Calgary Olympic bid or not

Both Major Canadian Airlines along with "Eddie the Eagle",  have come out supporting the possible YYC bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics.  None of them have any skin the game as far as what happens if there is a major loss from hosting the Olympics.  Both airlines on the other hand hope to make additional money during the events.  It appears to me that the only winners may indeed be WestJet and Air Canada but not the tax payers in Calgary if the games do go on. 

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-proudly-flies-the-flag-in-support-of-calgarys-bid-for-the-2026-olympic-and-paralympic-winter-games-699650651.html

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/westjet-says-yes-to-calgarys-2026-olympic-and-paralympic-bid-699417951.html

Some Calgarians don’t want to pay (can’t blame them since the Province and the Feds won’t pay for what most believe will be games that go over budget (which they almost all do and which was only cobbled together at the last minute - and short of the initial desired target - even now there are holes in the numbers (like $200m in unavailable insurance policies??)).  

Some are not impressed with the process; the local government and the Bid committee has been accused of not being transparent nor having a solid sense of a financial plan or event plan (if you’ve read anything about the Bid over the past few months you would agree - for example the security budget is half what Vancouver spent 8 yrs ago and they have no where for the Curling events yet (Edmonton?))  

Some  want the games as they believe it’s an effective way to leverage other governments money to refurbish and build things (like a field house for Calgary; note the Bid doesn’t include a new arena to replace the Saddledome) and others think its the economic boost the city needs.

I personally don’t think it will pass, I think the questions and concerns will out vote the spirit and hope. 65/35

But if it did pass, and considering it’s 8 years from now - I wonder which Airline would be the official one. Hmmmm

1 hour ago, internet said:

But if it did pass, and considering it’s 8 years from now - I wonder which Airline would be the official one. Hmmmm

Well, obviously the "official" airline has to be Air Canada - they have "Canada" right there in their name!

19 hours ago, boestar said:

well last time they made a profit so time will tell.

Yah right.

They claim a $170 million profit, but ignore the $270 million grant from the Feds.

By my math 'they' lost $100 million.

Archived