Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

All About Justin / The good, the bad and the ugly

Jody Wilson-Raybould was involved in government talks about fate of SNC-Lavalin

Government officials have told The Canadian Press that former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould was involved in government discussions last fall about whether engineering firm SNC-Lavalin should be allowed to avoid criminal prosecution.

Former attorney general of Canada has thus far refused to comment on alleged pressure from PMO

The Canadian Press · Posted: Feb 09, 2019 9:50 AM ET | Last Updated: 31 minutes ago

SNC-Lavalin is at the centre of a political controversy that involves the PMO and the Liberal's former attorney general. (CBC)

Government officials have told The Canadian Press that former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould was involved in government discussions last fall about whether engineering firm SNC-Lavalin should be allowed to avoid criminal prosecution.

They say the discussions were perfectly legal and that the government would have been remiss not to deliberate over the fate of the Quebec giant, given that a prosecution could bankrupt the company, putting thousands of Canadians out of work.

The officials spoke on condition their names not be used.

Wilson-Raybould said Friday she would not comment on claims that the Prime Minister's Office tried to pressure her to help SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution in pending legal action against the construction company.

"As the former minister of justice and attorney general of Canada, I am bound by solicitor-client privilege in this matter," she said.

The lobbyist registry shows representatives of SNC-Lavalin logged more than 50 meetings with federal officials and parliamentarians on subjects that included "justice" and "law enforcement."

The Conservatives and NDP are demanding investigations by a Commons committee and the federal ethics commissioner into allegations Wilson-Raybould was pressured by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's office.

Tory leader Andrew Scheer also suggested Friday morning that his party is looking at pursuing unspecified "legal avenues" if the governing Liberals "continue to cover this up."

The government denies the allegations that surfaced Thursday in a Globe and Mail report, but Wilson-Raybould's continued refusal to comment on the matter has added fuel to the political fire.

SNC has previously been charged with bribery and corruption over its efforts to secure government business in Libya.

story link https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-was-involved-in-government-talks-about-fate-of-snc-lavalin-1.5012849?cmp=rss

February 9, 2019 8:34 am

Roy Green: Jody Wilson-Raybould, this is no time to be a Liberal Party team player

Roy Green By Roy Green Host, Corus Radio Network  Global News

Jody Wilson-Raybould is doubtless raising anxiety levels in the Prime Minister’s Office and with the prime minister himself.

The former federal attorney general is refusing to either sink or protect her prime minister — but it’s clear the days of hugs and mutual admiration tweets are history.

Tension became palpable during public cabinet post reassignments in mid-January and hinted at troubled deeper waters. Much deeper. Wilson-Raybould was unable to mask still-evident shock. Trudeau appeared wooden, almost sullen.

Now, following a report by the Globe and Mail, we have learned what lies behind Wilson-Raybould’s dispatch to what effectively appears to be the federal Liberals’ ministerial gulag, Veterans Affairs (with no disrespect intended to military veterans).

READ MORE: Trudeau says report his office pressed former justice minister to drop SNC-Lavalin prosecution ‘false’

Was the PMO applying pressure on the Attorney General in an attempt to influence the minister to persuade her prosecutors to move away from the pursuit of criminal corruption and fraud prosecution against international and Montreal-based engineering giant SNC-Lavelin, opting instead for remediation.

When Wilson-Raybould pushed back, anonymous sources informed the Globe and Mail, she was effectively pushed out.

During the heady days of Justin Trudeau’s “because it’s 2015” declaration, Wilson-Raybould’s ascension to the role of the nation’s top justice official defined the moment.

MORE: Jody Wilson-Raybould became thorn in Liberals’ side before SNC-Lavalin case

Four years later as an election looms, the Globe and Mail story is a torpedo honing in on the PMO.

If indeed Wilson-Raybould refused to attempt to persuade her prosecutors to drop pursuit of a criminal trial of SNC-Lavalin in favour of a settlement of the charges, the Attorney General became expendable.  Perhaps not entirely, but essentially.

The now-Veterans Affairs Minister has stated attorney-client privilege precludes a public explanation.  What about an MP’s responsibility to be truthful toward the electorate?

