Qantas Engine Ferry

blues deville

1 hour ago, boestar said:

One of AC's old -200's had the fittings for a fifth pod I never installed one on it though.  I did, however, load a 4th pod on BWIA L-1011 several times

I saw it once from the side-it was one mean looking machine!

2 hours ago, vanishing point said:

Anyone know if all 747’s or DC10’s were built with this extra hardpoint or would a buyer have to check off that option box when ordering?

Initially all 747's had the hard points because there were no aircraft large enough to transport a 747 engine if someone needed one at a distant point.

Once the 747F was introduced, (large enough hold to carry a 747 engine), the hard point became an option. Some airlines that had only 747 pax aircraft opted for the hard points rather than pay for  another carrier to transport an engine if and when it was required away from their maintenance  base.

Not sure about the DC 10

18 hours ago, vanishing point said:

Anyone know if all 747’s or DC10’s were built with this extra hardpoint or would a buyer have to check off that option box when ordering?

Not all of them had it.  At AC Tail 308 was the only 747 equipped with the hard points.  The rest of the fleet didn't have them.  Interestingly 308 was also equipped witha (deactivated) Water Meth system.  

Archived