Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Where were you that fateful day? ..... 09 11

Glued to the TV all,day....

I  remember making my kids watch the reruns when they came home from grade school trying to explain how the future of the world had just dramatically turned.

Edited by Jaydee

Travelodge, CYYZ, 8th floor. Woke up to CBC radio news talking about some "light airplane" running into one of the WTC buildings. Turned on the TV ~ 8:40, saw a great smoking hole in the north tower and thought "that was no small airplane."  As the talking heads continued their commentary, I watched what appeared to be a 737 in the background. Moments later, the top of the south tower exploded. The talking heads took about 15 seconds before they clued in. I was glued to the TV in the 8th floor common room when the south tower collapsed and thought "there goes my job (@ C-3)".  When the second tower collapsed, after listening to the other attacks on the Pentagon and the failed attack which ended up in a deserted field, I thought "there goes my career."

Wasn't too far off the mark. Less than 2 months later, C3 suddenly closed its doors. It took me 6 months to find another job and a year and a half to regain my career on the heavy metal.

Many others in our field were not as fortunate. I feel blessed I was able to hang on and get back into it, if only after a year and a half.

Great idea for a thread, in advance of the anniversary of that fateful day. Thanks, Jaydee!

• Like 1

At work at Pearson.  Everything pretty much stopped.  I have never heard the airport so silent.  We watched things unfold in the pilots lounge and eventually closed up shop and went home.

• Like 1

Had just dropped kids to school. Nice sunny clear September morning. Turned on tv which just happened to be on CNN and not believing what was being shown live. 

However, I was supposed to be on my way to EWR that same morning to catch an America West flight to PHX for recurrent simulator. The C3/A320 Captain was a friend and I had asked to ride the jumpseat as I was going to bid the A330 next round and wanted to see what the Airbus was all about. But my schedule changed and I was at home instead. However, their flight did depart as scheduled and landed just before the first plane hit the tower. They watched the smoke rise above Manhattan while sitting on the ramp at Newark. Its quite possible they were in close proximity to all to all of the ill fated 911 flights as they operated YYZ-EWR. 

One of many events that changed my working life in 2001 but perhaps the most significant as it scared people from flying. September 10th was the biggest booking day ever for Canada 3000. The days following were next to zero according to Angus Kinnear. 

Edited by blues deville

I was supposed to do a flight that morning but had booked off the night before.  Felt bad for "my" flight as they went into YUL and it took the crew days to get home.  Watched all day as well.

Wife woke me up and pointed to the TV, I immediately thought terrorists. Got up, showered and went to work for the next 16 hours.