The New Bearded ones

Air Canada pilots get permission to wear beards

Pilots have always been the smooth-faced operators of the air, but a recent study from SFU debunked the myth that respirators need a hair free surface to work effectively.

Researchers at SFU proved that respirator masks work effectively on bearded faces

Anna Dimoff · CBC News · Posted: Sep 14, 2018 5:28 PM PT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Air Canada pilots were previously required to be clean shaven, but a study conducted by researchers at SFU proved certain respirators work on bearded faces, causing the airline to change its policy. (Clement Sabourin/Getty Images)

Pilots have always been the smooth-faced operators of the air, but a recent study from SFU debunked the myth that respirators need a hair free surface to work effectively.

Air Canada has now changed its policy on facial hair for aircrew to allow neatly trimmed beards with a maximum length of 1.25 centimetres.

Historically, the belief was that in the case of an in-flight emergency, a clean shaven face was necessary to ensure the proper seal of an oxygen-supply mask.

Air Canada commissioned a team from the university to test the efficacy of respirators on bearded pilots after receiving an application from an experienced pilot who is Sikh.

"They were Sikh and were not going to be clean shaven. That brought up the question to Air Canada that is this policy still a valid policy or is it just a carry-over from the old days," said Sherri Ferguson,  director of SFU's Environmental Medicine and Physiology Unit and head of the study.

Ferguson had been contacted a year before they began the study by another Sikh pilot who said his career was being impacted by restrictions on what aircraft he was able to fly because of his beard.

"We had designed how to do this study previously when he had contacted us ... so It was something we had already thought about," she said. 

All they needed was the funding to move forward. So, when the airline contacted them, they began testing right away.

In the fall of 2016, they placed participants with facial hair ranging from stubble to beards grown to waist-length in a chamber where they simulated altitudes from 10,000 to 25,000 feet above sea level.

The men wore two different models of mask supplied by Air Canada while researchers monitored their blood oxygen saturation levels and tested respirators for protection against carbon monoxide or toxic fumes in the case of smoke in the cabin.

"It was 100 per cent success," she said.

"We had no one fail the study, regardless of beard length."

Ferguson is hopeful more research will be done on the topic with a larger group of participants and more mask designs.

"I think it's a start. It's opening the door. We hope to see more research done and be able to allow people for religious reasons who may have longer beards than that, and it's not just a fashion statement, be allowed to progress in their careers," she said.

The Canadian Armed Forces and a smaller carrier, North Cariboo Air, have contacted Ferguson requesting the data to consider changing their own policy.

Not exactly new news.  For the better part of this year, beards have been allowed at Jazz which follows AC’s policies.  I don’t believe the restriction had anything to do with O2 masks.  IIRC, it began when applicants were hired that had beards as a result of their culture.

I know about those studies but in a smoke engulfed cockpit, especially if it's an electrical fire, some of it is going to get through the mask/face seal unless one is on 100%/Emergency (i.e. positive pressure flow). Electrical fire smoke is extremely toxic and can kill in seconds.

I flew as a passenger on Concorde over 20 years ago. I had a visit to the flight deck (pre-9-11). None of the pilots were on oxygen; two of three of the pilots had beards. Their reasoning? Should a rapid or (god forbid) explosive decompression occur at FL 600, they, the pilots were dead. So what's the use of being on oxygen. Now if SOP at the time was to wear a pressure suit, as did SR71 or fighter pilots did, that would be a different story. But they had IMAGE to uphold. So they didn't.

On the other hand (I'm arguing against myself), an electrical fire at FL600 would require the donning of O2. I don't know what their SOP would have been - I'm guessing 100%/Emergency until descending to a suitable altitude to continue the flight/divert.

So, Bearded Ones, continue at your own risk, and the risk of your crew & passengers.

Clean shaven in Ottawa ('cept on my days off...)

MTL

Re beards, many places require certain criteria re the wearing of a respirator following is one. Note the mention of a "fit test".