As for the PMO, if indeed either the Office or the Prime Minister did indeed attempt to interfere with a criminal matter, an entirely new police investigation may well await.

If you are not willing in principle to pay bribes (Baksheesh) in Libya, I would like to hear an alternate explanation on how to do business there. I'll bet there is more to this than meets the eye.... what was that bribe intended to grease the skids for? Maybe that's the real issue here and not simply a bribe made within the country of bribes, the region of bribes and the continent of bribes.

As the song says, Go Hard or Go Home.

Edited by Wolfhunter

The wrong questions are being asked here.

The answer to did the government meddle is clearly yes. The bigger question is in what and why. What was SNC Lavalin actually doing. Prosecuting them for paying a bribe in Libya is akin to prosecuting a camel for walking on the sand.

Not believing a single word of all this I did a simple google search. Here is an article from 2012 that rings a bit more true with me.... paying bribes in Libya is as common as buying gas for a snowblower in Canada. Media manipulation is overtaking us here and it's not the Russians doing it. 

I'm not suggesting that this has legs, only that there is clearly more to this than meets the eye and the media is not to be trusted. As suggested in another thread, when things make no sense look deeper. The question is not were bribes paid, the question is for what. The answer likely has nothing to do with constructing parking lots or upgrading water lines (or what ever). And this is what JT doesn't want out in the public domain. These questions won't appear on CBC until everyone already knows about it and CBC has no choice but to cover it.

Does anyone still think that ejecting an idiot reporter from the WH (with good reason) is media manipulation? How would it look if at the same time as Canadian Forces were actively involved in OUP Libya operations, a Canadian company (with government ties) was secretly paying to thwart those very efforts? And then, how would it look if a different government conspired to hold the same company blameless on the eve of a federal election.  

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/gary-peters-snc-lavalin

Edited by Wolfhunter

And a Quebec company at that. The governments claim of concerns of job losses (if this prosecution went ahead and sank the co.) is another knife in the back to the oil industry workers in AB and SK.

Justice committee calls emergency meeting

Pressure to open investigation increases

• Vancouver Sun
  • 9 Feb 2019
  • Maura Forrest National Post mforrest@postmedia.com Twitter.com/MauraForrest
img?regionKey=AzIBYk1Bx6Y8UN2%2f5aZ0Gg%3d%3dSEAN KILPATRICK / THE CANADIAN PRESS Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says if they have nothing to hide, the Liberals should OK committee hearings.

IT’S LEGITIMATE FOR US AS CANADIANS TO GET ANSWERS.

OTTAWA • The House of Commons justice committee will hold an emergency meeting next week in the wake of multiple calls for an investigation into allegations that former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould was pressured by the Prime Minister’s Office to help construction giant SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution.

Conservatives and the NDP want Wilson-Raybould and other officials, including senior staff in the PMO, to testify about allegations of political interference. But the Liberal-dominated committee must still vote for a motion to have the officials appear, and even if it does, it’s still unclear that Wilson-Raybould would speak about the case.

A justice committee examination is one of several avenues of investigation being called for in the wake of a Globe and Mail report on Thursday containing allegations from unnamed sources that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office pushed Wilson-Raybould to negotiate a deal with SNC-Lavalin that would have led to a fine instead of a criminal trial.

The company was charged in 2015 with bribing Libyan officials between 2001 and 2011 in exchange for construction contracts. The Post has not independently confirmed the allegations of political interference.

The move comes as The Canadian Press reports that Wilson-Raybould was involved in extensive, internal government discussions last fall about whether SNC-Lavalin should be allowed to avoid criminal prosecution. But government officials said there was nothing wrong with that.

They argued the discussions were all perfectly within the law and the government would have been remiss not to deliberate over the fate of the Quebec engineering and construction giant given that a prosecution could bankrupt the company and put thousands of Canadians out of work.

On Friday morning, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said that if the prime minister has “nothing to hide,” he should have no problem with the committee hearings. “If his MPs vote against a motion and try to cover up what happened, Canadians can only conclude that the reports of political interference are true,” Scheer said.

