Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

On the Way to the 2019 Federal Election

Absolutely!

If Scheer wins, could they try to trip him up with bogus Mueller-like probes?

One of the more headline grabbing quotes out of the Mueller report is what U.S. President Donald Trump apparently said two years ago when he learned Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had appointed a special counsel in the first place.

“This is the end of my presidency,” Trump said. “I’m f—ed.”

There has been a lot of glee from Trump’s opponents at these lines, taking them to mean some sort of admission of guilt on the part of the president.

But here’s the broader quote: “Oh my God. This is terrible. This is the end of my Presidency. I’m f—ed… Everyone tells me if you get one of these independent counsels it ruins your presidency. It takes years and years and I won’t be able to do anything.”Trump’s not admitting defeat. He’s complaining about abuse by process. He’s worried that the special counsel would suck up all of the oxygen in the room and make it difficult to proceed with his mandate. And he has been proven largely right.

It was always an absurd idea in the first place that Trump was in serious collusion with Russia to undermine American democracy. But it was an argument that the Democrats desperately clung to as their way of rationalizing how Hillary Clinton lost. The Mueller probe meant they didn’t have to come to terms with the fact Trump won fair and square, but could instead spend four years arguing his presidency was inauthentic.

Could we see something similar happen here in Canada? If Andrew Scheer becomes prime minister in October, will the Liberals or the broader progressive movement and their like-minded allies in the media attempt to perpetuate a similar fraud and find some cheap excuse to delegitimize his government?

Some of the issues the Liberals have been obsessed with in recent months suggest they may be thinking along these lines. Like how they go on and on about “disinformation,” which can be used to undermine news and opinion that doesn’t portray the government in a favourable light.

Or how they’ve been, according to Liberal sources quoted in the Toronto Star, “seized with the issue of social media regulation for some time.” There is something deeply troubling about a government calling to clamp down on social media platforms just months before an election.

And then there are the below-the-belt attempts to link Scheer and the Conservatives to white supremacists, clearly a wholesale attempt to smear his character.

These are, of course, more about stopping people from voting Conservative before the election. But it’s not hard to picture these arguments being repurposed if the Conservatives do win.

I’ve spoken to a number of Conservative strategists about this issue in recent weeks and their opinions are divided. Some are very concerned, others think it’s unlikely.

What would this look like in practice though? We could see calls from the Liberals (and NDP) for Parliamentary committee probes into whether disinformation or foreign interference helped Scheer’s victory. We could see private court challenges, such as how the Council of Canadians received a hearing at the federal court level in 2012 to argue reports of robocalls were voter suppression and fraud. Or there could just be general chatter, amplified by the media, that the win was bogus.

It could really go in any direction. And given the distraction techniques we’ve witnessed from the Liberals on the Lavscam file, anything is possible. It’s something to be on guard against, that’s for sure.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/furey-if-scheer-wins-could-they-try-to-trip-him-up-with-bogus-mueller-like-probes

Edited by Jaydee

How The Delusion of Diversity Destroys Our Common Sense:

MUST WATCH !!

Edited by Jaydee

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem !

“ Ontario Proud launches Canada Proud with aim of taking down Trudeau “

TORONTO—The braintrust behind the conservative group that helped to unseat the Ontario Liberals in 2018 has unveiled their federal counterpart aimed at taking out Canada’s Liberal government.

“We want to defeat Liberals all over the country,” Canada Proud founder Jeff Ballingall told iPolitics in an interview.

Ballingall, who is also the founder of the highly effective group Ontario Proud, said that while there’s overlap in people behind the scenes, the two are separate entities. But the pages do share each other’s content.

[READ MORE: With Wynne out, Ontario Proud sets its sights on Trudeau]

Canada Proud, incorporated at the end of March, has a five person board including Ballingall, along with Matthew Burns, Nicolas Christopher Spoke, Catharine Sloan, and Ryan O’Connor. Three of the five (Spoke, Ballingall and O’Connor) also serve on Ontario Proud’s board.

The provincial version of the organization dominated the online world in last year’s Ontario election — to the benefit of Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives and detriment of the Liberals and NDP.