May 9, 2016

Mr. Matthew Sands
606 F Avenue
Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma 73523

Dear Mr. Sands:

Thank you for your letter to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Your letter has been referred to the Directorate of Enforcement Programs for an answer to your question. Your letter requested clarification on OSHA’s Respiratory Protection standard, 29 CFR 1910.134, which addresses facial hair and respirator fit. This letter constitutes OSHA’s interpretation only of the requirements herein, and may not be applicable to any questions not delineated within your original correspondence. Your paraphrased question and our response is below.

Question: If an employee with a neatly trimmed goatee is wearing a respirator and it does not interfere with the seal of the face piece or valve function, and has passed a fit test, does this meet the intent of the OSHA’s Respiratory Protection standard?

Response: The Respiratory Protection standard, paragraph 29 CFR 1910.134(g)(1)(i)(A), states that respirators shall not be worn when facial hair comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function. Facial hair is allowed as long as it does not protrude under the respirator seal, or extend far enough to interfere with the device's valve function. Short mustaches, sideburns, and small goatees that are neatly trimmed so that no hair compromises the seal of the respirator usually do not present a hazard and, therefore, do not violate paragraph 1910.134(g)(1)(i).

In general, however, beards present serious problems for tight-fitting facepiece respirators because their texture and density vary daily, causing unreliable respirator fit and, therefore, present a higher potential for leakage. However, some other types of respirators do not require a face seal, and thus, usually can be worn with facial hair, such as loose fitting powered air-purifying respirators and hooded powered air-purifying respirators.

OSHA has addressed similar questions and outlined the Agency’s interpretation in letters posted on OSHA’s public website, www.osha.gov. See 3/7/2003 and 4/1/2011 letters of interpretation to Senator Levin and Mr. Randy Southard, respectively (copies enclosed). In addition, OSHA’s Small Entity Compliance Guide for the Respiratory Protection Standard (#3384) and the compliance directive, Inspection Procedures for the Respiratory Protection Standard, CPL 02-00-158, provide additional information. These two guidance documents and others can be found on the Respiratory Protection Safety and Health Topics page at http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/respiratoryprotection/index.html.

Thank you for your interest in occupational safety and health. We hope you find this information helpful. OSHA’s requirements are set by statute, standards, and regulations.  Our letters of interpretation do not create new or additional requirements but rather explain these requirements and how they apply to particular circumstances. This letter constitutes OSHA’s interpretation of the requirements discussed. From time to time, letters are affected when the agency updates a standard, a legal decision impacts a standard, or changes in technology affect the interpretation. To assure that you are using the correct information and guidance, please consult OSHA’s website at http://www.osha.gov. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Health Enforcement at (202) 693-2190.

Sincerely,

Thomas Galassi, Director
Directorate of Enforcement Programs

Enclosures

Personally, I think it was a mistake to allow them.  Notwithstanding the above, there is little to no enforcement of the published grooming standards.  As a result many (not all) look like an embarrassment to the profession.  The policy doesn't mean you don't have to shave, yet many treat it as such.  I've started calling guys out on it.

Just my opinion.

Our maintenance staff use respirators when working with solvents and other noxious chemicals and we fit test them annually. They must be clean shaven when they take the test. WorkSafe BC has pulled the ticket of a few testing services who werent enforcing that rule - and for good reason. I’ve done that fit test and experienced how little of a break in the seal it took to have the acrid test smoke make me gag. To each his own I guess but there’s no way I will ever fly without being clean shaven, just in case I have a bad day and need to wear that mask to stay alive.

2 hours ago, Canoehead said:

Personally, I think it was a mistake to allow them.  Notwithstanding the above, there is little to no enforcement of the published grooming standards.  As a result many (not all) look like an embarrassment to the profession.  The policy doesn't mean you don't have to shave, yet many treat it as such.  I've started calling guys out on it.

Just my opinion.

"Published grooming standards"

Lol, got that brochure in the mail I think... 

