Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

On the Way to the 2019 Federal Election

you want to keep more of your income move to Nunavut.  if thats not an option then BC, Alberta or Ontario.  in that order.

You are citing your own situation as if it applied across the board. I'm guessing you don't live in a rural area, work in agriculture or have need of a 3/4 ton truck.... that's just for starters. In addition, I'm the guy who plows the private road (because I live at the end of it) even though none of the other residents contribute to the cause; that's about $3000.00 in direct costs (after taxes) alone. The other residents think that since I already own the truck and plow that it's all free. BTW, those other residents have moved out here and built mansions raising my assessment and taxes in the process.  

And no one is suggesting that people are filling their tank every day.... it was just an example of "a day". No one spends 5 hours a day, everyday in out patients either. 

Really, move to the arctic.... is that the best ya got? For some people working part time at $12.00 an hour, those 3 hour shifts aren't worth the effort, have a sandwich and you are losing money. Being retired, my situation is different then most as well.... but, having a part time job (say reviving my flying instructor category) is simply not cost effective or reasonable.

It leads me to wonder if the entire situation is reasonable. Luckily, there are reams of flight instructors eh? It serves as a disincentive for me anyway and I don't bother with part time work anymore even though I would like too. If it's an unreasonable situation for me, I'm prepared to consider the notion that it might be for others as well. I would have thought that working part time might be a net benefit to all concerned and it clearly isn't.... 

Edited by Wolfhunter

5 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

To me, the example reflected how the spending of $100 of earned income was affected in their fuel purchase.  I did not interpret it to mean your entire income. Sometimes you have to read between the lines and not take every little word literally.

Like I said...how you interpret it is up to you.

the point is that if you are paying $33 on your hard earned $100 that means you are pulling in a 6 digit salary and $67 worth of fuel really aint that much.so in reality.  what you just payed was 0.039% in tax from an income of a nice round 100K.  that would be on top of the 26.3% of the total Tax you actually payed on that $100 not 33% as the meme implies.

interpreting it with FACTS make more sense that trying to illicit an emotional response based on lies.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

having a part time job (say reviving my flying instructor category) is simply not cost effective or reasonable.

My wife suggested the same to me. My answer was, “ How much of the family resources should I spend to support a flying school?” It’s simply not worth the expense and effort. Pay back would take years as most everything earned would go to expenses and taxes. With the price of fuel courtesy of the idiot, a round trip alone would eat up at least an hours wage.

Edited by Jaydee

Interesting ... have a friend that is pushing me to go back instructing (once I retire) and there is not enough in it for me. Getting recertified is a big undertaking, financially and I’m not sure many clubs/schools would be interested in my idea of a schedule. 😏 

I spent some time teaching at Bonavair, Ottawa back in the day.

• Like 1

Regardless of what some say, this picture is worth a lot more than 1000 words. Sadly, the state Canada finds itself in....Because it’s 2019 !!

4879C363-0E53-4F5C-AA0C-53F6FC1164EF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Canadian dollar delinks from Wall Street as domestic risks threaten

TORONTO (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar is losing its usual tight link to the performance of U.S. stocks as investors pay more attention to domestic economic headwinds than signs of improved prospects for the U.S. economy.The signal that Wall Street sends about the U.S. economic outlook tends to be an important driver of the loonie because Canada sends about 75 percent of its exports to the United States, including many commodities such as crude oil. 

But the correlation between the S&P 500 and the Canadian dollar has collapsed since March, with the loonie losing ground even as U.S. stocks notched a record high.

The market’s message is “we’re confident in U.S. growth, we’re confident in U.S. corporate profitability and normally that would spill over to Canada, but right now we’re worried about the Canadian consumer, Canadian housing, Canadian natural resource investment,” said Adam Button, chief currency analyst at ForexLive.

The Bank of Canada last week slashed its gross domestic product growth forecast for the year to 1.2 percent from 1.7 percent in January, blaming a slowdown in the country’s oil sector, a weaker-than-expected housing sector and the negative impact of global trade policies. Trade uncertainties, including negotiation of a new trade deal between Canada, the United States and Mexico, were a drag on the loonie when its correlation with U.S. stocks last broke down in July 2018. 