NDP MP Murray Rankin, co-chair of the justice committee, said the committee chair sent out a notice that a meeting would be held by next Wednesday. A committee study is necessary to “clear the air” around the allegations, he said. “Given past Liberal scandals … I think it’s legitimate for us as Canadians to get answers to this,” Rankin said in an interview, referring to the sponsorship scandal that played a role in the Liberals’ electoral defeat in 2006.

However, Rankin was not optimistic that Wilson-Raybould would answer questions about the case, even if the committee votes in favour of a study, as she was shuffled out of the justice portfolio and named minister of veterans affairs last month, a move widely seen as a demotion. “No minister of the Crown can be compelled to answer for things that happened in their former role,” he said.

Wilson-Raybould has refused to confirm or deny any of the allegations in the report, despite repeated demands from the opposition in the House of Commons on Thursday for her to answer questions.

On Friday, she released a short statement saying she was “bound by solicitorclient privilege in this matter,” though some lawyers were quick to argue that the prime minister could easily waive that privilege if he wanted Wilson-Raybould to speak openly.

Meanwhile, the NDP is also calling for the ethics commissioner to investigate the allegations, as is Ottawabased ethics watchdog Democracy Watch.

NDP MPs Charlie Angus and Nathan Cullen on Friday wrote to ethics commissioner Mario Dion, suggesting the allegations could represent a breach of a provision of the Conflict of Interest Act that prohibits public office holders from giving “preferential treatment to any person or organization.”

“If the prime minister truly believes there is no wrongdoing here, he should invite the ethics commissioner to investigate his office’s dealings with SNC-Lavalin and whether or not that was a factor in the removal of Ms. Wilson-Raybould from her position as attorney general,” NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement.

Democracy Watch suggested other possible violations of the act, including a provision stating elected officials must not use their positions to improperly influence decisions.

There have also been suggestions a criminal investigation might be in order, including from Michael Bryant, Ontario’s former attorney general and now executive director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. Bryant told CTV’s Power Play on Thursday that he “would’ve called 911” if something similar had occurred while he was attorney general.

On Friday, the RCMP said in a statement that the police force was “aware of this matter but will not further comment at this point.”

During question period in the House of Commons on Friday, the opposition homed in on a December meeting between Wilson-Raybould and Gerald Butts, principal secretary to the prime minister, which the PMO has confirmed. A spokesperson for the PMO said in a statement that Wilson-Raybould raised the SNC-Lavalin case with Butts, and he told her to speak with Michael Wernick, the clerk of the privy council.

If everything is so “Above board” , why is the idiot so afraid of an inquiry??

“ Liberals to block opposition attempt to probe SNC-Lavalin affair “

OTTAWA—The Liberal government appears likely to block opposition efforts to probe allegations of political interference in the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin, while insisting that discussions on the matter with former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould were above board.

if you subscribe to the Trudeau Star here is a link >>>>

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/02/09/liberals-to-block-opposition-attempt-to-probe-snc-lavalin-affair.html

Edited by Jaydee

It's fun to watch what both sides are not saying..... this has the potential to make both the Harper and Trudeau governments look very bad indeed. The longer they both stand on this course the more I don't believe a word of it. I fully expect that bribes were paid, I fully expect that government interfered and I fully expect that the conservatives did as well. Both sides are fixated on the obvious givens and there be not a word about what the bribes attempted to secure in return. As far as both are concerned, I'm now willing to bet that OUP Libya is he who's name must not be spoken.

Edited by Wolfhunter

TRUDEAU IS HIS OWN JUDGE AND JURY...WHAT ABSOLUTE BS !

THE PRIME MINISTER HAS SAID, THE PRIME MINISTER HAS SAID, THE PRIME MINISTER HAS SAID, THE PRIME MINISTER HAS SAID.  Etc etc etc

The title of this topic allows room for comment about the "Good", still awaiting the influx of posts from Loyal Liberals.  🙃

Interesting watching lametti squirm in the Evan Solomon interview from the above link....as was later pointed out in the scrum, Trudeau’s was correct in denying the accusations....accusations that were never made by Bob Fife. ie that the pmo directed the justice minister.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

The title of this topic allows room for comment about the "Good", still awaiting the influx of posts from Loyal Liberals.  🙃

On the plus side, he is predictable and has stayed the course of this predictability when others would have lacked the resolve. The best example here is the safe third country agreement/illegal border crossers.... a courageous position even if I completely disagree with every board and every nail of his platform.

