Air Canada fined $65K

Jaydee

Air Canada fined $65K, blasted for 'rude' behaviour after family forced off flight

“ A consumer commission in India has ordered Air Canada and partnering airline, Jet Airways, to pay a Canadian family about $65,000 Cdn. The money is meant to compensate the family for the "mental agony and harassment" they suffered when Air Canada ordered them off a flight.

In September 2017, Minali Mittal from Oakville, Ont., and her two young children boarded a Toronto-bound Air Canada flight after a stopover in New Delhi. 

According to Mittal, her 11-year-old daughter Teesha threw up due to a bad smell on the plane. Cabin crew said Teesha was unfit to travel and ordered the family to leave, stranding them at the airport. Mittal's son Rivansh was just three at the time. “

”  Air Canada said the family had to disembark because Teesha was ill and her safety could be compromised if her condition worsened mid-flight. If she required an emergency landing, that would inconvenience other passengers, the airline said. 

"We acted in the best interests of an ill child and for the well-being of all other passengers," Fitzpatrick told CBC News.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-india-family-flight-1.4815089

Interesting juxtaposition with the article about the Emirates quarantine.

It's impossible to know how sick someone actually is on the basis of symptoms on boarding.  Someone sick enough to vomit while boarding could have a lot of things, some of them pretty bad.

Imagine if they had taken this person and they had gone critically bad during a long haul flight - or spread an illness to passengers around them who went on to suffer bad outcomes. What would the press or courts have made of that?

No winning here.  I am clearly biased, but the whole thing looks a bit opportunistic to me.

Vs

25 minutes ago, Vsplat said:

Interesting juxtaposition with the article about the Emirates quarantine.

It's impossible to know how sick someone actually is on the basis of symptoms on boarding.  Someone sick enough to vomit while boarding could have a lot of things, some of them pretty bad.

Imagine if they had taken this person and they had gone critically bad during a long haul flight - or spread an illness to passengers around them who went on to suffer bad outcomes. What would the press or courts have made of that?

No winning here.  I am clearly biased, but the whole thing looks a bit opportunistic to me.

Vs

Agreed, utterly worthless piece of journalism.

I had this dozens of times over the last 10 years. Each time we would call Medlink (doctor) and each time they had the pax removed until they had at least 12 hours symptom free (no vomiting). It happened so often that there was always the thought to not bother making the call and simply have the person offloaded. I always did make the call though for this exact reason - if a doctor advised against travel you have covered yourself, your crew, your airline AND looked after the best interest of the passenger.

2 hours ago, Trader said:

I had this dozens of times over the last 10 years. Each time we would call Medlink (doctor) and each time they had the pax removed until they had at least 12 hours symptom free (no vomiting). It happened so often that there was always the thought to not bother making the call and simply have the person offloaded. I always did make the call though for this exact reason - if a doctor advised against travel you have covered yourself, your crew, your airline AND looked after the best interest of the passenger.

Absolutely, CYA.

It also said Air Canada shouldn't have diagnosed the child without seeking medical attention.

"An air hostess cannot decide if somebody's sick or unfit to travel," said Mittal.

Yes. We should wait for the child to be treated at a suitable clinic or hospital and diagnosed by a doctor before the flight can leave. Makes complete sense.

Well, they have jurisdiction over Air Canada's dealings with consumers in India, so if the airline intends to continue operating there, they'll have to resolve this, one way or another. 

IMO, it is critical that this this brought back to a fact based finding, otherwise it is going to be open season for opportunists and the airlines will look like the victims in a bad zombie movie.

Vs

Archived