The three countries struck the United States-Mexico-Canada agreement (USMCA) last September, but the chances of the countries ratifying the pact this year are receding. 

Meanwhile, the rally in oil prices since December of as much as 57 percent has not led to increased investment in Canada’s energy patch, while a lack of pipeline capacity has capped the amount of oil Canada can get to the global market. 

“People are realizing that we’re not a petrocurrency and that there is a much larger, much more important household consumption sector,” said Karl Schamotta, director of global markets strategy at Cambridge Global Payments. 

In the fourth quarter, household spending was about 57 percent of Canada’s gross domestic product, according to data from Statistics Canada, while household debt as a share of income widened to a record 174 percent. 

Canadians have taken on record amounts of debt in recent years, fueling a rapid rise in real estate prices. But the housing market has softened since the start of 2018, weighed down by tighter mortgage rules and interest rate hikes from the Bank of Canada. 

“You could see the interest burden on Canadian consumers rise to a pace that it becomes difficult to manage,” said Scott Smith, managing partner at Viewpoint Investment Partners. 

In a potential sign that investors have become worried about a recession in Canada, the country’s yield curve inverted in March for the first time in more than a decade.

“The market is getting much more picky about some of the domestic headwinds facing individual countries and less likely to believe that rising global growth will float all boats,” ForexLive’s Button said. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-currency-stocks-analysis/canadian-dollar-delinks-from-wall-street-as-domestic-risks-threaten-idUSKCN1S825H?utm_source=Eloqua&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=00012DA_NewsletterMorningNewsCall_Other&utm_content=MNC_CA_05032019

Of all the things trudeau has to worry about coming into the election....this is a topper:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-andrew-leslie-set-to-testify-against-feds-at-mark-norman-trial-sources-1.4406831

And if there is a crowd fund for Mark Norman,  please contribute......everybody else seems to be getting their legal costs covered except for the accused.....thanks a pant load little potatoe, you vindictive **bleep**!

“CTV News has also learned that Leslie asked that his legal costs be covered by the government, and that request has been signed off on, sources said.

In contrast, CTV News has learned that Norman’s legal fees, which are not being covered by the government, have grown to more than $500,000 and that this has presented him with a serious financial burden that sources tell CTV News is very difficult for him to deal with at the moment.”

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

Vice Admiral Norman has a pretty solid reputation in military circles... I predict JT is in for another pummelling and the timing of it couldn't be worse (for him). Parati vero parati

The timing couldn’t be better for Canadians though :Dancing-Chilli: !!

From the article...

“ Norman’s defence team, headed up by Marie Henein, is now arguing that the charge against Norman was politically motivated because of how the leak caused trouble for the PM.

Think about what that claim actually says: The PMO worked behind the scenes to put the head of the Navy behind bars because he inconvenienced Trudeau.

Brace yourselves for a case that’s just getting started. “

Edited by Jaydee

And it all started with that weasel Brison!! 

Trudeau boasted that charges would likely be laid, even before the RCMP were involved. Norman’s defense lawyer should have a field day with that.

Conservative MPs have accused Trudeau of meddling in Norman’s case after the prime minister predicted publicly on two separate occasions that Norman, the former second-in-command of the Canadian Forces, would face trial for his alleged role in disclosing Liberal government plans to pause a project to acquire a naval supply ship from Quebec-based Davie Shipbuilding. Though Norman was eventually charged with one count of breach of trust, Trudeau’s statements came well before the RCMP laid the charge.

https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/canada/top-generals-communications-with-trudeau-media-to-come-under-spotlight-as-mark-norman-case-proceeds/wcm/c83cb512-2add-4a0b-b77c-7f1d33ac5458

A source says Leslie informed the Prime Minister’s Office last year about his offer to testify. That news “didn’t go over well,” said the source, describing the reaction as “stunned silence.”

