Spraying in New Zealand

Water bombers reload on lakes and I don’t think there’s much room for improvement to the very impressive 12 - 15 seconds it takes to uplift 1500 US gallons into the CL215T. As for the fire retardant tankers (they drop the red stuff), we routinely do hot reloads (engines running). Loading 2100 US gallons in the CV580 tank takes five to seven minutes. Gravity feeding isn’t possible because the retardant has to be mixed during the loading process to prevent settling of the ingredients. 

6 hours ago, J.O. said:

Speaking of retardant, some video from a recent fire near Kamloops. This one grew to 400 hectares quite quickly.

That’s an interesting video JO. Any idea on what caused the fire?

Found this info from Global news:

One Kamloops resident says fire investigators are looking into contractor’s work as the cause of the fire Thursday.

Jules LaRue was visiting his mother down the road from his house on Shuswap Road on the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc reserve east of Kamloops Thursday when he heard there was a fire behind his house.

“I came up here and I was told that the investigation is done now and it does appear that the fire was caused by someone cutting metal,” LaRue told Global News Thursday. “That they had a little, not a little, a big magnet. They were picking up filings from metal being cut and there was a big piece of metal over there you could tell it was freshly cut.”

Archived