Sign in to follow this  
FireFox

Politically Correct Christmas Nonsense Thread

Feel free to contribute yours...here's mine:

Nebraska principal reportedly bans candy canes, says 'J shape' stands for Jesus

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nebraska-principal-reportedly-bans-candy-canes-says-j-shape-stands-for-jesus

An elementary school principal in Nebraska was reportedly placed on leave after telling teachers to avoid decorating their classrooms with Christmas-themed ornamentations so as not to offend those who don't celebrate the holiday.

The principal at Manchester Elementary School, identified by Fox affiliate KPTM as Jennifer Sinclair, sent out a memo earlier this week with guidelines as to what is considered appropriate for classroom decorations and assignments.

Teachers were reportedly told that generic winter-themed items, such as sledding and scarves, and the "Frozen" character Olaf, were acceptable.

Decorations that included Santa, Christmas trees, reindeer, green and red colored items and even candy canes were not acceptable for the elementary school.

The candy canes, according to KETV, were prohibited because Sinclair deemed them to have religious significance. "Historically, the shape is a 'J' for Jesus. The red is for the blood of Christ, and the white is a symbol of his resurrection," she reportedly wrote. "This would also include different colored candy canes."

"I feel uncomfortable that I have to get this specific, but for everyone's comfort, I will," Sinclair reportedly wrote in the memo.

The Elkhorn School District, which did not immediately return Fox News' requests for comment, told KPTM in a statement that "the memo does not reflect the policy of Elkhorn Public Schools regarding holiday symbols in the school."

The district's policy states that "Christmas trees, Santa Claus and Easter eggs and bunnies are considered to be secular, seasonal symbols and may be displayed as teaching aids provided they do not disrupt the instructional program for students."

Sinclair was reportedly placed on administrative leave as of Thursday morning.

15 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Nebraska principal reportedly bans candy canes, says 'J shape' stands for Jesus

Someone tell this bozo that he is holding it upside down

Councillor’s Christmas objections seen as ‘divisive’

Louise Dickson / Times Colonist

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM

Coun. Ben Isitt’s objections to Christian symbolism in the city’s December decorations are divisive, creating prejudice and animosity instead of celebrating the cultural diversity in our community, former Victoria councillor Pamela Madoff said Monday.

Last week, Isitt said Victoria should not decorate public property with boughs of holly or turn the giant sequoia in Centennial Square into a Christmas tree. He suggested — and won council support — to have city staff report back on options to increase the cultural diversity in the decorations.

“His remarks are very divisive. It’s suggesting to one group that you should remove the symbols that may be very meaningful to you,” said Madoff. “Would you say ‘Only burn seven candles of the menorah, rather than eight?’ Would you say ‘The Hindu festival of lights shouldn’t be bright?’ I think we should be doing more in any way we can.”

It would have been better not to talk about taking away Christmas symbols and instead ask if there is more we can do to support other faith groups in the community for the holidays and sacred days they hold dear, said Madoff.

She compared Isitt’s remarks to the removal of the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first prime minister, from the front steps of Victoria City Hall. “If you don’t bring people together, then the outcome is going to be division. And that’s what happened with the statue. People didn’t get a chance to understand and learn and try to move forward as a community. And this is the same thing. And because Coun. Isitt was so specific — ‘I don’t want to see stars. I want to see snowflakes’ — it just doesn’t seem so well thought out.”

By noon Monday, the Times Colonist had received 80 letters to the editor, none in favour of the review of Christmas decorations. CFAX radio’s noon talk-show lines lit up as well. And Twitter blew up with feeds depicting Isitt as the Grinch and Scrooge.

On Monday, Isitt said he was “not really” aware of the backlash. “I’ve just been away with family for the weekend and I’m still away,” Isitt said in an interview from the Lower Mainland. “I’ve had about a dozen emails, some in favour of diversifying the decorations and others opposed.”

Although Isitt’s Twitter account was shut down, he said it had nothing to do with a backlash. “I take a break periodically from my Twitter account and I’ll be restoring it once I’m back to work tomorrow. I just get off social media to take a break and to have some down time.”

Tax dollars should not go toward spiritual symbolism or toward religious or spiritual practice, said Isitt. “No tax dollars go to lighting the menorah. And no tax dollars go into Muslim or Buddhist or other forms of spiritual practice.”

Madoff disagreed. In 2017, Victoria council hosted a dinner with members of a mosque to celebrate breaking the fast of Ramadan, she said. The lighting of a giant menorah and Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, take place in Centennial Square. The mayor and council meet in the mayor’s office for a ceremonial lighting of a second menorah.