The group creates shareable memes and videos for Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to drive their conservative agenda. Federally, its content focuses on criticizing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the carbon tax and highlighting Liberal missteps and scandals.

The graphics, memes and videos often portray unflattering pictures of the politicians Canada Proud and Ontario Proud are targeting.

“It has a degree of humour and edge to it, so it might offend 70 per cent of the people who see it, but 30 per cent will see it and really like it,” said Lindsay Finneran-Gingras, the vice-president of social and digital for H+K Strategies.

While she said Ballingall has owned traditional media companies and political parties on social platforms, she cautions that Ontario Proud’s success doesn’t guarantee success federally.

“It’s harder in that, the anti-Justin Trudeau rhetoric does have a base, but as you go national, I think that base is a smaller proportion of the overall population,” Finneran-Gingras said.

Still, she said it shouldn’t be dismissed because of the type of content the group uses or because it’s a meme instead of an attack ad with a $2 million media buy.

“If that Facebook shareable gets shared and has some digital paid dollars behind it that can be just as damaging in 2019 as an attack ad 10 years ago.”

The Proud empire also has rivals on the other end of the political spectrum but those groups have amassed a smaller following. For example as of the end of day on Wednesday, Ontario Proud had 429,585 Facebook likes and in only a few weeks Canada Proud has collected 67,150 likes. Compare that to the 136,115 Facebook likes Press Progress has attracted since 2013 and the 88,295 likes North 99 has gained since 2017.

[READ MORE: Ontario Proud’s arrival on federal scene renews fears about third party collusion]

A Liberal strategist, who was heavily involved in the provincial election, says Canada Proud should be taken “very seriously” on the federal stage.

“It served as a very effective base motivator for the PCs,” Omar Yar Khan, also with H+K Strategies, said in an interview.

“Conservatives, and Canada Proud in particular, are very, very skillful at getting Conservative voters riled up and to the polls,” he said.

According to Ballingall, during the provincial election last year, Ontario Proud had more than 63 million Facebook impressions, more than 2 million Twitter impressions, and sent over one million text messages and made 2.5 million calls.

Ontario Proud, which started as a grassroots campaign in 2016, raised $459,000 in corporate donations between May and September of last year. On top of the group’s social media work, they also ran phone banks, petitions, and flyer and sign campaigns.

Ballingall said Canada Proud recently started ramping up its federal campaign. For example, a video the group made about Omar Khadr has been viewed 1.2 million times since the weekend. And, he said, a petition for Trudeau to resign has amassed more than 80,000 signatures.

The petition is a “great way to collect information and reach people,” Ballingall said, explaining how the group works. “We have all of their email addresses and postal codes so we can see where our message is resonating.”

According to Elections Canada, under the new voting rules, Canada Proud’s pre-writ spending will be capped at $1,023,400 from June to September and $511,700 once the campaign begins.

Federal rules don’t prevent unions and corporations from donating to third parties, but they are prohibited from using foreign funds for election advertising.

Speaking to iPolitics from Alberta, Ballingall said he was travelling to meet with prospective donors.

“There’s a huge appetite,” he said. “We’re raising tons of money from small donors online, big donors are coming on board again, so I think it’s going to be an interesting election and I think there’s a lot of people with a strong appetite for change.”

To meet the challenge that Canada Proud presents, Khan said progressives need to hone their communication skills so they can compete more effectively.

“They target their messages to the emotional side of the brain,” he said about Canada Proud. “One of the things that Liberals, federally and provincially, have to be cognizant of is we tend to default towards rational arguments and, in elections particularly, rational arguments are important but you also have to make that emotional argument.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/04/25/ontario-proud-launches-canada-proud-with-aim-of-taking-down-trudeau/

Edited by Jaydee

I’m on the Bill C-69 committee — and I’m hearing a lot of angry Canadians

The testimony we are hearing is seriously troubling

Two weeks ago, our committee travelled to Western Canada and held over 30 hours of public hearings in Vancouver, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon and Winnipeg, and heard from over 100 witnesses. Similar to our meetings in Ottawa, the testimony we are hearing is seriously troubling. Behind the Liberal talking points and catchy media sound bites are angry Canadians worried about the state of our country and the impact of this bill.