And some guys need a haircut, or to fix whatever it is they've been getting that they call a haircut... some are deathly in need of new shoes, others should dryclean their pants for Fs sake... or get rid of the wheels from China that light up pink when you walk...

Everyone I see wearing beards look great. Better than some of the staches I've seen over the years at least... I say keep on keepin on...

Not a fan of the facial growth...still think hats are part of the uniform....that’s why it is called “uniform”.

As VP pointed out, this policy changed at AC not because of concerns over the pilot group, but because the co. hired an individual from a specific cultural group.

I originally thought/heard that also, but I have it on good authority that's actually not true.

It was coming anyway.

Jeez, I don't know why anyone cares! Beards are accepted in our society... From business to government to academia to celebrities...

1 hour ago, st27 said:

Not a fan of the facial growth...still think hats are part of the uniform....that’s why it is called “uniform”.

As VP pointed out, this policy changed at AC not because of concerns over the pilot group, but because the co. hired an individual from a specific cultural group.

Easy now.  I know the background story and have heard the same "theory".  In case anyone here doesn't know - I'm one of the "older" cohort and, personally, I prefer the clean-shaven look too but the true reason for it goes back to a time when virtually all pilots were ex-military and all the managers were ex-military so clean-shaven airline pilots was assumed as the natural order.  The justification of the O2 mask issue has been proven false.  If you look around the non-airline part of society you will see beards are very popular; 20-somethings, businessmen, soccer dads travelling with their family to Florida.  I don't think it's out-of-line for airlines to modernize the options.  The caveat of course is that beards must be neatly trimmed.

Beards must be neatly trimmed......ok but some of the guys think they have a beard but really, they don’t..if you get my drift. As for “it was coming anyway”... since when does AC do anything that doesn’t have a PC spin to it? It may not have been for the one individual, but the co. was just looking down the road.

Minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

The best one I remember back in the day being told that mustache wax would spontaneously combust in the presence of oxygen (not true, of course). I bought some mustache wax once out of curiosity. It is disgusting, icky stuff. If it catches fire, you deserve it.  It is an excellent birth control method because no right headed woman would come near you without bursting into laughter.

4 hours ago, j.k. said:

I originally thought/heard that also, but I have it on good authority that's actually not true.

It was coming anyway.

Jeez, I don't know why anyone cares! Beards are accepted in our society... From business to government to academia to celebrities...

Well, why don’t we get rid of uniform hats, ties, and start wearing baseball caps backwards at work too?

Societal norms are not the litmus test for workplace appearance. I have no interest in going to see my banker looking as if every day at work is causal dress Friday or see my doctor in board shorts and a t shirt.

Regardless of the background spin on beards at AC, at its core it was shaping up as a human rights issue. I am not passing judgement on that. But the fallout does not look professional.

3 hours ago, rudder said:

Societal norms are not the litmus test for workplace appearance.

Actually they are.  Or more correctly, societal norms inform the rules of workplace appearance.  Maybe you're not aware that employees can now wear jeans while travelling on a pass.  This was an adjustment to societal norms.  Wasn't too long ago that mandatory dress for pass travel was a suit and tie.  Are you against this change too?  Progress my friend - embrace it.

58 minutes ago, Fido said:

When did this happen?

Was there a notice sent out?

No notice, just showed up on the travel site, been a few years I think.  Won't go into the details since Kip was good enough to post them.

3 hours ago, seeker said:

No notice, just showed up on the travel site, been a few years I think.  Won't go into the details since Kip was good enough to post them.

Is there a difference for economy or business?

8 hours ago, Canoehead said:

Brochure yes, but it's also published policy at Jazz.

It's not being followed correctly by many.

Jazz policies? 

Yeah, yeah there's an AC FOM note... 1/2", trimmed... probably the line right below no facial hair below your upper lip line for those wearing moustaches.

I haven't heard anyone complaining against the moustache guys with bushy staches or handlebars wrapping down the sides.

Archived