WestJet 787

Maverick

Gatwick is a "Leisure" airport.  It is where the charters operate from as well as the LCCs.  It's like YHM. Smaller than LHR and located farther away from the London City Centre.

I personally prefer LGW only because its 20 minutes from family so its more convenient.  It is also easier to get around.

One thing you do not see there is the Business Traveler, well at least not like you do at LHR.

Know your market.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, boestar said:

Gatwick is a "Leisure" airport.  It is where the charters operate from as well as the LCCs.  It's like YHM. Smaller than LHR and located farther away from the London City Centre.

I personally prefer LGW only because its 20 minutes from family so its more convenient.  It is also easier to get around.

One thing you do not see there is the Business Traveler, well at least not like you do at LHR.

Know your market.

I'm amused by the armchair quarterbacking going on here. LGW is clearly not the end game for these aircraft. They have 75% more range than needed with lie-flat pods that you correctly pointed out aren't an LGW thing. I think though that with 16 on each aircraft a percentage will still get sold at a handsome premium.

Do people really think they're not going to deploy these aircraft on higher-yield routes? AC can probably price match or undercut us but why would they? WJ will never have a comparable international presence and that's okay.

I have every confidence that once Westjet establishes a sustainable relationship with the unions, and learns to manage three four different propositions - Encore, Swoop, mainline domestic narrow body and intercontinental wide body - that it will once again be a darling of consumers and investors. I read the story, and frankly didn't learn much I already knew, or for that matter, anything that regular followers of the industry didn't know. WS has the advantage that the current crop of ULCC carriers like Flair aren't especially captivating. I don't see a Spirit in the group. As for intercontinental growth, I think WS has to stay in its lane. The intercon high end market is very competitive, with lots of foreign sked and LC options, Transat, AC, competitive for every cabin. AC also has been smart to hols the line on international capacity, adding it in through Rouge mainly, and by leasing in more 333 capacity rather than exercising options on more 787s.

Archived