Mid Air Ottawa

st27

Thanks JO.

The report posted by JO seems to indicate the Cessna at least was being maneuvered in the direction of its respective blind-spot.

I haven't looked at stats, but I believe they'd tell us blind maneuvering has been a factor in a number of midairs over the years.

I've flown three single Cessna types. Excepting the C-177, I never felt too comfortable in the 150 & 172 because of the restricted visibility above the aircraft and especially in turns.

13 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

I suspect the faster Cheyenne descended upon the 150 (in the circuit) as why else would the twin's landing gear be extended? The poor fellow in the 150 probably didn't see it coming.

Condolences to his family and friends.

That is the case more often than no in these incidents

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve been the one in a similarly faster aircraft trying to fit in safely at an uncontrolled airport. Especially on weekends, the greatest hazard we faced was the infrequent flyer who couldn’t be bothered to use the radio to broadcast their intentions. 

23 minutes ago, J.O. said:

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve been the one in a similarly faster aircraft trying to fit in safely at an uncontrolled airport. Especially on weekends, the greatest hazard we faced was the infrequent flyer who couldn’t be bothered to use the radio to broadcast their intentions. 

All true Jeff. I have it on good authority that the gentleman at the controls of his owned C150 was a seasoned former commercial pilot and meticulous in his procedures, downsized from his formerly owned aircraft. Regardless, all this is speculation. The radar imagery logs and the testimony of other pilots on the frequency might tell the full (or fuller) story. Truly though, a sad accident for everyone involved.

Archived