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/im-on-the-bill-c-69-committee-and-im-hearing-a-lot-of-angry-canadians

Letter to my boss

I have enjoyed working here these past several years.  You have paid me very well and given me benefits beyond belief.  Have 3-4 months off per year and a pension plan that will pay my salary till the day I die and then pay my estate one year salary death bonus and then continue to pay my spouse my salary with increases until she or he dies along with a health plan that most people can only dream of having.Despite this, I plan to take the next 12-18 months to find a new position.  During this time I will show up for work when it is convenient for me.  In addition, I fully expect to draw my full salary and all the other perks associated with my current job. Oh yes, if my search for this new job proves fruitless, I will be coming back with no loss in pay or status.  Before you say anything, remember that you have no choice in this matter.  I can, and I will do this. 

Sincerely,

Every Member of Parliament running for re-election

The latest...Conservative lead just increased 3 %

” The Conservatives now lead in every region of the country except Quebec, where the Liberals have lost support but still hold the lead. Ontario, British Columbia and Atlantic Canada remain close races between the Liberals and Conservatives. The New Democrats are on track to lose most or all of their seats in Quebec, while the Greens are holding double-digits in Atlantic Canada and B.C.”

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada

7D3F32F8-AC52-4E6E-B41B-2465545F4AF5.png

Edited by Jaydee

Maybe a close Minority Conservative government would be the thing that triggers a move back to the center.  I am not holding my breath but the wackjobs on the far left and far right are the ones making a mess.  This country need some sanity somewhere in the middle.

If we don’t see a concise move to the right, I see nothing but chaos for another 4 years.

Canada needs stability.

Canada needs positive direction which has been sorely lacking under Trudeau.

Canada needs a shift back to common sense.

Canada needs an end to the identity politics of Trudeau.

Pandering to the NDP or heaven forbid the Green in a minority government would be disastrous.

One only has to look no further than B.C to see what happens when a minority rules.

Edited by Jaydee

Canada needs a return to a positive business environment.... whether the current government likes it or not, resource development is/was a major part  of our economy, and bill c 69 will effectively kill it. The clean green tech sector does not happen overnight, nor does government meddling work. Look no further than the provincial Libs in Ontario and the GEA.

And Justin thought the Lavalin affair was behind him:

The list of names, compiled in 2016 by federal investigators probing political party donations and leaked to CBC's The Fifth Estate and Radio-Canada's Enquête, raises new questions about an agreement by the Commissioner of Canada Elections not to prosecute the company.

The federal Liberals were sent the list in a letter marked "confidential" from the Commissioner of Canada Elections — the investigative branch of Elections Canada — on Aug. 5, 2016. But for nearly three years, neither Elections Canada nor the Liberal Party shared that information publicly.

The illicit SNC-Lavalin operation went undetected for nearly a decade. Despite the evidence collected by investigators, the Commissioner of Canada Elections decided not to bring charges against the company, which is headquartered in Montreal but operates around the world.

"We know that the decisions to take part in this scheme took place at the very highest levels of SNC-Lavalin," said Ayotte. "'[It] seems to all suggest to me that there should have been a prosecution."

The Commissioner of Canada Elections sent the letter to the Liberal Party in 2016 in order to have the $110,000 in improper donations returned to the federal treasury.

The Liberal Party repeatedly refused to provide the names of those involved when asked by reporters for CBC/Radio-Canada. The Conservative Party, which received $8,187.73 in the same scheme, immediately provided its list of SNC-Lavalin names to CBC/Radio-Canada when asked.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/snc-lavalin-liberal-donors-list-canada-elections-1.5114537

17 hours ago, st27 said:

And Justin thought the Lavalin affair was behind him:

I'm pretty sure it will all trickle out over time and become a "who knew what when saga" leaving the Conservatives with much to answer for as well. Wait until we hear about the activities SNC was actually financing in Libya and what the PMO knew about those activities even as they pushed for a deferred prosecution. That's the real issue here IMO. 

