Fly Jamaica Crash Lands....(.enroute To YYZ)

Kip Powick

Guyana plane crash: Fly Jamaica passengers injured after jet overshoots runway

The Canada-bound plane was forced to return to Cheddi Jagan International Airport after experiencing technical problems

•  

2_Fly-Jamaica.jpgPassengers were injured as the jet ran off the runway (Image: Cheddi Jagan ariport)

A Fly Jamaica plane has made an emergency landing in Guyana and overshot the runway, according to reports, leaving passengers injured.

Dramatic images show the Boeing 757-200, which was departing for Toronto in Canada, after the crash landing.

One of its wings and the engine were torn from the fuselage.

There were 118 passengers on board, according to reports.

According to the Guyana Guardian, the plane was in the air for 18 minutes before experiencing 'technical issues' with the aircraft.

This forced him to return to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport

It has been reported that the brakes of the plane failed, and an investigation has been launched.

0_FlyJamaica-757-en-route-to-Toronto-ret
The plane was reportedly 18 minutes into its flight when it experienced technical difficulties (Image: Twitter)
Dramatic pictures show the damage suffered by the plane (Image: Twitter)
An investigation into the crash is underway (Image: Twitter)

Transportation Minister David Patterson said, NDTV reports, that six people were injured.

He stated: "They are all stable and are being looked at. There were no reports of broken bones."

Among the passengers were 82 Canadians, it has been reported.

A statement from the airline said: "We can confirm that Fly Jamaica flight OJ256 bound for Toronto has returned to Georgetown with a technical problem and has suffered an accident on landing.

0_Fly-Jamaica-plane-crash-map.jpg
Six people were injured when the plane crashed, officials confirmed
Several passengers onboard the plane were reportedly injured (Image: Twitter)
0_Cheddi-Jagan-airport.jpg
The plane crashed down at the Cheddi Jagan Airport

"At this time, we believe that all 118 passengers and eight crew members are safe.

"We are providing local assistance and will release further information as soon as it is available."

The flight departed at 2.10am local time - 6.10am in the UK.

A hydraulic problem has been blamed for the crash.oment boy, 15, knifed

46 minutes ago, Moon The Loon said:

I've been to that field. It is only 4,200' long with no apparent stopways, elevation 8' ASL. There must have been some incredible hydraulic problems that would convince the crew to risk such an overweight, no brakes return. Thankfully, no fatalities.

I think you will find  runway 06/24  close to 7500 feet. Supposed to be extended to over 10,000 feet by the end of the year.

I don’t understand why their hydraulic system problem required an immediate return and landing.

However if it was a loss of both left and right systems it is a serious issue and creates a long list of inop items. But you can still fly. 

Inop list: L/R Autopilot, auto speed brakes, both reverse thrust, normal brakes, alternate brakes, nose wheel steering, flaps/slats and landing gear operation. 

From the photos, the nose gear doors are open which tells me they had to do an alternate gear extension, and the flaps appear to be F20 which would have used the alternate flap system for extension. Landing speeds are high. Use Flap20 & Vref 30+20.  

The 757 wasn’t designed with a fuel jettison system because it can return and land at any weight. But you will need longer runway for your situation. 

A careful landing distance calculation would have determined the required length which a weight reduction (burn off/no fuel dump) would have reduced substantially. Or divert to another airport/longer runway.

From Boeing’s NNC landing distance at 86,000 kgs. with no corrections it is 5300’ and increases by 75’ for every extra 2000 kgs. I think for a long flight (6hrs) to YYZ and the number of passengers it was probably at a much higher weight.

Turning off the runway before the end (if that’s what they did) probably saved lives so I’d say they were close to having enough pavement. 

Fortunately no serious injuries. The airplane may be repairable but probably not worth it due to its age. 

I would also want to find out when the hydraulic systems were last serviced. It’s a very realiable design if everything is closed up properly.

4 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

I've been to that field. It is only 4,200' long with no apparent stopways, elevation 8' ASL. There must have been some incredible hydraulic problems that would convince the crew to risk such an overweight, no brakes return. Thankfully, no fatalities.

Dohh. The incorrect field showed up on my Google  Earth. Kip is correct about the runway length.

Guyana airport rescue workers charged with theft. 

No excuse but some of these countries have very low paid workers. Had a credit card removed my wallet which was inside my flight bag placed next to my seat during a POP turn. Card went on holidays without me.

A few years later in PUJ during a vacation my debit card was scanned and again went shopping without me.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/11/13/8-firemen-arrested-after-cash-items-stolen-from-crashed-plane-in-guyana-report/

Archived