WestJet 787

Maverick

Not gonna lie, pretty excited about this!

WestJet's first Boeing 787 Dreamliner takes flight from Everett, Washington

EVERETT, Wash. – WestJet's first Boeing 787 Dreamliner took to the skies for the first time Saturday, successfully completing its initial test flight with more scheduled. The airplane is the first of 10 787s on firm order for the Canadian low-cost carrier.

WestJet expects to take delivery of the 787 in the coming weeks, with an eye to launch trans-Atlantic flights between Calgary, Canada, and London Gatwick starting April 28. The airline will add Dreamliner service between Calgary and Paris Charles de Gaulle on May 17 and between Calgary and Dublin, Ireland, on June 1.

The cabin on WestJet's 787s will be arranged in a three-class configuration, seating 304 total. The airline is using the opportunity to unveil a swank new business class cabin that will feature on-demand dining and turndown service for the 16-passenger section. The seat appears to be the popular lie-flat B/E Aerospace Super Diamond seat that's also used by national rival Air Canada.

TODAY IN THE SKY: Delta partner WestJet adds Atlanta flights

A small premium-economy cabin will seat 28, with a product that looks similar to a typical first-class seat seen in domestic flights within Canada and the United States. The remaining 260 passengers in economy will sit in a 3-3-3 configuration. The airline says each seat will have TVs and power. 

The first Boeing 787 due to Canadian low-cost airline WestJet lands at Boeing's factory in Everett, Washington, after its first flight on Jan. 5, 2019.

The first Boeing 787 due to Canadian low-cost airline WestJet lands at Boeing's factory in Everett, Washington, after its first flight on Jan. 5, 2019. (Photo: Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren, special to USA TODAY)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2019/01/06/westjet-airlines-first-boeing-787-dreamliner-takes-flight-everett/2495398002/

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they come with an automatic ETOPs or will they have to be flown for awhile between points in Canada to build up the experience time?  If so Domestic passengers will def. enjoy the experience.

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Do they come with an automatic ETOPs or will they have to be flown for awhile between points in Canada to build up the experience time?  If so Domestic passengers will def. enjoy the experience.

I hate to keep reminding you Malcolm...NOT passengers  4326.gif ..........................GUESTS !!

39 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I hate to keep reminding you Malcolm...NOT passengers  4326.gif ..........................GUESTS !!

Naughty Kip, no trolling allowed.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

WestJet has an approved ETOPS program for the 767 so the addition of the 787 should be a fairly straightforward endeavour after some domestic proving runs. 

59 minutes ago, J.O. said:

WestJet has an approved ETOPS program for the 767 so the addition of the 787 should be a fairly straightforward endeavour after some domestic proving runs. 

good to hear.  It will be interesting to follow it's introduction.

8 hours ago, Super 80 said:

I still have a very bad feeling about this endeavor, a lot of things have to line-up perfectly for the 787s to earn their keep.

Unsurprisingly "internet" agreed with you. ?

That being said, I have some concerns but the same whinging went on when WJ started Hawai'i and that turned out okay.

Yes, the 787 is expensive but I like the feed system and I also like that WJ has always been very willing to change if something doesn't work.

I like this.

The 787 has had its share of issues since its introduction by Boeing and Japan’s ANA. I think at one point ANA were ready to return all of their planes to Seattle due to electrical and engine problems. I don’t think the battery fire defect was ever completely resolved. Boeing just put the whole unit in a container that is vented to the outside.

Hopefully Westjet can have a good start up without any mechanical delays.  

11 hours ago, Maverick said:

That being said, I have some concerns but the same whinging went on when WJ started Hawai'i and that turned out okay.

Yes, the 787 is expensive but I like the feed system and I also like that WJ has always been very willing to change if something doesn't work.

I like this.

Sorry to make your day - it’s a really ugly livery on a massively expensive airplane with far more capabilities than required.

See the next 4 AC A330’s.

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

I like this.

Hawaii was nowhere near as ambitious or as risky. The 787 endeavor requires a lot more than just ETOPS and 130 people who want to go to Maui. WestJet has to execute flawlessly and the stars have to align perfectly where the economy, alliances and slots at international destinations are concerned for the 787 to be a success. If WestJet announced instead that they were buying more 767-300ER or 777-200s or A330s I wouldn't have any real concerns about their further international expansion, but WestJet appears to be embarking on this in just about the most expensive way possible.

16 minutes ago, rudder said:

Imagine making your primary 787 departure hub Calgary, AB.

Smaller city. Small catchment area. Weak economy.

Great choice.

wise decision considering the limited number of aircraft to start and of course the mtce available at YYC.  One thing though, it appears that the aircraft arrives in LGW at 11am and returns to YYC at 1300 or will there be 2 aircraft as of April 28th. If not is a 2 hour turn for a 787 realistic?

53 minutes ago, rudder said:

Imagine making your primary 787 departure hub Calgary, AB.

Smaller city. Small catchment area. Weak economy.

Great choice.

How many widebodies can WestJet realistically operate from Terminal 3? What was the outcome of the Infield Terminal pilot project? (not WestJet)

8 minutes ago, Fido said:

Turn time is a function of dedicated manpower

I well know that but containers off / containers on.  Grooming and then  of course catering off and catering on.   Then guests etc etc  Thus my question re if 2hrs was realistic for that type of aircraft at an overseas point requiring full replenishing

Archived