Bribery has such a nice sanitized ring to it... this is a CBC story, what they aren't admitting is that their correspondents paid bribes too for access to areas and people they would not have otherwise gotten. In like manner (who knew what and when), the PC's would be wise to show a bit of humility too.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-snc-haunts-us-still-on-steel-and-trade-with-china

"Then there was the revelation that the government is refusing to release anything from the 55 page submission from SNC-Lavalin to the Public Prosecution Service of Canada due to “commercial sensitivity.”

Edited by Wolfhunter

2 minutes ago, st27 said:

From the former President of the Liberal Party of Canada:

“ The prime minister’s desperate and false accusation that Liberal opponents are bigots can only divide Canadians in the ugliest way “

“ In this edition of Comment Nation, Stephen LeDrew says Justin Trudeau has resorted to one of the most despicable, yet tried and true, political ploys to stay in power: accusing his opposition of sowing fears of hatred and extremism.

“In a recent speech, Mr. Trudeau accused Conservative leader Andrew Scheer of failing ‘to call out alt-right conspiracy theories’ and proudly speaking ‘at the same rallies as white nationalists.’

The allegations have no basis whatsoever in fact. They are lies meant to divide Canadians. Trudeau wants to make it seem like only the Liberals are moral, and the Conservatives are deplorable.”

Canadians aren’t buying Trudeau’s fear mongering!

Hot off the press!

Probability of winning

38%
Probability of the Conservatives winning a majority
34%
Probability of the Conservatives winning the most seats but not a majority
21%
Probability of the Liberals winning the most seats but not a majority
7%
Probability of the Liberals winning a majority

CC9BA1C8-EDD1-47EA-96D3-20CB0BA881AE.png

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

EC606898-4EE5-492A-95F8-BF7634CF9FAF.jpeg

NO.... 

$100 represents a portion of my income therefore the portion allocated to fuel must also be reduced by the same factory to maintain the correct ratio.  so just NO.

These are the stupid memes I was talking about on another post.  factually inaccurate designed to provoke an emotional response.

I disagree, everything in this meme is factually true. With that $100 you got a true value of $29 worth of fuel, the government got the rest in one way or another.

How you decide to interpret it is up to you

Edited by Jaydee

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

I disagree

Me too.

Thats 8 hours of work at $12 an hour and tax is imposed on the tax. In short, you paid about $9 an hour in tax and you haven't even taken a bite of your sandwich yet. This is exactly how the poor get poorer. Try it.... you might as well stay home.

Sunshine is sunshine, wind is wind, rain is rain and tax is tax. At $12 an hour, you get to enjoy all of it and you will probably hurt your back in the process.... thats a 5 hour wait at out patients after work BTW and tomorrow, you get to do it again.

Now, you need 4 new tires to pass the government imposed safety check so you can drive back to work tomorrow.... your truck took a beating driving on the roads that never seem to get repaired. Food, rent, medicine or tires.... pick one (and only one).

Edited by Wolfhunter

so for every $100 you earn you spend $67 on fuel?  67% of your income is spent on fuel?  really.  Time to find another hobby.

ME for every $100 I earn I spend between $3 and $7 on fuel.  Thats a better ratio.  so worst case I spent $3 on gas tax. now granted I pay more than 33% income tax but still the meme is out of whack.

Sot the government gets just over 40% for me in this case.  However they do get 13% of the remaining  money should I choose to spend it for HST

Now if we are talking about a $12/hr worker thats about $24k / year. Taxes are not payable on the first $16k (not sure of the exact number) which leaves the taxes only payable on $8K So again that brings the number down significantly  in fact the government will only tax you at about 15% which is one half of the claim in the meme.  yes your marginal tax rate is about 32% but your average tax rate would be 15%.

So you see how an over simplified and incorrect meme can change a perspective.

To me, the example reflected how the spending of $100 of earned income was affected in their fuel purchase.  I did not interpret it to mean your entire income. Sometimes you have to read between the lines and not take every little word literally.

Like I said...how you interpret it is up to you.