Canadian Passenger Rights

12 hours ago, Tiburon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/airline-refund-policies-credit-card-chargeback-1.5598623

Would-be passengers get around airline refund policies via credit card chargebacks

Customers can get chargeback from credit card company if no refund or no response from airline company

If a response doesn't come within 15 days or is rebuffed, customers can call the payment card issuer and request a chargeback on the grounds that services they paid for were not rendered.

"The burden of proof is now on the carrier," Lukacs said.   

He recommends asking for a dispute adviser or an agent with a similar title in the credit card department. Clients should insist on a chargeback process even if the bank suggests the matter is between them and the airline or that the tickets were non-refundable — an irrelevant point, Lukacs said.

"You need to be really very, very assertive."

Credit cards spell out consumer rights in documents online.

Most are being declined by the insurance companies for the credit card because the issue was resolved by the airline with a voucher.  others are getting 50% if that.  The headline is misleading.  people are TRYING to get arouond it.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:54 AM, boestar said:

Most are being declined by the insurance companies for the credit card because the issue was resolved by the airline with a voucher.  others are getting 50% if that.  The headline is misleading.  people are TRYING to get arouond it.

Hey it is the CBC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, boestar said:

FWIW, I recently used this method and the CC (AMEX) refunded my money. So it does work, although I have no idea the overall success rate.

it most definetly does work and I do not know the success rate either.  anecdotal evidence of the vocal minority on social media says it does happen to some extent.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:53 PM, Rich Pulman said:

FWIW, I recently used this method and the CC (AMEX) refunded my money. So it does work, although I have no idea the overall success rate.

And that is probably why AMEX especially the platinum goes beyond the regular CC because of their annual fee.