AC taking four ex-WOW A321ceos in 2019

dagger

I see on another website they are headed for Rouge. Given Wow's fire sale, this feels like an opportunistic buy. Since the Max and CSeries orders, AC has leaned towards good fins on the used market. These are 2014 vintage aircraft. It has passed on more 787s in favour of used A330-300s, avoided the Max-9.

19 minutes ago, j.k. said:

Shunning more Boeings plays well politically too after the BS from Boeing and the Americans.

I'm not sure about the politics of it, but balancing the two sides of the airframer duopoly - letting both believe AC is a good customer but not one it can take advantage of in the next seller's market - is smart.

7 minutes ago, Geminoid said:

Would these 321s be replacing some 319s?  Or expanding the Rouge fleet?  I thought that the agreement was that Rouge could grow by 1 aircraft for every 2 that mainline added.

Most likely growing capacity without growing the fleet. In  a 321-for-319 swap, the additional seats per fin in Rouge configuration would be substantial. On Seatguru, the Rouge 319 has 136 seats, the Rouge 321 has 203. The 321 has more premium seats than the 319. From a CASM perspective the 321 operating cost is a lot lower, although the actual reduction would depend on ownership issues as well, like are the 319s fully amortized original AC equipment, or leased pickups, and whether AC puts them on the books as a straight cash purchase to be depreciated, or ultimately opts for a sale-leaseback.

4 hours ago, j.k. said:

Shunning more Boeings plays well politically too after the BS from Boeing and the Americans.

I don't think they're shunning Boeing so much as recognizing the 787 is just too expensive for most transatlantic missions (something WestJet failed to recognize) and the 737-900/-9 doesn't have a place in Air Canada's fleet as long as the A320 family sticks around.

11 hours ago, j.k. said:

I heard A350-1000 orders are in the works too as a 777 replacement... not B777X.

Maybe, but I don't see AC in any hurry to do anything about the 777s. Unless, of course, Airbus wants to further depress the opportunities for the 777X by moving some key operators to the A350-1000 with great deals.

Transat is evolving to a single platform (Airbus) CCQ pilot qualification arrangement (321/330). Not so far fetched that AC would examine this at Rouge as replacing the 767’s becomes a necessity.

As for the A350 - just one North American customer (DAL) so far. I suspect Airbus is still ticked about losing the AC NB fleet renewal tender. Having said that, AC remains a significant Airbus fleet operator. Perhaps a package of reasonably priced A321NEO/A350 might attract AC attention. A330NEO might also be a possibility.

For now, AC seems comfortable picking up A321/330 in the resale market.

4 hours ago, rudder said:

Transat is evolving to a single platform (Airbus) CCQ pilot qualification arrangement (321/330).

I heard through a TC friend that they are already there

Archived