Here's an interesting (more like troubling) observation, now that our leaders have seen fit to extend the Cerb another month:

the Prime Minister’s repeated message that “the government has your back” offered the needed assurance to Canadians that government would help them with their employment and income losses. But the assurance, delivered through the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and other direct payments, has turned into transfers to households totalling $65.3-billion in the first half of this year – 150 per cent of the actual employment income losses of Canadians ($44.6-billion), according to the Department of Finance’s July Economic and Fiscal Snapshot. It is as if an insurer agreed to cover substantially more than the actual losses in the case of an accident – something that runs counter to basic principles.

However, that is what CERB and other transfers do. If workers can earn more income staying home safely, there is no economic incentive to rejoin the work force. Moreover, if the perception sets in that government can insure them against all risks all the time, the behavioural response may be resistance to change, including training for new or better jobs. To counter this moral hazard, programs should pivot from solely supporting income to promoting adjustment. This will be an important litmus test for the just announced winding down of the CERB, with changes to eligibility rules to Employment Insurance and new income support measures.

Justin is falling into the old trap......

”We’re so rich, we have money we haven’t even borrowed yet!”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadians-risk-becoming-addicted-to-pandemic-aid/

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

re: our hard working MPs spending a socially distanced paddle on the Rideau Canal......considering the current government has a anti-oil agenda.....nice to see they are floating in plastic kayaks cour

I have no faith, despite their moral outrage of the liberal coverup and philibustering, Jagmeet will take the bait on the election threat and  will make a deal with trudeau to muzzle the committees.

Nope.  Any business that rides the "black-owned" declaration is not innocent.  You understand the difference, right?  I'm not opposed to a black owned business, I'm opposed to a black owned business t

Posted Images

" This may have been Justin Trudeau’s worst week since he became prime minister — and that’s saying something.

The week started when Trudeau clearly fired his most qualified and experienced cabinet minister Bill Morneau, although we were told it was a resignation that had nothing to do with the giant dumpster fire inside the PMO.

He then appointed a former journalist to the most serious and important post in government. Journalists can be incredibly competent people, but Chrystia Freeland was not a financial writer nor an investigative reporter — she wrote fawning profiles about powerful men, and when she was given the chance to run part of the business side of a news organization, she bankrupted the project.

Freeland is very smart, no doubt about it, but she doesn’t seem to be very good with money. At age 45 — when she returned to Canada to run for office after mostly living abroad since she was a teenager — she needed her parents to co-sign her mortgage.  She bungled her very first press conference as finance minister, bizarrely announcing that she was going to “decarbonize” the economy — a concept thoroughly rebuked in a recent column by my colleague Lorrie Goldstein."

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/malcolm-trudeaus-worst-week

Conservatives ask Canadians for help in combing through WE documents

In a dramatic press conference, Poilievre held up pages of WE documents which had crucial information redacted. These blacked out documents include emails between the Kielburgers, former Finance Minister Bill Morneau, and other government officials in the PMO.

"Why don't we ask what's in those pages in a Parliamentary committee?... Justin Trudeau shut down those Parliamentary committees. When did he do it? The same day these documents became public! What a coincidence," stressed an animated Poilievre.

https://thepostmillennial.com/conservatives-ask-canadians-for-help-in-combing-through-we-documents

• Sad 1
51 minutes ago, seeker said:

Convince me he's wrong.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...The greatest threat to Canada's future Is not Justin Trudeau, but the people that voted for him.

12 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again...The greatest threat to Canada's future Is not Justin Trudeau, but the people that voted for him.

It's a chicken and egg problem; if he wasn't there people wouldn't vote for him and if people didn't vote for him he wouldn't be there.

No wonder Trudeau’s approval ratings are up...who doesn’t like “free” money:

OTTAWA – Up to a quarter of the payments that went to Canadians during this pandemic could have gone to people in families with six-figure incomes, says a study from the Fraser Institute.

The study estimates that as much as $22.3 billion may have gone to people who didn’t need it.

The study estimates that a maximum of $11.8 billion in CERB payments could have gone to young people with part-time jobs who are dependents in families with more than $100,000 in annual income.

Clemens said the government could have made relatively simple changes to the application form to weed out people who were dependents and didn’t see a drop in their family income. He said he is confident Finance department officials were aware of this problem, but believes the issues were likely brushed aside.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/up-to-22-billion-in-covid-aid-may-have-gone-to-high-income-canadians-fraser-institute-study

And the boy wonder can’t criticize Harper for benefits to the wealthy anymore:

A senior couple can have an income of nearly $260,000 a year and still partially qualify for OAS.

“I don’t know the rationale to send money to seniors who have household income of up to $260,000,” he said.

The study also targeted the increase to the Canada Child benefit, where they found more than $500 million went to families making more than $100,000.

It’s not like justy  to say “no” when giving out $$$$$...unless you’re a veteran or the military.

I think his personal best (worst??) was tweeting ....

Sorry I can’t be with you - but how about Canada pledges $50M to EduCannotWait to support education for women & girls around the world? Work for you? Let’s do it,” Trudeau tweeted to the South African comedian and “The Daily Show” host.

6 hours ago, Jaydee said:

When the likes of super Liberal Wayne Easter says this:

“It sounds to me like some departments might have gone too far,” Mr. Easter said. ”The will of the committee should have been respected fully and the documents should be released as fully as possible.”

Then you know that there was skulduggery.