children max..... a rather radical approach, ( the Chinese have used it), but it is being discussed with parental organizations on the fringe of the American society.

30 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Using USA for example.....

Births in 2018...........over 3.8 million

Deaths in 2018.....  approx 2.6 million

In 20 years many of the difference,  (1.2 million...not factoring in that many of the deaths would be retirees and the elderly so not in the workforce)), could be seeking employment and with the increase in automation, not find work, and thus the social system, (tax dollars), will have to look after those that can not acquire employment.

A partial fix would be to restrict the size of an American family...perhaps 2 children max..... a rather radical approach, ( the Chinese have used it), but it is being discussed with parental organizations on the fringe of the American society.

You have to be careful venturing into that area as to who is currently producing large families.

42 minutes ago, boestar said:

and that is why DC is better than DB.

Apologies for the thread drift...

A properly run DB is always better than a DC.  The operative phrase is 'properly run'.  It is when the thieves, like Conrad Black, want to steal the profit out of it that trouble starts.  A quick study of all failed pensions are usually a case of management or investors raiding the pensions and dumping the carcass on the government.

A DC pension is better for the institutions because they can charge higher fees.

On that note My DC I have now performs better than the DB where I used to be BY FAR.  Mainly because I get to choose the investment portfolio.

1 hour ago, deicer said:

A properly run DB is always better than a DC.  The operative phrase is 'properly run'. 

In my case, I agree,....I know a few folks where their DC was run by an idiot and they lost a very significant amount..... both plans are totally acceptable, but must be Properly Run..

I like self directed myself.  no one to blame but me if i perform poorly.  I don't like letting other look after MY money.  Fortunately, for a moron, I have managed it pretty well.

Good on ya for being responsible and knowledgeable enough to manage your finances.  I, fortunately, have done OK as well.

However...

99 percent of the population either can't or won't, and therefore put their trust in their companies and institutions.

As we have seen, it isn't that pensions can't be administered in a honest and profitable manner, it is that they make so much money they become a target for corruption.  After the huge raiding of pensions that has happened in the last couple of decades, nothing's left in the pot.  So now it is more profitable to force employees into DC pensions and to sit back and rake in fees on an annual basis.

Archived