“Tax dollars support the programming in Centennial Square,” she said.

If there’s a backlash, it’s positive, said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. “Diversity means tolerance and means we welcome everyone. It’s a positive reminder of what Victoria values,” she said.

“It’s unfortunate this motion came forward in the way that it did and was interpreted in the way it was interpreted. I think our seasonal decorations are fantastic and light downtown in the dark of winter. … We have way more important things to worry about at the table than what our lights

Finally common sense prevails, at least at the CBC

CBC reinstates Baby, It's Cold Outside amid audience input

Citing audience input, CBC has reversed its decision to remove the holiday track Baby, It's Cold Outside from seasonal playlists.
CBC News · Posted: Dec 11, 2018 12:39 PM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

esther-williams-ricardo-montalban.jpg
Baby, It's Cold Outside has been performed by celebs from Ray Charles to Michael Bublé. It's been put on ice by some radio stations, but CBC has decided to reinstate the holiday tune. (MGM/YouTube)

Citing audience input, CBC has reversed its decision to remove the holiday track Baby, It's Cold Outside from seasonal playlists.

"Last week, we decided to press pause to consider the different points of view on playing Baby, It's Cold Outside. Because we value our audience input, which was overwhelmingly to include the song, we have put it back on the two playlists where it had been removed," Chuck Thompson, CBC's head of public affairs, said in a statement Tuesday.

"Appreciating not everyone interprets lyrics the same way, listeners may wish to skip the song as we understand not everyone will agree with this decision."

In the last few years, the winter-season duet penned in 1944 has come under increased scrutiny for what some consider to be inappropriate lyrics. 

In late November, a Cleveland radio station announced it had stopped playing Baby, It's Cold Outside in response to listeners who took issue with the call-and-response tune, in which one singer attempts to cajole the other to stick around and not leave.

Last week, CBC and two other broadcasters noted the song had been removed from their musical rotations this year, sparking multiple headlines, opinion pieces and vigorous debate on social media. 

Bell Media, which runs a pair of 24-hour Christmas stations, said it hadn't included Baby, It's Cold Outside on its playlist this year and didn't plan to reintroduce it in the future, according to a spokesperson.

Rogers, which operates several all-Christmas music stations, said last week it had removed the song without noting a reason for the decision.

Always wondered where the outrage was with rap lyrics. I go to a gym where they play rap/edm from Sirius XM. I never listened to the “lyrics”, but a few words/phrases caught my attention. To think there is an outrage over “ baby it’s cold” is laughable.

https://www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-50-grossest-rap-lyrics/

1 hour ago, st27 said:

I go to a gym where they play rap/edm from Sirius XM.

Me to!!. I have often wondered the same thing and I can't fathom the thought process going on here. Breathtaking hypocrisy doesn't seem to cover it. Perhaps a liberal member of the forum could enlighten us.... my guess is that finding the lyrics repulsive would be considered racist. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

This sort of insanity shouldn't surprise us being 34% of people polled claim they're prepared to vote for trudeau again.

Yep...you guessed it...Someone’s favourite news source goes off the deep end again !!

NYT Writer: Cancel Office Christmas Parties So Women Avoid Harassment

It’s the least wonderful time of the year," says New York Times columnist Jennifer Weiner in a recent op-ed. The source of her Scroogey disposition: office Christmas parties (she uses the politically correct term "Holiday" party) because of all the sexual harassment that women face.

According to Weiner, the prospect of the "Holiday" party is a difficult one for women due to the difficult task of "choosing clothes that signal that you are polished without being boring, attractive without being provocative, and that you’re looking to be promoted, not propositioned."

For women, it’s never easy," she says, adding that men "have it all figured out" when it comes to festive wear.

In an appearance on CBS "This Morning" on Monday, Weiner said that she would prefer it if the office "Holiday" party was canceled entirely so that women could have more money in their paycheck instead of having to stress over what to wear.

"Why are we having holiday parties at all?" Weiner wondered aloud. "Wouldn't you rather have an extra hundred dollars in your paycheck than have to go be social with the guy with the stale coffee breath whose been looking at your backside every time you go to the copier."

Later, Weiner gave some advice on how women can survive the office Christm– excuse me– "Holiday" party, which included a shoutout to Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh of attempting sexual assault against her 36 years ago at a pool party.

Do not drink. Have a friend, have a plan, like if that guy who checks out your butt as you go to the copier, corners you, have a friend who will be looking out for you … I joke that like, unfortunately if I was telling somebody what to wear, I would say a body camera at this point … A body camera and the Christine Blasey Ford memorial one-piece bathing suit under the clothes, which is terrible, but here we are.

