Crews incorrectly select

8 minutes ago, blues deville said:

It was an optional item on the 757 and 767. On the FO’s side if not installed there would be a cover plate. 

Thank you...I don't remember seeing it on some of ACs 767. All the A310s with WD had a NW tiller on both sides.

I haven’t had an SOP where the FO has taxied the aircraft (A319/320, B757/767/777) other than perhaps exiting a runway on a high speed taxiway. The unused tiller on the FO’s side has caused a momentary problem on a couple of occasions with a clip board or mike cord getting in the way but never an issue.

Airbus seems to be consistent on their flight deck configs compared to Boeing who will modify almost any item to meet customer requests. Southwest is a good example of that with the 737 evolution or lack of it.

I was offered to take the aircraft to position once in 8 years as FO on the 67.

Having said that....as a captain, I take pride in taxing the a/c as to give the smoothest ride possible...min thrust,slowing the a/c over known rough taxiways, min braking, arriving at gate without the lurch etc. So I do agree with the sops. (My personal call is to let the FO steer the a/c on to the taxiway, allowing for a gradual transition. It used to annoy me, when after a smooth touchdown, the ca. would yell “I got it” at 80 knots and jam on the brakes, full reverse to make the first taxiway).

Also, if there ever was a ground incident, it solves the problem of responsibility.

Archived