It can easily be argued that we got exactly what we voted for.

You give justy too much credit...courageous or just crass opportunism for political gain??

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

On the plus side, he is predictable and has stayed the course of this predictability when others would have lacked the resolve. The best example here is the safe third country agreement/illegal border crossers.... a courageous position even if I completely disagree with every board and every nail of his platform.

It can easily be argued that we got exactly what we voted for.

at least what less than 40% voted for. 😀  You have to wonder what if we had only a 2 party system and the 60% who didn't vote Liberal  ……….. I guess we will never know.

Conservatives take a page from the Liberal play book, all the while not knowing what really happened even though what really happened actually really happened on their watch. I don't care about what the PM said because I already have a pretty good idea, I want to know what the bribes were for and who did what in Libya while OUP was ongoing. In other words the second cover up is less important to me than what the first coverup is actually covering. This will be multi-layered and the Conservatives are unlikely to like what they find several layers down. Hopefully the PPC can find its voice as the new Conservatives (under Scheer) are simply the old Liberals and unworthy of support IMO.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/guest-column-andrew-scheer-wonders-what-trudeau-hiding-in-snc-lavalin-affair

Edited by Wolfhunter

I was travelling between Toronto and Hamilton the other day when a tire blew out. Checking my spare, I found that it too was flat. My only option was to flag down a passing motorist and get a ride to the next
town.

The first vehicle to stop was an old man in a van. He yelled out the window, "Need a lift?"

"Yes, I sure do," I replied.

"You a Liberal or Conservative," asked the old man. “Conservative," I replied.

"Well, you can just go to Hell," yelled the old man as he sped off.

Another guy stopped, rolled down the window, and asked me the same question.

Again, I gave the same answer, “Conservative." The driver gave me the finger and drove off.

I thought it over and decided that maybe I should change my strategy, since this area seemed to be overly political and there appeared to be very few Conservatives.

The next car to stop was a red convertible driven by a beautiful blonde. She smiled seductively and asked if I was a Liberal or Conservative.

"Liberal" I shouted.

"Hop in!" replied the blonde.

Driving down the road, I couldn't help but stare at the gorgeous woman in the seat next to me, the wind blowing through her hair, perfect
breasts, and a short skirt that continued to ride higher and higher up her thighs.

Finally, I yelled, "Please stop the car; I have to get out."

She immediately slammed on the brakes and as soon as the car stopped, I jumped out.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"I can't take it anymore," I replied. "I've only been a Liberal for five minutes and already I want to screw somebody!"

10 hours ago, st27 said:

Interesting watching lametti squirm in the Evan Solomon interview from the above link....as was later pointed out in the scrum, Trudeau’s was correct in denying the accusations....accusations that were never made by Bob Fife. ie that the pmo directed the justice minister.

E6743668-B0F8-43AE-9622-FA969E503F85.jpeg

Another posting by Jody Wilson’s Dad.

” "THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES" - JODY was demoted because she would not "play ball" with the Big Boys who run the Liberal Party. Big industry & jobs threatened by honesty and integrity? Where have I heard this before? Mining, bad logging & fish farms perhaps! - Buried in the controversy are the 4 speeches that JODY made briefly calling in to question Trudeau's sincerity about RECONCILIATION, which has been a FARCE from the outset. This farce continues to cover up the MISERY INDUSTRY run by DIA, lawyers, consultants, facilitators, the churches, healers and the "service" groups which are aided & abetted by the DIA chiefs, AFN, Summit, UBCIC and the other Indians seeking White approval. - Less than 10% of any federal $$ ever gets to the Indians. - “

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

DIA, lawyers, consultants, facilitators, the churches, healers and the "service" groups which are aided & abetted by the DIA chiefs, AFN, Summit, UBCIC and the other Indians seeking White approval.

Did he leave anyone out before boiling it all down to race?

