Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Justin

We are just starting to make progress toward our accord targets and $30 a ton isn't near enough. Those with an appetite for full compliance should be demanding somewhere between $200 and $300 a ton. Do that and stay the present course and we should have our carbon deficit contained. When compared to "the green new deal," this is but a moderate effort.

Edited by Wolfhunter

31 minutes ago, Fido said:

Canada does NOT have a carbon deficit.

The carbon deficit I refer to is the difference between actual / projected emissions and that required to hit accord targets. The target deficit (that which we owe the accord) is currently about 80 megatons. By way of comparison, our entire agricultural sector produces about 65 MTs.

In other words, the rounds are landing short of the target.

When I refer to it as a target deficit (what we owe the target on a yearly basis), I think I'm being overly kind. Outright fraud and tree hugger lies might be a more accurate way to sum up our efforts prior to the current shutdown. In short, magic lightbulbs and paper straws have a limited effect.... we are doing pretty good now though eh?

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

And the issue becomes more and more obvious with each passing day. 

Political correctness and virtue signalling now require their own ventilators and "instagram influencers" are being openly mocked by their own followers, who previously had mocked those who mocked the same people they mock now.... cool eh? For perhaps the first time, people are now asking the simple question, does this make sense? Opposition parties of all stripes, for the first time in decades, need to beware of partisan politics or face punishment downstream. It's an opportunity for them to shine, most will blow it because partisanship is in their DNA.... by way of example, this will cost CNN and MSNBC dearly IMO.

Now granted, the progress is slow, people who hoarded those wipe things (Lysol and such) are now flushing them down the toilet and causing backups despite warnings to stop, but those consequences are immediate, costly and decidedly unpleasant... another first for many people and a worthwhile exposure to the concept of WDYTWGTH.  So, we're getting there, the oxen may be slow but the earth is patient.

Since I'm making predictions here, I'm a bit surprised that terrorist organizations haven't capitalized on some of the vulnerabilities of systems under stress. That may be coming in the near future. Sometimes simultaneous, unrelated emergencies do happen in the real world... in fact, they are the very essence of good contingency planning and maintaining asset capacity. Whenever you hear someone say "Canada doesn't need X,Y or Z" beware. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

by my (rough) calculation on transportation alone we have reduced somewhere around 16 Mt of CO2 over the last 30 days by virtue of the fact the highways, byways and airways are basically empty.  The transportation sector makes up 28% of Our emissions and we have decreased that by a huge amount over the last month.  Another Month of this and the reduction will be 32Mt.  We are well on our way to meeting our targets now.  Just need to keep this up for a year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boestar said:

Another Month of this and the reduction will be 32Mt.  We are well on our way to meeting our targets now.

Cool, only 48 more Mts to go for the year. Eliminate most agricultural activities and go to $300/ton in carbon taxes and we have it cased. The obsession with plastic straws is sounding pretty silly now eh? The defenders of lunacy have gone quiet...

Perhaps for the first time, people are beginning to see the enormity of the task at hand.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1