BOAC 747 retro jet marks BA centenary...

vanishing point

10 minutes ago, vanishing point said:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-boac-747-retrojet-marks-british-airways-ce-455845/

My earliest aviation memory is my mother taking my sister, brother and I to England on a BOAC 747 in 1970.  Still a classy paint scheme.

Still looks good. Sometimes retro paint schemes are better than the current ones. 

EF07A594-4CA1-4AF8-9FFA-15F5DEAA8F58.jpeg

5 minutes ago, blues deville said:

Sometimes retro paint schemes are better than the current ones. 

Ain't that the truth - let a bunch of creative marketing types trample on tradition with their idiotic ideas about "updating and modernizing the brand with a fresh colour palette!"

PICTURES: BA turns back time to 1960s with BEA A319 retro livery

•  
  •  
  • Facebook.png
  • Twitter.png
  • GooglePlus.png
  • LinkedIn.png
  • Pinterest.png
  • Email.png
  • 04 March, 2019
  • SOURCE: FlightGlobal.com
  • BY: Max Kingsley-Jones
  • London

British Airways today formally unveiled its second retrojet, an Airbus A319 (registration G-EUPJ) painted in the "Red Square" livery used by BEA on European services between 1959 and 1968.

Asset Image

Max Kingsley-Jones/FlightGlobal

Close X

LEARN MORE

The aircraft arrived at London Heathrow this morning from Shannon following repainting and is set to enter service later today on a flight to Manchester. Initial scheduling also dictates that the BEA-liveried A319 will operate to Brussels and Zurich.

Asset Image

BEA's fleet during the "Red Square" era included BAC One-Eleven and Hawker Siddeley Trident (below) jets, and Vickers Viscount and Vanguard turboprops. While the top and bottom of wings in the original scheme were red, that colour has only been applied to the A319's lower wings. The upper surfaces have remained grey to meet current wing-paint reflectivity requirements.

Asset Image

The original aircraft / FlightGlobal archive

The A319 joins BA's existing BOAC Boeing 747-400 retrojet operating as part of the airline's centenary celebrations. Another Boeing 747-400 (G-BNLY) will be unveiled in Landor colours this month. A fourth retro-livery – again applied to a 747-400 – is expected to be BA's original Negus & Negus red, white and blue scheme which the airline adopted upon its creation in 1973.

Asset Image

Asset Image

Asset Image

Asset Image

Looks good.

We flew on BEA from LHR-GLA-LHR in 1969. My father had interline passes and BEA delivered us from their London ticket office directly to the ramp parked Vanguard sitting us in club facing seats. Return flight was a Viscount. Talk about royal treatment!

57B07D9C-D057-4B0A-BC6E-2E568BA23985.jpeg

6 hours ago, vanishing point said:

I’m never heard of “wing-paint reflectivity requirements”.  Can anyone elaborate?

It's likely part of the airworthiness standards for evacuation routes over the wing.  For example:

"An escape route shall be established from each overwing emergency exit, and (except for flap surfaces suitable as slides) covered with a slip resistant surface...

...The escape route surface shall have a reflectance of at least 80 percent, and shall be defined by markings with a surface-to-marking contrast ratio of at least 5:1."

Archived