Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Jan 30 2 Air Tindi aircraft down

16 hours ago, Southshore said:

My outfit had an office the the Field hangar. Never saw soooo many rivet heads in my life as on that airplane. 😉 

Our G1 showed some metal being made in the oil. I called RR in YUL to ask if we had a serious problem. A Scotsman asked me "Does it have a part number on it?" I asked back "Does what have a part number?" He said "The metal in the oil". I said, confused, "No". He said "@#*$ing call me back when it does" and hung up on me. Gotta love the Darts.

Today we worry if we need to add a litre of oil.  I remember the L-1011 calling down from the #2 engine for another CASE of oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, boestar said:

why would the need water meth up north.  Thats normally for hot climates.

Depends on the application. eg. WM on the G1 only restored power to ISA values whereas on the CV 640 WM added power, about 600 hp I think. I don't know about the Hawker. And I'm about out of info now.

Edited by Southshore

On 2/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, boestar said:

why would the need water meth up north.  Thats normally for hot climates.

Because it's British, typically under powered. Have they ever built a plane that couldn't use watermeth for a boost? It gets warm enough in the summer to need it.

Back in the day, our DC6B out of YPR would quite often take on ADI fluid, it did however cause a problem on one flight as the barrels were not clearly identified and deicing fluid ended up in the ADI tanks, on take off she lost one engine, started to turn , lost another , then the third, turned on final and lost the 4th.  Safely glided in.  Lucky though it was YPR and not YXT.  After that the barrels of fluid were clearly marked.