AirBus A220 News

5 hours ago, dagger said:

Airbus strongly suggests there will be larger versions of the A220 - like an A220-500 that will compete with the lower end of the A320 market. This was Boeing biggest concern with the CSeries. 

https://twitter.com/airchive/status/1085571094260707333

Airbus open to developing larger version of A220

•  
  •  
  • 16 January, 2019
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: Jon Hemmerdinger
  • Mobile

Airbus is "likely" to develop a larger derivative of its A220 in the coming years – but only after the company has ramped up production and the aircraft has secured a firm place in the global aviation market.

"It's very likely that… once the A220 has done the ramp up, is economically viable [and] then we can further invest, that this is going to happen," Airbus president of commercial aircraft Guillaume Faury tells reporters on 16 January. "Once this success is on track, it would be time for looking at what we do for the product.

"We are not there yet," he adds. "We see the very strong potential." Industry observers have suggested such an aircraft would be called the A220-500.

Faury made his comments in Mobile as Airbus prepared to host an event marking the start of construction of Airbus's A220 Mobile assembly site.

Speculation had long swirled that the A220's previous owner Bombardier might develop a larger version of the aircraft then called the CSeries. The line-up includes the A220-100, which can carry up to 135 seats, and the A220-300, which can accommodate up to 160 passengers. Bombardier always denied those suggestions.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-open-to-developing-larger-version-of-a220-455067/

I don't have a subscription to Leeham, but I know the gist of the argument - that Airbus will move the A320/321 up one half size, focus on extended range, and make the A220-500 its 150-160 seater because the economics are so good. A bunch of upgrades are already planned to the -100 and -300 to improve its economics further. It will be interesting to watch Air Canada's experience with the -300 vs the Max 8. \

https://leehamnews.com/2019/01/17/airbus-new-a220-is-more-of-a-match-for-a320neo-than-airbus-says/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just now, Malcolm said:

Airbus to offer Skywise data services for A220s by 2020

• 18 January, 2019
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: Jon Hemmerdinger
  • Montreal

Airbus intends to offer an A220 version of its Skywise data and analytics services sometime next year, a move executives say reflects Airbus's commitment to supporting its newest commercial aircraft.

"We have developed a strong expertise at Airbus along the Skywise approach and the data analytics type of work," A220 programme head Florent Massou told reporters this week in Mirabel. "That could be implemented here. I think that would be the next step."

"The A220 will be connected to Skywise later in 2020," Airbus later confirmed with FlightGlobal.The news comes the same week Airbus held media events during which executives stressed that the company will use its vast resources to support and make a success of the A220, a programme Airbus acquired from Bombardier in July 2018.

The support includes assistance related to marketing, sales, engineering, supply chain, procurement and information technologies, executives say.

Airbus has also been clear about its intention to expand Skywise, a suite of data products it launched in 2017.

Delta Air Lines, which is a major A220 customer, was among initial Skywise customers, signing a deal to support its A320s and A330s.

The Skywise brand encompasses  data services that Airbus says enable airlines to benefit from the massive amounts of data flowing off modern commercial aircraft.

Airlines that submit aircraft data into the Skywise platform can receive free data analytics in return, though airlines can pay for more advanced services, Airbus has said.

The analytics can help carriers reduce operational disruptions by up to 30%, Airbus has said.

20 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Didn't scroll down far enough..my apologies..my post deleted

No apology required.  I should have caught it before you got to it.  you Old Eagle Eyes  ?

My original reply also deleted. 

Archived