Did somebody say there was an election in the near future?? More of our money being spent on vote buying....for a family with 4 kids (2 under 6 and 2 between 6-17), it’s about $22 k in cash, tax free, per year from the Libs....just imagine how some of our new immigrant families are doing with their large numbers of kids. No wonder people are lining up at our our borders .... with all our financial supports for refugees (are we still keeping hotels busy??), it’s got to be the most generous system going .... even people from Nigeria are making the trip!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-plan-increase-to-canada-child-benefit-1.4409019

“!Re-elect us because we’re willing to fight you in court for the right to ram a tax down your throats.”

Don't expect the Liberals to ever give up the carbon tax fight

Following the election of Jason Kenney as Premier of Alberta, there are now five provinces against the tax. Together, they represent more than half the population of Canada.

You would think this is not a war the Liberals want to fight, regardless of what the courts rule. Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe has already said he’s going to appeal the ruling. Plus we’ve yet to hear from the Ontario courts on this matter, let alone the Supreme Court of Canada.

As Kenney said the other day and as my colleague Lorne Gunter argued in a column over the weekend, this is really a political fight, not a legal fight. The carbon tax will be defeated, if it is defeated, in the political arena. Perhaps during the October election.

Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna – standing smug and triumphant in front of the cameras following the court ruling announcement last week – clearly has a “bring it on” attitude when it comes to having this fight.

Is that a good idea? “Re-elect us because we’re willing to fight you in court for the right to ram a tax down your throats” is a pretty crazy electoral strategy.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/furey-dont-expect-the-liberals-to-ever-give-up-the-carbon-tax-fight

No punches pulled...the straight facts ! Every Canadian voter should be made to watch this !

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1

Ahhh ..... the cowards way out.....the Crown is dropping the charges against Mark Morman.......after ruining his career, costing him thousands of $$$$ in his defense, and denying him the opportunity to clear his name.... the scum of a man that calls himself the pm didn’t want to be embarrassed again in the upcoming election after the AG released a scathing report on the Refugee Board, Refugees and government services. Hopefully, the defense will file a lawsuit for damages.

Why am I surprised?

(And if the turd tries to say the prosecutor is independent from the pmo, he forgets what snc/lavalin proved. We have a new attorney general to protect the pm and do his bidding).

• Thanks 2

https://www.theprogress.com/news/crown-drops-breach-of-trust-case-against-vice-admiral-mark-norman/

A vindicated Vice-Admiral Mark Norman left an Ottawa courtroom freed from criminal allegations and vowing to return to duty Wednesday after federal Crown prosecutors stayed their breach-of-trust case against the military’s former second-in-command.

“I look forward to my immediate reinstatement and a return to serving Canada, something that I have done unfailingly for 38 years, something that Canadians should expect and demand,” he said in a news conference two hours after Crown prosecutors went into court to call a halt to his criminal case.

He also said he has “an important story to tell that Canadians will want and need to hear.”

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the government will cover Norman’s legal fees — something Norman appeared not to know until a reporter pointed it out.

“Wow,” he replied. “OK.”

A nice summary of events in the VA Norman debacle from a former Liberal:

Justin Trudeau — who, angelic visage notwithstanding, is a vengeful and petty little man — went after Norman, viciously......

“By all appearances,” one of Norman’s lawyers told the trial judge in February, “this is a more direct influencing of the prosecution … the Prime Minister’s Office, via its right arm the PCO, is dealing directly with the PPSC (Public Prosecution Service of Canada). And the prosecution service is allowing this to happen.”

The presiding judge was not impressed. “So much for the independence of the PPSC,” declared Judge Heather Perkins-McVey.

And, it was at that moment that many of us knew that Norman’s trial — scheduled for August, just weeks before the election writs were going to drop — was never going to happen. In open court, a senior judge had taken note of political interference by Trudeau’s PMO and PCO. And, at that point, for Trudeau and his winged monkeys, it became crucial that the trial never be allowed to happen.......

After LavScam — and after the attempted show trial of Norman — we can now be left with only one conclusion:

This is the most corrupt federal government in Canada’s history.

And they must — must — be defeated.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-trudeau-government-trying-to-cover-its-tracks

• Thanks 1