Swoop Cancels U.S. Flts Due Lack of Approval

deicer

Subject to the availability of customs facilities and slot restrictions at a few airports I thought that Canadian and US carriers were free to operate any transborder services they chose.  What is the hiccup here?  

“We apologize to our travellers for this inconvenience and for the disappointment they have expressed. We are focused on doing what is right and are working directly with affected travellers to provide options including rebooking on an alternate flight or providing full refunds and compensation.”

look.gif.81c1f7eae2828e4e85887ce77b52768f.gif

Must be a new hire making that statement or are passengers not called "guests on Swoop???"

2 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

“We apologize to our travellers for this inconvenience and for the disappointment they have expressed. We are focused on doing what is right and are working directly with affected travellers to provide options including rebooking on an alternate flight or providing full refunds and compensation.”

Must be a new hire making that statement or are passengers not called "guests on Swoop???"

They are called "travellers" by Swoop.

5 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Subject to the availability of customs facilities and slot restrictions at a few airports I thought that Canadian and US carriers were free to operate any transborder services they chose.  What is the hiccup here?  

I'm going to go with short-staffing in the Office of International Aviation.

15 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Swoop is a new airline. 

They still need the required FAA approvals to operate into the US.

Once approved it's open skies.

Seems pretty amateur that they wouldn't have this taken care of ahead of time, before they started selling the tickets. 

Swoop should be rebooking all the affected people on other airlines, or wet leading replacements for every flight cancelled... not making excuses and giving refunds.

Where's Gabor when there is a real complaint to raise?

Kinda bush league no ????

Aren't these the types of things that are dealt with first, before you start selling tickets ???

Another in a long list of mistakes.

Makes one wonder how they (WJ) plan to become a global carrier ???

57 minutes ago, AIP said:

Aren't these the types of things that are dealt with first, before you start selling tickets ???

I rarely criticize other members comments, but I think that was uncalled for. The people at WestJet have achieved great accomplishments since starting up from nothing, and the coming years will be very exciting. They are well on their way to becoming a global airline. Yes, there will be some stumbles, but who has a perfect record? And no, I don’t work there...

4 hours ago, AIP said:

Hey Aip, we’re going after your lunch again,  this time it’ll be the filet mignon.?I’m sure you’ll be fine though as these people have no idea what they are doing.?

Things happen  but perhaps this was a case where Marketing got away from their (if they have one) Regulatory affairs department and their US Lawyers (again if they have one).

18 hours ago, j.k. said:

Yeah, they totally showed everyone on the Atlantic how to do it with the 767 operation...

Fair enough and I think that's why the 787 launch routes are so conservative.

Well,  it MAY be all of what took place above. But,

Just for a second, let's don some tinfoil and consider the possibility that a new Canadian company was trying to get going in the US market,  competing with US transborder carriers, in the heat of NAFTA and some pretty spikey comments about Canada, Canadians, etc. 

I'm sure more than a few here do business on both sides of the border.  I for one have noticed a significant shift, going both ways, in the attitudes of certain agencies.  Rude would not be too strong a word at times.

Not pointing fingers, Lord knows, but I have to ask myself.  If I was in some internal FAA office where 'make america great again' was being beaten into me at every turn, and this Canadian file showed up, would I expect more cudos for expediting it, or would I be more inclined to give it the scenic tour through the system?

Maybe all just conjecture.  Must have been painful for everyone involved.

Vs

Of course it could also be a classic case of Marketing running with the ball regardless of input from the operating departments and the folks in the Regulatory areas / legal department. 

11 minutes ago, Longranger said:

It’s on the record that the application was made back in June...draw your own conclusions.

June is late, one should always allow at least 6 months plus a pucker factor.  Was that the date for all of the Swoop applications or was there a reliance on the fact that WestJet had prior approvals ?. Remember we are talking about a separate, new airline into the US as a sked carrier.

October 26, 2018 10:39 am
Updated: October 26, 2018 10:50 am

Swoop resuming flights to U.S. after receiving final operating approval

By The Canadian Press

Swoop is resuming all scheduled flights to the U.S. after receiving its final operating approval.

The discount subsidiary of WestJet Airlines says flights that have been cancelled will resume starting Saturday. 

The affected flights were from Hamilton, Ont., and Abbotsford, B.C., to Las Vegas and various cities in Florida. An inaugural flight from Edmonton to Mesa, Ariz., will take off Saturday as originally scheduled.

Swoop apologized to the thousands of travellers who have been inconvenienced since 24 flights were cancelled earlier this month.

READ MORE: Swoop to add flights from Hamilton to Jamaica

It had rebooked travellers on alternate airlines or provided full refunds plus $100 to $200 in compensation per passenger per travelling segment.

Flights between Edmonton and Las Vegas were not affected by the cancellations because Swoop temporarily leased a WestJet aircraft for that route.

Watch below: Gabor Lukacs, the founder of Air Passenger Rights, joins Global News Calgary to explain why his group is launching a complaint to the Canadian Transportation Agency against Calgary-based Swoop Inc. over their fee structure.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4599269/swoop-resuming-flights-to-u-s-after-receiving-final-operating-approval/

Archived