Air Canada, WestJet raising checked luggage fees

Lakelad

Air Canada, WestJet raising checked luggage fees

Airlines increase fees to $30 for 1st checked bag, $50 for 2nd checked item

Mon Aug 27, 2018 - CBC News

Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd. are raising fees for passengers to check their bags.

The country's two largest airlines are raising the fee for the first checked bag to $30 from $25. They will also raise the price of checking a second piece of luggage to $50 from $30.

Air Canada and WestJet say the increases follow similar fee bumps by major U.S. airline JetBlue Airways Corp., as well as rising fuel prices and other costs.

For years, the airlines checked the first bag for free, a policy that largely ended across the industry by 2014.

The increases were put in place this week for domestic flight bookings, and with WestJet are effective for international flights booked starting Tuesday.

The fees apply to the lowest fare classes at both airlines.

1 hour ago, moeman said:

And we thought cabin baggage was out of hand before...

I would bet it will not be long before we see a change in cabin baggage also.

2 hours ago, conehead said:

Swoop charges for carry on? I didn’t know that... how much is the fee?

Sure do. If you need to bring a carry-on, book it before you go the airport. It's cheaper when you book the flight, more when you get to the check-in counter and a lot more if you have to pay at the gate. In fact, the first checked bag is less expensive than a carry-on.

You can bring a small personal item  at no charge provided it fits under the seat in front of you. Note that if you don't book an "extra room" seat and you're more than 5 feet tall, your knees will be screaming at you after about 15 minutes with your personal item under the seat. The seat pitch in the standard configuration is brutal! I paid for an extra room seat and it was well worth it.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

So thats $3 a tank compared to $5 a bag.  Still too much because this will make the cabin baggage worse than it already is.

$3 more per tank that I fill 45 times a year or $5 more per bag I check 3 times a year.

Wouldn't dropping the fee $5 encourage more people to check bags, and make the onboard experience better ??

Or is it to late now that the cat is out of the bag in regards to bag checked at the gate for free ????

2 hours ago, AIP said:

Wouldn't dropping the fee $5 encourage more people to check bags, and make the onboard experience better ??

Or is it to late now that the cat is out of the bag in regards to bag checked at the gate for free ????

I suspect it will only be a matter of time before that changes to an inflated charge for any oversize bag checked at the gate.

I was wondering about the science of yield management.....has it got to the point where the “ boffins” have deduced that it is more productive to make room in the belly for another can of cargo than it is for a can of free checked  baggage. May as well stuff the overhead bins than bump cargo.... ie make people carry their crap than check it ..just a thought.

It wasn't "boffins" calculating anything, it was Wall Street fetishizing ancillary revenue streams in this and every other industry and airlines enthusiastically torching their carefully honed brands and every iota of public good will in pursuit of that ancillary revenue.

Wall Street saw perfection in the cable television industry and demanded that it's practices be emulated by all.

Archived