Have you considered these 5 pilot jobs?

blues deville

I think hurricane hunting would be interesting work.

To be a committed cargo pilot requires some special talents as well. 

But I was most surprised that fire bombing wasn't on the list, which may be the most dangerous and challenging of all the alternatives to airline flying.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:33 PM, DEFCON said:

But I was most surprised that fire bombing wasn't on the list, which may be the most dangerous and challenging of all the alternatives to airline flying.

Yeh, Napalm was the best !!!

Kinda hard to get employed in that field any more.....water bombing might be fun though  5141.gif

2 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Yeh, Napalm was the best !!!

Kinda hard to get employed in that field any more.....water bombing might be fun though  5141.gif

The correct term is "aerial firefighting". It includes bird-dogging, water bombing and fire retardant delivery. All of them involve taking an aircraft near the fire zone at low altitude in very challenging conditions. It's impressive to observe - and not for the faint of heart. 

That accident and a second involving a Grumman PBY led to the grounding of the US Forest Service fleet in 2002. The subsequent inquiry found that maintenance standards were not adjusted to account for the increased time spent in heavy turbulence while fighting fires vs routine ops for the same aircraft type. It resulted in major changes to how aircraft were contracted for fighting fires. The damage rate factors on converted air tankers is now as high as 7 to 1 unless engineering stress analyses are performed to prove that a lower rate is valid. There have still been accidents, but there hasn't been an airframe failure involving a North American firefighting aircraft since.

Archived