Completely unable to focus on the task at hand, unable to slay one dragon at a time, unable to seize and maintaining the initiative, unable to consolidate, and unable to bring the concentration of forces to bear.... must be a Liberal. Even given tanks to aid their cause they resort to throwing excrement.... go hard or go home.   

Edited by Wolfhunter

APPLY TRANSPARENCY VOW TO SNC-LAVALIN CASE, MR. PM

Waiving privilege only way to absolve PM, Liberal Party of wrongdoing in bribery allegations, writes Andrew Scheer.

• Calgary Herald
  • 11 Feb 2019
  • Andrew Scheer is the leader of Conservative Party of Canada and MP for Regina-Qu’Appelle.
img?regionKey=pbynEfsbfJiaVSjlEMnI%2bQ%3d%3dADRIAN WyLD/ THE CANADIAN PRESS Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer wants to know what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is trying to hide. He says the longer Trudeau and his government avoids accountability, the more it looks like he is covering up the truth.

“One of the most important things about my approach in politics has been creating a level of accountability, of transparency, of openness, of honesty that means admitting when mistakes were made, taking responsibility for them, and fixing them in an open manner.”

Justin Trudeau spoke those words five years ago — setting the tone for what he pitched to Canadians as a new way of doing politics.

“Openness and transparency will be our constant companions, and we will work to restore Canadians’ trust in their government and in our democracy.”

He said that when he was sworn in as prime minister.

Canadians took this prime minister at his word. They trusted him to be who he said he would be. And he has betrayed them.

The allegations levelled last week against Justin Trudeau and his office are grievous and strike at the very heart of our rule of law.

SNC-Lavalin, one of the Liberal Party of Canada’s largest corporate backers, is being prosecuted on charges of bribery. For the last three years, the company has aggressively lobbied key government officials for a special deal that would see it avoid criminal prosecution.

The government responded last year, when it wedged into the budget bill a new legal provision that would give SNC-Lavalin exactly what it wanted.

The use of that provision is at the discretion of the Director of Public Prosecutions and, last October, that office informed SNC-Lavalin no special deal was coming.

That should have been the end of it. It was only the beginning.

Unhappy with that result, the Prime Minister’s Office allegedly pressured the attorney general to overrule due legal process by granting this Liberal-friendly corporate giant the special deal it had long sought and then firing her when she courageously refused to do so.

(Canadians owe Jody Wilson-Raybould a debt of gratitude for holding true to her principles and protecting the rule of law when her political masters implored her to abandon it.)

The level of corruption implied is staggering.

Since these allegations were published, Parliament has sought answers. For two days, MPs on all sides of the house grilled the government’s front bench in question period (Mr. Trudeau was curiously absent). For two days, we got nothing.

So we took the next step. We have forced an emergency meeting of the justice committee to vote on a motion calling on nine key government officials to testify before all Canadians about what happened in this case. That meeting will take place this week, but the government has already indicated it will block this attempt at transparency.

Ms. Wilson-Raybould has claimed solicitor-client privilege prevents her from disclosing the advice she gave to the government in the SNC-Lavalin matter. So I personally wrote to Mr. Trudeau demanding he waive that privilege, as prime ministers both Liberal and Conservative have done in the past when Canadians demanded answers on matters of ethics and public confidence.

However, given the stonewall treatment we’ve encountered thus far, his blithe contempt for past pledges of transparency, and the willingness of his new Attorney General to protect him, I’m not optimistic he will do so.

Which naturally begs the question of what Mr. Trudeau is trying to hide. In his only public statement on the matter, he repeated a carefully crafted and legally vetted line which, in essence, claimed his innocence in the matter.

If he is innocent, if Mr. Trudeau is indeed telling the truth, waiving privilege and having his officials testify at committee would surely absolve him and his office of any wrongdoing.

The longer he and his government avoid accountability, the more it looks like he is covering up the truth.

Trudeau the candidate was a relentless cheerleader for openness and accountability, promising a whole new era of open government to win votes.

On this, Trudeau the prime minister has become a fraud. He is now on the run, trying his best to avoid the very things he once promised to champion.

I will not let him get away with this.

If he shuts down Parliamentarians, as it appears he will, I will use every possible political, legal, and investigative option to get the answers Canadians demand.

One way or another, he will be held to account.