Since the #MeToo movement broke in the fall of 2017, the office "Holiday" party has been the source of much debate. Some offices have resorted to banning all alcohol to avoid any awkwardness. Vox Media did this last year after firing its editorial director over allegations of sexual harassment. In an email to their New York staff, Vox underscored that partygoers will each receive two drink tickets and after that, only non-alcoholic beverages will be served to avoid potential "unprofessional behavior." Email below:

Hello all,

We invite you and a guest to join us at Vox Media’s holiday party on December 12 at Freehold. Details are in the invite - please click to RSVP by Wednesday, December 6th.

A note on alcohol at this event: This year, at the request of many of you, we will ramp up the food and cut down on the drinks. There will be more passed hors d’oeuvres to keep everyone well-fed. And instead of an open bar, each attendee will receive two drink tickets with which they can get alcoholic drinks if they choose. After that only non-alcoholic drinks will be available.

We recognize that even though alcohol isn’t always the reason for unprofessional behavior, creating an environment that encourages overconsumption certainly contributes to it. We hope that you all appreciate the spirit of this change and we look forward to celebrating with you!

Sincerely, The Experiential Team

https://www.dailywire.com/news/39301/nyt-writer-cancel-office-christmas-parties-so-paul-bois

Survey suggests Canadians still feel warmth for 'Baby It's Cold Outside'

The Canadian Press
Published Friday, December 14, 2018 3:52PM EST
Last Updated Friday, December 14, 2018 4:00PM EST

TORONTO -- A new survey suggests most Canadians have warm feelings for the holiday song "Baby it's Cold Outside," despite controversy over its lyrics.

The national poll by Campaign Research found 72 per cent of respondents disagreed with radio stations that pulled the song from airwaves because some listeners found the lyrics upsetting.

Canadians older than 45 were most likely to disagree, with 75 per cent opposed to a ban, while those aged 18 to 24 were most likely to agree, with 26 per cent supporting a ban.

Radio stations owned by Bell Media and Rogers Media pulled the classic duet from playlists earlier this month. Interpretations of Frank Loesser's 1944 jazz standard often feature a male singer trying to persuade a female singer to stay inside, with lines that include, "Baby, don't hold out," "Say, what's in this drink?" and "The answer is no."

The CBC temporarily pulled the tune from two holiday playlists, but restored it within days after audience backlash. Corus Radio stations have kept the song on its playlists.

The online study involved 1,494 randomly selected Canadian adults who are members of Maru/Blue's online panel Maru Voice Canada. The questions were part of a monthly omnibus study conducted between Dec. 11 and Dec. 13. Participants were given incentives to respond.

Culture expert Robbie MacKay, a lecturer at the Dan School of Drama and Music at Queen's University, says unease around the song reflects growing sensitivities to gender politics in the MeToo era.

He's not surprised that younger people seem most likely to challenge the song's deeper meaning.

"Especially with millennials, if they're in post-secondary institutions they've been more sensitized recently to the MeToo story and the MeToo idea," says MacKay, who teaches a course called the Social History of Popular Music.

Nevertheless, he doesn't believe the song is about consent as much as public perceptions, given that the object of affection continually makes reference to their reputation.

The song is open to many interpretations, he adds, and should not be evaluated solely by its lyrics.

"One thing that I make clear with my students is, when we are trying to figure out what a song means there's a whole bunch of different elements of the meaning. Not only do we have lyrics, but we have to listen to the music that accompanies the lyrics to find out whether the music suggests that the lyrics are ironic or whether the lyrics are sincere or whether they're playful," MacKay says from Kingston, Ont.

"At the same time, all of us as listeners and viewers bring our own perspectives in this mix as well. Whatever a song means is always a co-construction between the creator and the receiver."

Regionally, the poll found support for the ban weakest in Atlantic Canada and Alberta, where more than 80 per cent of residents disagreed.

The panellists were selected to reflect Canada's age, gender and regional distributions. The results were weighted by education, age, gender, and region, and in Quebec, language.

MacKay didn't read too much political significance into a radio station's decision to play or not play the song.

"We can't blame any radio station who is worried about the commerce of the situation. There are so many Christmas songs to choose from, why would you bother to air something that you knew was going to turn some of your listeners off?"

But he bemoaned blanket bans that cut off the chance to delve into societal concerns.

"It denies a conversation that maybe has to happen. It's an important conversation," he says.